Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We let me clairify, Sunday I was pulling by open bed trailer with 4 @ 6' folding press board tables. So not really a lot of weight. So I backed down my friends driveway, it's about 20-25% grade. I had no problem backing, I stopped (applied E-Brake and put it in park) and unloaded some plastic lawn chairs. Also note I had 4 people in the car including myself. So, I was getting ready to leave and I think(sometime a mistake), OK I will put the AWD lock on just in case the tires want to spin. I let off the e-brake, put it in D, give it gas, and more gas and petal to the floor, and all I do is start rolling backward. My friend's son say's put it in first.... I told him I didn't have a first, and I begining to believe I didn't drive either.. So not really thinking, I didn't tell everybody to get out, I just roll back about another 5 feet down the hill, and gunned it... Well like the little engine that could it sloooooooowwwwwly started to move, I finally started to build up enough steam to get up the hill. But I would have though that the MO would have done the job without such a struggle. Also what I found also strange, is when I gave the MO gas, it seem to clamp RPM that the engine would rev up that high....

Anyway, has anyone ever experience this? Do you think (or know) if I exceeded the MO ablity?

·
Registered
842 Posts
wa4qfy said:
We let me clairify, Sunday I was pulling by open bed trailer with 4 @ 6' folding press board tables. So not really a lot of weight. So I backed down my friends driveway, it's about 20-25% grade. I had no problem backing, I stopped (applied E-Brake and put it in park) and unloaded some plastic lawn chairs. Also note I had 4 people in the car including myself. So, I was getting ready to leave and I think(sometime a mistake), OK I will put the AWD lock on just in case the tires want to spin. I let off the e-brake, put it in D, give it gas, and more gas and petal to the floor, and all I do is start rolling backward. My friend's son say's put it in first.... I told him I didn't have a first, and I begining to believe I didn't drive either.. So not really thinking, I didn't tell everybody to get out, I just roll back about another 5 feet down the hill, and gunned it... Well like the little engine that could it sloooooooowwwwwly started to move, I finally started to build up enough steam to get up the hill. But I would have though that the MO would have done the job without such a struggle. Also what I found also strange, is when I gave the MO gas, it seem to clamp RPM that the engine would rev up that high....

Anyway, has anyone ever experience this? Do you think (or know) if I exceeded the MO ablity?
I tow a 800KG (1800lbs) tent trailer and I have had to do the same hill climb with the trailer that you did with no problems. Is this the only time that it has happen, maybe you want to try it with just for people in the Mo to see if it happens again. If it does you may want to have a talk with the transmission guy at the dealer( note I said the mech not the SA) and see what he says. Keep us posted

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
wa4qfy-

According to the 2005 Owner's Manual the MO has a Gross Combined Weight Rating of 8,100 pounds. That is the maximum weight of the car, occupants, and trailer. Since the MO weighs just slightly under 4,000 pounds and assuming you had 4 people at an average weight of 150 pounds (4 x 150 = 600) the MO had an available capacity of 3,500 pounds, which coincidently is the maximum towing weight. So I doubt you exceeded the MO's ability unless the trailer and tables weighed over a ton and a half.

Another forum member, MightyMo, pulls a car trailer without any reported problems, and he is at the 3,500 pound max rating.

Something else is wrong. Do you have VDC? Maybe the Traction Control System (TCS) kicked in which limited the RPMs. But that would only occur if the traction was limited. Was the driveway paved or gravel? Was the ground wet?

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
It takes a lot of power (torque) to shift a large load, and I am not surprised that at the MO's maximum GVWR capacity, it would take some real straining to get the vehicle moving, from a stop, up a 25% grade (which is quite steep).

Also its possible the traction control or VDC stepped in, and cut power because you were not moving.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Uh...I'm well over that 3500 lb limit :D .

I tow just a shade over 5000, total weight including gear and me is just over 10,000 lbs.

That being said, the Mo's computer does restrict the throttle at zero/low MPH to protect the CVT transmission. Starting on a silly steep grade or pulling stumps is NOT what the Mo is designed for, so be warry of situations like that.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
MightyMo said:
Uh...I'm well over that 3500 lb limit :D .

I tow just a shade over 5000, total weight including gear and me is just over 10,000 lbs.

That being said, the Mo's computer does restrict the throttle at zero/low RPM to protect the CVT transmission. Starting on a silly steep grade or pulling stumps is NOT what the Mo is designed for, so be warry of situations like that.
Thats a good point - in the case above, the trailer (down a slope) would act like a brake, and gassing the motor would effectively brake torque the transmission, a situation the ECU/TCM would certainly limit torque for, to protect the CVT.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Eric L. said:

Thats a good point - in the case above, the trailer (down a slope) would act like a brake, and gassing the motor would effectively brake torque the transmission, a situation the ECU/TCM would certainly limit torque for, to protect the CVT.
But it certainly would not limit it to the point where it was unable to move forward. Something is wrong somewhere.

If MightyMo can handle 10,000 pounds on a level grade, the MO in question should be able to handle 5,000 pounds on a 20% grade.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
njjoe said:

But it certainly would not limit it to the point where it was unable to move forward. Something is wrong somewhere.

If MightyMo can handle 10,000 pounds on a level grade, the MO in question should be able to handle 5,000 pounds on a 20% grade.

-njjoe
Possibly, but it takes a lot more force to move something up a slope. I can easily push my Murano around on flat ground in Neutral, but on any slope, I'm sure it would be impossible. On a 20% slope, I'd jump out of the way to prevent getting run over. :p

To push something (on wheels like a trailer or car) on flat ground from a stop, you only need to overcome the friction (mu mg) between the tires and the ground (and I guess the axle and the wheels). To pull something up a hill, you have to overcome the friction mentioned above, and the force of gravity acting on the same object down the hill (mg sin theta).

·
Registered
485 Posts
Eric L. said:

On a 20% slope, I'd jump out of the way to prevent getting run over. :p
When my rig is fully loaded up I routinely run screaming from it even on level ground! Then I take a deep breath and keep driving... :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank for the replies...

As far as the VDC, I did not turn it off, so that might have caused it. But it was a concrete driveway with a good rough grid for traction.

As far as the trailer load, it could not have been that much, maybe 120-150lbs plus the weight of the trailer... maybe 1000 total (not sure). As far as pulling the trailer this is the first time I have pulled it with the MO, I have used it many time with my CR-V, but not on his drive.

I may just run out to his house again and do a couple of experiments. Plus I need to figure out the actually grade, it's steep! I would not want to live at his house when there is ice, then he might have a car in his living room ;)

Needless to say I was either at the limits or something like VDC kicked in thinking it knew better....

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
There are some streets in San Francisco with grades that look almost 45 degrees if not more....!

A few weeks ago I was trying to find a parking space in one of them and with 3 passengers and a full tank, but no other loads, my MO had no trouble at all, not even a bit of hesitation.....

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
zebelkhan said:
There are some streets in San Francisco with grades that look almost 45 degrees if not more....!

A few weeks ago I was trying to find a parking space in one of them and with 3 passengers and a full tank, but no other loads, my MO had no trouble at all, not even a bit of hesitation.....
I grew up in San Francisco and I still remember the times I would be riding in the car and my parents would shift the automatic transmission into low gear going up those steep hills. I once heard Taylor Street is the steepest normal street in SF. You really learn to appreciate the automobile (even one that had to be in 1 or 2 on an automatic to make it to the top) when you have to walk up the hill for a change.

EDIT: Sorry I was wrong, it wasn't Taylor. According to this link, the steepest San Francisco hill is 31.5 degrees. Wow!

http://www.magazineusa.com/cityguide/ca_sanfrancisco/c_hills.asp

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Towing is not an issue with the MO, several of us have towed quite a bit with the MO on steep grades with no problems. Sweetest TOW I ever did was when I carried my cherokee 600+ miles on a car dolly behind the MO.

I don't think it's VDC either, that will clamp the engine RPMs down so if you were gunning it, VDC detected slip and VDC kicked in, it would clamp the RPMs. So if you gunned it and the engine was holding high revs it isn't VDC.

I don't think it's AWD either as that just locks in the AWD transfer clutch below 5 or whatever mph. Unless the AWD is hosed and its acting like a brake but that doesn't explain it either.

It could be the CVT is low on fluid. On an incline, the fluid level could be shifted away from the pump pickup if it is low.

Or it could be something else is seriously wrong.

In any event, I would refrain from gunning the engine until you figure it out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When car manufactures list the towing capacity, they are not just talking about how much weight you can pull. It is a weight car can handle. That means breaking and handling are in considerations also. Car can pull much more than what towing capacity says, but may not be able to stop when you want to stop. Published towing capacity is the load car can safely handle under normal situations, not a limit of actual dead weight towing limit.

·
Registered
485 Posts
See, it can be done, ain't that a pretty picture? :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts