Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a 2004 Murano SE touring package with the VDC last Saturday. I love it. Getting Lojack and LEX invisible bra installed next week.(To protect the investment.) I have been reading all the forums to learn all I can about the Mo. I was disappointed to learn I won't be able to use that nice 160 MPH speedo. Governed at 118 sucks. We live in Arizona and speeds here are crazy. Normal crusing speed is usually around 100mph. I have needed 120mph on more than one occasion to get out of trouble in heavy traffic.(This has taken some getting used to, I am from Canada and am used to 60 to 70mph.) I have searched all over and can't find the answer to this question, can the restriction be lifted? To see what the real top speed is? There is alot of talk about pop chagers, intakes, filters, and exhaust. What is the point of all this if you can't let it out? So I do all this and then I can get to 118 in 20 seconds instead of 25, big deal. I did read JWT can lift the restriction, but saw nothing on the site. Has anyone done this yet? Or have any info? I did see a pic awhile ago before we got the Mo of a guys Murano speedo at 150mph.

Thanks guys.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Please don't do it on the 101 I drive there. GRIP :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GripperDon said:
Please don't do it on the 101 I drive there. GRIP :D
I don't do it by choice. I don't drive the 101 much too scary. I am talking mostly the 60 and also the 10 going back and forth to Tucson.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I'm not sure the limiter can be lifted on the Murano. I believe that speed limiters are removed by messing with the speed signal to the ECM (removing the signal, or changing it to report a lower speed). I doubt this will work on the Murano, because the computer needs this information to properly control the CVT. I wouldn't want to mess with it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tyler_Canada said:
I'm not sure the limiter can be lifted on the Murano. I believe that speed limiters are removed by messing with the speed signal to the ECM (removing the signal, or changing it to report a lower speed). I doubt this will work on the Murano, because the computer needs this information to properly control the CVT. I wouldn't want to mess with it.
There has to be a programmer out there that can change the computer settings on the Murano. If you can plug a box into a ford f150 and with a touch of a button gain 20 or more horses, I am sure a speed limitation can be lifted on a Murano. I am sure there are some Nissan employees out there that have ungoverned Murano's.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Just make sure that after you slip 100 bucks to the tech to disable the speed signal, that you slip $600 or so to the tire shop for tires that are rated high enough to sustain these speeds.;)

Homer

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
hfelknor said:
Just make sure that after you slip 100 bucks to the tech to disable the speed signal, that you slip $600 or so to the tire shop for tires that are rated high enough to sustain these speeds.;)

Homer
Good point. I heard tire rating is THE reason for the 118 MPH limit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has no one else thought of this before? I mean my girlfriends stock 97 4 door chevy lumina with 149000 miles, a whole in the radiator, a bad compressor and an oil leak will do more than 118 even on a bad day. The Murano certainly looks like it is built for speed. Who knows maybe half way through 2005 or for the 2006 model we will see a Murano SE-R. 0-60 in 6 seconds here I come.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zebelkhan said:

Good point. I heard tire rating is THE reason for the 118 MPH limit.
Big deal so I put some new tires on the vehicle. Seems like a strange reason to limit a vehicle. Alot of vehicles are sold that go faster than what the tires on them are rated.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I just recently saw some marketing literature for NISMO that showed the Murano all dressed up in NISMO pin stripes and logos and such. Most amusing.

As for the top speed issue, the Mo's stock tires won't do much more than 120. I'm sure an aftermarket ECU could fix that, and it's beautifully stable at that speed, just like a tall 4wd sport sedan should be.

Even my new Kumho STX tires are only rated "H", or 130MPH.

·
4,601 Posts
I've yet to see real justification for going faster... And I've gone faster, but the reality is that going faster to get out of trouble is an illusion.

Now if you're trying to avoid injury and would prefer death, than going faster is useful.:D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If you think going 120mph in the Murano is going to make your drive safer, then I think you just have the need for speed. There is no way the Murano will handle at 100+ MPH as stably as it does going 65.

I've driven the daily hell that is SF Bay Area and Los Angeles traffic. Yes merging power is very important, but going 100mph is not necessary at all.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Going really fast is a thrill....its not for safety or getting out of trouble...its a pure adrenaline rush..."mine can go faster than yours" is one of the basic concepts behind modifying cars...with a set of Z rated tires, who wouldn't want to see how fast a MO can go...anybody on the forum who follows "Z" car or G35 boards heard of programming out the speed limiter on a VQ?

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I've gone faster than I should have several times in my Mustang, however I just don't think it's smart anymore. I'd just hate to see this board littered with sticky posts like "so-and-so was in a terrible accident, please keep him in your prayers" just like the rest of the performance car boards out there...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jaak said:
I've yet to see real justification for going faster... And I've gone faster, but the reality is that going faster to get out of trouble is an illusion.

Now if you're trying to avoid injury and would prefer death, than going faster is useful.:D
I regularly drive interstate 10 in Arizona and most days the average speed is 100mph it is unavoidable. Even the truckers go 100 or more. On more than one occasion a trucker has decided to pull into my lane while I was beside him without looking. So yes being able to go 120 or more is a survival issue, not a need for speed. Not going faster would cause death in these cases. I can better control a vehicle while hitting the gas and accelerating than I can slamming on the brakes and hoping I won't get hit. When I don't need to drive fast I don't , I dont really like driving fast. What I do like is being able to if I have to.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe, tire issue aside, that the Murano was engineered to handle speeds over 120mph easily. I would even guess it would be stable at up to 160 or more with the right conditions. As I stated earlier I have seen a Murano speedo pic going much faster than 120. I just wish I could find it again. As I remeber the poster said it was very stable but that he would never go that fast again. Most or all I am just curious what the top speed or an ungoverned Murano would be. On more than one accassion I have seen car shows and mags review Mercedes and BMW cars where the engineers removed the limit just for the test. What about something like this for the Murano?

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
Is this the pic?

Its a photoshop.

·
5,244 Posts
Snow MO said:
Is this the pic?

Its a photoshop.
Nice pic! Well done.....;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
What will messing with the computer to increase speed do to the warranty ? could the dealer not tell that the signals had been "changed"

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm sure if one were to reprogram the ECM to eliminate the speed limiter, you could potentialy invalidate the warranty. Would the average dealer technician be able to detect it...who knows....I'm not saying it is a smart and sensible thing to do on a new car, but it sure would be fun.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts