1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
5,268 Posts
Check it out: tires

I was surprised as you when I saw it first time.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Very few new vehicles come with the best tires for that application. Its usually whichever company sells the tire to the manufacturer for the lowest price.

Among the other lousy OEM tires out there are the Bridgestone RE92, Goodyear Integrity, Goodyear Eagle LS, Goodyear Eagle RS-A (get a pattern yet?) General XP2000, Firestone FR680, and the very famous (and notoriously bad) Michelin MXV4 Energy.

Among the better OEM tires are the Continental CH95 that come on BMW's and Mercedes.

Oh how I wish we could get a decent all season performance tire for the Murano, like the Bridgestone RE950 or, Dunlop SP5000, or Dunlop Sport A2.

The tires on a car should far outperform the overall capability of the vehicle - the lousy Eagle LS squeal in protest at the the slightest hint of enthusiastic driving.

·
4,664 Posts
I've noticed lately that LS stands for Loud Suckers, as they do make a fair bit of road noise, as they've aged, and they squeal about the smallest of corners. Other than that, they have performed OK. They were fine in the rain today and it was coming down like crazy here!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I should be putting my new Toyo Proxes S/T on next week. Sized 255/60R18. These are summer tires though, not all seasons.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have Kuhmos on the Typhoon and I'm not totally happy with them. For the price they are great - but I've had better luck with BFGs.

I agree the Goodyears suck - I've never had good luck with Goodyears. They are either hard as rocks or have horrible treadwear - and even the hard ones don't wear well.

·
5,268 Posts
GMTURBO43

why are you not totally happy with Kumho.......I have shortlisted them for my MO and FX and would love to hear from users.......other choice would be Yokohama.......

·
Registered
792 Posts
Well...

I have the Ecsta 712s on the Typhoon. It has a bit more power than the Murano - but they aren't all that grippy. Wet weather performance is pretty good. Snow traction is fair - but they are Z-rated so how can I complain. I have to have 35# of pressure in them or they look flat - which translates to a stiffer ride.

They have worn pretty well - I ran them at 32# for awhile and the outside edges seemed to wear a bit. If I run them at 37# I spin all 4 tires :) Which is fun and all...

I MIGHT consider Kumho's for the Murano - not the 712s though. The snow traction kinda kills that. For the price - I don't think you can beat them. It depends on how much longer we own the Murano to see what I'll spend on tires ;)

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Eric.L.: Oh how I wish we could get a decent all season performance tire for the Murano, like the Bridgestone RE950 or, Dunlop SP5000, or Dunlop Sport A2.
I had 2 sets of dunlop sp5000 for my perv car (audi A4) and boyy even though it is a good tire, i think it wears out pretty fast. Just my 2cents here..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Had Kumho ecstas on a BMW a few years back. Don't buy them. THey cupped badly, were unbearably loud after 8000 miles and lasted 17K. I was taken in on the cheap price ... never again. Yokohamas are far better tires, the Kumhos just aren't worth it in my opinion.

Good luck if you go for them, maybe you'll have better luck.
]
]

REVHIGH !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I had Kumho Ecsta 712's in 235/45/17 on my 97 Maxima and they were excellent summer tires. Fantastic grip, wet or dry. Never tried them in the snow, but then they are not all season.

·
5,268 Posts
Thanks guys,

I was thinking about Kumho Ecsta STX. All season tires. To be honest I am not concern with snow/winter performance. no snow in Atlanta!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
When my day arrives, I'll see if the Brigstone Potenza tires come in the MO's size. I had a set on a previous car and at 40,000 they looked brand new.
Bob1

·
5,268 Posts
I have Bridgestone Potenza on the FX and am not very happy. After only 9k I can see appreciable wear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What exactly are you guys looking for in a tire? I've read some complain of grip and others complain of wear. There is no "right" tire. Everything's a compromise. On my truck, I'm happy to get 10,000 miles out of tires as long as the tires perform well. On thre Murano, all I care about is general safety and longevity.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
our murano had it's tires replaced at 15000 km. this was due to exreme uneven wear that we brought to nissans attention. turns out that that whole aligment and suspension calibration was out of wack. everything was adjusted to nissan spec and nissan supplied us brand new tires. 6000km later the tire still look farely new now that everything is in order. next tires are goin to be yokohama geolander ht/s. awesome all around summer winter traction and they look super cool too. excellent price also

·
5,268 Posts
Edward98 said:
What exactly are you guys looking for in a tire? I've read some complain of grip and others complain of wear. There is no "right" tire. Everything's a compromise. On my truck, I'm happy to get 10,000 miles out of tires as long as the tires perform well. On thre Murano, all I care about is general safety and longevity.
1. lasting at least 25k miles
2. good dry grip
3. good wet grip
4. ride quality
5. good steering response
6. good cornering
7. BE QUIET
8. resonable price
9. do not care about performance in snow

I know, each tire is a compromise. So I am looking for best of the above.......

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Many of us purchase the AWD Murano for traction in snow, so a good high performance all season tire would be nice to have. Since the higher performance Z+ rated tires tend to do poorly in snow, I would be happy with a competent all season H or V rated tire.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Different strokes........
I hate M&S tires.
I look for touring tires that are good in the rain.
I will give up mileage for grip.
Therefore I'm looking for a soft compound.
And I like a quiet tire.
With a tread that resists Hydroplaning, but doesn't "whine" on smooth dry roads.

Homer

1 - 20 of 33 Posts