Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help?!
My Mo won't run:(
I was driving last night from work... I hit gas.... nothing not even a sign of increasing Rpm’s, the following lights came on:"Service Engine soon", "AWD", "VDC OFF". After restarting the engine It drove for a couple hundred feet and did the same thing: neither revs nor movement. (full frustration) I turned the engine off the second time. The only light was still on "Service Engine Soon". I somehow managed to my garage .

Tried to start this morning-it starts, however the"SES" light is still on.
Questions:
1 does it sounds like an alternator?
2 CVT???
3 Is it safe to drive to my dealer-22 miles
there two more Nissan places 4, 12 miles-unfamiliar with them
4 If I am to tow, would Nissan cover towing fees?

My mo just turned one year last month. 18K and still loving it.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
466 Posts
That sounds like the Alternator...I would call your local dealer and have them tow it in....They should cover all the towing costs...Good luck and let us know how it turns out...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW,
That was quick. Thanks.
I'm on the phone with them.
I'll let you all know.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
So do we got a free tow from dealership....

for alternator problem, eventhough we dont buy GOLD Warranty?

That sounds like the Alternator...I would call your local dealer and have them tow it in....They should cover all the towing costs...Good luck and let us know how it turns out...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nissan Canada provides free "Roadside Assistance" as part of its basic warranty coverage which includes free towing. If you have AWD, the towing must be done on a flat deck truck otherwise AWD system will be destroyed....

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Re: So do we got a free tow from dealership....

SugarRushMurano said:
for alternator problem, eventhough we dont buy GOLD Warranty?

I would expect even the base warranty to cover towing up to a certain distance, 50 miles or something. Also check your car insurance policy. You may have breakdown coverage, where they'll cover towing up to 50 or 100 miles. If I break down more than 100 miles from home, my insurance will even cover reasonable meals and lodging for me, and cover car rentals while the car is out for repair. Most people only think of their insurance when they get into accidents. There's often much more to it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update:
The dealer is sending a tow, since my car is still under basic warranty, free of charge. On the problem-no diagnosis ..yet.
I am twenty two miles away from the dealer.
Moreover, I don't have to be there as long as two sets of keys
are available.
I did mention AWD, and I DO hope they will send a flat bed.
Thank you for input.
Did I say that I miss Mo already???

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Sounds like the electronic throttle control malfunctioned. If your alternator went bad, the charge light would come on.

When the MAF sensor on my Maxima went bad, it would do the thing you mentioned, move 20 feet, then stall. So, the dealer should also check the MAF sensor.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Yeah, you didn't mention the battery and brake lights, so it doesn't seem to be the alternator. Hopefully whatever it is it gets resolved quickly.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eric L. said:
Sounds like the electronic throttle control malfunctioned. If your alternator went bad, the charge light would come on.

When the MAF sensor on my Maxima went bad, it would do the thing you mentioned, move 20 feet, then stall. So, the dealer should also check the MAF sensor.
Hey Eric L.,
The battery light didn't come on. Moreover, I even checked on all the lights -all stay on for a second or two. Only this sucker "SES"is still on:(
Could you tell me more about that MAF sensor of yours?
Thank you.
ra3boy

p.s. as of 5:00 p.m Eastern, my car sits on dealer's lot, and my service advisor has gone for today. No one knows if the car was looked at:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Not quite sure what else I can say about the Mass Air Flow sensor, except its the part of the intake system which measures the amount of airflow using a "hot wire" probe. If your MAF malfunctions, the electronic throttle will not function properly either.

MAF sensors can potentially be fouled by oil from aftermarket intake filters, such as K&N. However, when my MAF sensor failed, it was still perfectly clean, so I know it was not my JWT cone that did it in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An update:
10:00 a.m. Eastern
The Throttle Chamber was ordered via NIssan Emergency Line. (what's emergency line anyway?) This is the sucker that failed miserably on my precious MO. The DET for the part is MOnday, 20th.
We are getting three days of snow.... non stop. That's when MO is needed the most. Not that I'm not having fun with wife's 300M. If it was a little higher than 36F, I woud definately gor for a ride :D

Thank you all for the input.
Great Forum, as always!
I found an old thread:Throttle Chamber

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An update:
10:00 a.m. Eastern
The Throttle Chamber was ordered via NIssan Emergency Line. (what's emergency line anyway?) This is the sucker that failed miserably on my precious MO. The DET for the part is MOnday, 20th.
We are getting three days of snow.... non stop. That's when MO is needed the most. Not that I'm not having fun with wife's 300M. If it was a little higher than 36F, I woud definately gor for a ride :D

Thank you all for the input.
Great Forum, as always!
I found an old thread:Throttle Chamber

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Final Update:
After cruising Manhattan in F-150 Super Cab for a few days, my MO is back:) :

All parts came from overseas. At least I was told so.
Ford builds great trucks, but Murano is da best:D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Glad you got your Murano back. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, same problem at 28k:
AWD, VDC, and SES lights are on;engine runnig but won't move.
After killing the engine a few times it did drive. SES(Service Engine Soon ) light is still on.
Called Nissan, the first thing I was told-there is alternator recall for 03-05, and my VIN falls into the range. However, this doesn't look like alternator: brake & battery lights did not come on.
Throttle Chamber again???
The car is at dealer, not a word on the problem yet...

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Please keep up posted. Good information. Sorry to hear about the issues with your MO.

Good luck.

·
Registered
593 Posts
ra3boy said:
Well, same problem at 28k:
AWD, VDC, and SES lights are on;engine runnig but won't move.
After killing the engine a few times it did drive. SES(Service Engine Soon ) light is still on.
Called Nissan, the first thing I was told-there is alternator recall for 03-05, and my VIN falls into the range. However, this doesn't look like alternator: brake & battery lights did not come on.
Throttle Chamber again???
The car is at dealer, not a word on the problem yet...
Doesn't sound like the alternator since that warning didn't come on. Could be a few things. Let us know what they say.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not the alternator!

Same problem, same solution-Throttle Chamber Assembly & gascket were replaced. I was told there were lots of the same issues .
Since my car was there anyways, I got the alternator replaced.
For additional info click here:Service Report

P.S.161198J103 MSRP $872.33 List $628.08
Fuel system - Fuel induction - Throttle body
THROTTLE BODY, Murano 2003 - 2004
Time for extended warranty?!
I'd like to hear some input on
extended warranty. Thank you

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just had my throttle chamber fail yesterday,8600 mi. SES light, minimal revs.
Dealer replaced in 2 hours, all better for now.No alternators in stock.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts