Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my wife a used
'04 Murano. We were pleasantly suprised
to find that the car had the factory installled DVD as we were driving it home( we were not aware it had this option when we purchased it). No headphones were in the phone and of course when we asked the salesman, he said it came as-is. After some investigation on this website, I have learned that the headphones are wireless. So, does anyone know of any aftermarket headset that will work or do I have to go to a nissan dealer's part dept ? Where I might find the users manual on how this works ?

Any input on this option would be appreciated.
Regards,

·
4,664 Posts
Sounds like your salesman messed up... Good for you!

I wonder if they'll come back and try to take it out on your next visit.

Did you check all the storage compartments? Including the ones in the back?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are you sure that the dvd you saw was not the dvd drive for the NAV system? It is on the passengers side of what would be the transmission hump in the middle of the car. If the only monitor you have is the one in the dash, and the only dvd player, the one in the center, you probably just have the NAV setup and not an entertainment system. Of course this would all be irrelevant if you have that cool little monitor that flips up out of the console for the rear seat passengers. In that case, I would say you should start your headphone search at the parts counter and then spread out to aftermarket sources.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it was good for us. The deal was the dealer had two murano's. The cheaper one we could afford didn't have the features my wife wanted and the other one was out of our range. We didn't drive it we just looked inside.
We left the dealership and drove 200 miles home. The salesman called back a few days later and said he would give us our price, so we drove back and bought it at 10pm. It wasn't until I stopped to fill up the tank that I discovered the dvd player. I have called them and he said the person who traded it in 'lost' the headphones. It was an even bigger score for my teanage kid who sits in the back...I'll never benefit from it other than I won't hear a word on long trips.

Yes, it's the integrated one in the armrest. It plays dvd's great, just no sound. I saw this website and noticed all the technical hacks and thought someone may have conquered this issue. Best guess is all we need to know is the transmission frequency of the wireless system and get some aftermarket one's at that frequency to match. However, I'll start at the dealer, it may not be worth the trouble.

regards,
-g

·
Registered
564 Posts
The wireless headphones are a standard model that uses one of two possible frequencies (there's a switch on the phones labeled A or B for the frequencies - volume control and the on/off switch is on the other side). I can check the name brand of mine when I get home tonight and let you know. They are pretty common. My wife has the EXACT same headphones in her 2001 minivan from GM. They work in the Murano and the Murano's work in the minivan. I would think that you could buy them from someplace cheaper than a dealer. Let me know if you want the name brand and I'll get back to you.

ps: in the meantime, to get the player to pipe sound through your car's speakers, while the DVD is playing, press and hold the AUX key on the player itself (inside the armrest). Then tune your radio to 88.1FM. You'll hear the DVD sound through the speakers and can control the volume with the radio knob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Yes, if you could let me know who makes your headphones that would be great.
Your input is appreciated.
-g

·
Registered
564 Posts
Headphone brand

Hey New Guy:

Checked the earphones last night. Turns out there is NO label on them anywhere identifying brand! There is only a round white sticker on the inside of the headphones labeled "Made in China." I checked the operator's manual for the DVD player and did learn that it not only has a Nissan Part number, but a Clarion part number as well. From there, I'm going to hazard a guess that the phones are Clarion. One thing you might want to try is visiting your local electronics store (Circuit City, Best Buy, etc) and picking up a set of wireless headphones that look similar to the Nissan ones. Then try them out in your car. If they work, great! If not, you can always return them for a refund. I'll post a picture of them as soon as I can.

·
4,664 Posts
Jim C said:
Then tune your radio to 88.1FM. You'll hear the DVD sound through the speakers and can control the volume with the radio knob.
They're using an FM modulator? That's whacked...:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks JimC,
I tried it last night and the frequency is
88.5FM. When I find the headphones I'll post them here for others. Too bad there isn't a way to use wired headphones.
-g

1 - 9 of 9 Posts