Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in So Cal and was contemplating using 10-30 vs 5-30. I've got another car that uses 10-30 and I'd rather just buy one weight of the Mobile 1.

Any concerns I should consider? The temperature here is very mild.

Also, Mobile has come out with an extended version of the oil which allow for extended periods for maintenance. Any comments on this?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Not at all, if temperatures do not fall below freezing, you can use 10w30 without a problem. In fact, its one of the recommended oil weights for the Murano (other than 5w30).

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
well from what i understand 10W-30 oil is ment for warmer climates such as your own. it can be used when temperatures don't fall lower that 15 C or 60 F. it is a thicker heavier oil ment to withstand breakdown from high enging temperatures. 5W-30 is ment for the fall/winter/ and early spring seasons with temperatures ranging lower than 15 C/60 F. i think it's safe to say that the 10W will work just fine.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
10w30 can be used down to 0F / -18C. I'll try to find the reference from the owners manual if I can...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
From the owners manual. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
hmmm.... looks like the murano's owners manual is much different than that of my dad's GMC sierra manual. well my bad hahha.

·
5,244 Posts
Say you have 2q 5 – 30 left from previous oil changes. You buy 2q of 10 – 30 and mix all together. What do you get?

7.5 – 30??????

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Kris said:
Say you have 2q 5 – 30 left from previous oil changes. You buy 2q of 10 – 30 and mix all together. What do you get?

7.5 – 30??????
Heh. Sure, why not? As far I know, oil can be mixed.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Nissanlove - is your dad's GMC a diesel? That could be why they give different readings. Or it's because it's GM....

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
nope no deisel in my dads truck (i wish, i crave the tourque that desiels put out) no.. my dads got the 5.3 V8 in it. jeesh what a gas hog. not to set this topic way off but my dads truck is starting to studder. when the engine is cold and you give it gas, it has a hard time speeding up, as if the engine is not getting enough gas or something. what do you all think it may be, fuel pump, injectors???

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
whoa, i just realised i spelled diesel differently twice in the last post and both spellings were wrong. i need to back to bed .:eek:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Depends..there are 3 major things that could cause it to run poorly.

Fuel, air or spark...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
spark plugs were put in 12000 km ago, iridium platinum+2 so it's defenitly not that.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
dare I suggest a snake oil....

but I think fuel injector cleaner isn't under the category snake oil.

Try some slick 50 fuel system conditioner (it is really an injector cleaner) on a little less than a 1/4 tank.
I have actually had it clean 02 sensors relieving a studdering GM with an check eng light on. It was right before an emissions check for a tag too, so I said, "what the heck" and tried it on half a quarter tank of gas. Ran it for about 10 miles (hard) and the light went off and the stumbling/studdering stopped--in 10 miles! So that kinda made me a believer in it. In fact, that engine never had a problem again for over 40k miles-I sold it after that.

10-50 has a stronger film strength at high temps. I don't think you would notice a differance in Cali at cold temps--it doesn't get cold enough for 10w50 to get thick. 5 flows better, but doesn't mechanically pump as well, I have noticed that on my cars with oil pressure guages, but only when cold (about 10 psi), when hot they had identical pressure readings.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
the last thing i tried to fix the studdering was dura lube engine restorer. it did work and stopped the studdering but supposedly it creates a teflon coating on the inside with isn't good for the engine.i'll check out the o2 sensor and the MAF sensor when i get a chance.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
nissanlove said:
the last thing i tried to fix the studdering was dura lube engine restorer. it did work and stopped the studdering but supposedly it creates a teflon coating on the inside with isn't good for the engine.i'll check out the o2 sensor and the MAF sensor when i get a chance.
This might not be related, but I believe some GM 5.3L engines have a persistent rattle due to some manufacturing defect. If you have the new all aluminum 5.3L (within the last year's production) I think GM corrected this issue.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
it's a 99 so it may have that issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts