Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Mo owner, new member, first time poster.
('04 SE Pewter, Touring, Nav, Sirius)

When evaluating different alternatives, I was struck by one thing. How much the rest of the category sucked! Even when they had lots of great features inside, they drove like a massive truck and were absolutely no fun to drive.

And the worst thing was that NOTHING with a V6 matched the Murano / Infinity for fuel effeciency. I sat in HEAVY traffic today and still got 18.5MPG Today!

We just turned in my wife's lease (2000 Honda CRV aka the gutless wonder) and I refused to go back to another 4.

Anyway, on to the actual comparison. The only one that I found to be somewhat favorable was the Acura MDX. It had the best NAV system I've ever seen in any car, period. The voice features are very cool, although they didn't seem to be that accurate on my test drive. (I'm assuming some voice learning would be necessary.)

Unfortunately the thing was REALLY expensive (going to be over 40K loaded) and it drove like tank. While I appreciate the pickup the engine had, it just felt like I was driving a big truck with all the handling that goes with it.

Anyone else notice this? Having driven a Maxima for 6 years, I just couldn't deal with the feel of the MDX.

- The Fu

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't."

·
Registered
554 Posts
I checked out a number of vehicles when looking at a new car. While the field of candidates started with darn near every mid-size SUV out there (and some smaller ones), it got down to the Murano vs. MDX. The two really big things that caused me to fall onto the Murano side was the MDX was TOO FRIGGIN EXPENSIVE!! Dealer would not budge from MSRP on an '04 ("they're selling too well here") of well over $40K without tax tags etc. Murano will ALL the same features (including an aftermarket backup sensor that looks factory) was $5-7K less (about $300 over invoice). The second reason was the ride. The MDX was too floaty. Didn't feel like it had good road grip or driver feedback.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Lau Fu..i like your signature... and

lau fu = tiger in chinese lang. right? Your avatar :D
(I spoke a bit of chinese and japs as i worked with some clients from there years ago)

I test drove rx330, acura mdx and the murano.
If i would have gone other than murano, i'd rather get rx330 then acura. The price is around the same. But somehow i like the feeling of driving the rx better than acura.

Murano car like handling and ride are i think comparable to X5. I drove the x5 before and i like it, it is a pitty that the price is 40Kish for the 4.5. The 3.0 is just not exhiliriating.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Didn't "do" the MDX.

Tried the Highlander and Pilot.
Both nice boring crossovers.
Retired now and watch my pennys a little bit.

Back when I worked 100 a living, it mattered less, but I never really wanted a "truck" so the MDX was never a consideration.

Homer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Lau Fu..i like your signature... and

SugarRushMurano said:
lau fu = tiger in chinese lang. right? Your avatar :D
My hat is off to you, sir. You are, I kid you not, the FIRST person in the almost 5 years I've been using the name to know what it meant without me telling them first.

Lau Hu is the other (more popular) way to say it (different kind of tiger, I believe), but I liked the sound of Lau Fu better.

And it morphs so nicely into "Loud Fool" when I go on a rant. ;-)

As for the binary line, I wish I could take credit for it, but I found it rand(omly). R(D)R^2

- The Fu

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't."

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have both. MDX drive is great and is much smoother than the Murano's. Murano and MDX have the same 0-60 times and just about the same pickup. The Murano just sounds louder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i would much rather have the MO, which i do.
i get tons of posotive responses from my friends, and
the MO has a "badass" look to it :1:

the mdx, i have to say though, has a more badass GPS system.

·
4,601 Posts
The MDX is built by Canadians, Eh.

The Murano is built by Japanese.

Hmmm... The MDX plant is a customer of mine. Good guys...

·
5,244 Posts
This is like comparing apples and oranges.......when I was shopping for a car I wanted a good performance sedan with plenty of space. I tested Acura TL S, Honda Accord, Nissan Maxima, Nissan Altima (never looked at Toyota Camry for obvious reasons). Nothing really “taken me. Then I saw Murano and test drove it. Love from first sight………because it was no SUV!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I wanted an SUV that would be a different story: Toyota Land Cruiser, Acura MDX (not much off road capabilities!), Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pathfinder etc.

I wanted something different so I went for Murano. With the FX was EXACTLY the same case.

So please do not compare MO to RX, MDX, Highlander etc. It is completely different vehicle in a class on its own…………..yes it has some problems (rattles etc.) but I still love it!…………….So go for it or………………..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts