Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone notice that Motor Trend has selected their SUV of the year for 2003? To qualify, the SUV had to be new or improved for 03 AND on sale by January 1st.

MT picked the Volvo XC90 as the winner, but for their selection, they only reviewed the Ford Expedition, Hummer H2, Lexus GX 470, Lincoln Aviator, Lincoln Nav. Honda Element, Mitsu Outlander, Subie Baja and Forester, 4 Runner, Pilot, Ascender and Sorento.

My question is why was the Murano left out of the contest? Either MT really missed the boat on this one, or there have been more delays on its release. Either way, I sure wish Nissan would get one into the hands of a good test mag.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it's far more likely that Nissan didn't have any production units available for testing prior to the test date.
Magazines have extremely long lead times on testing and articles, so a November magazine was probably scheduled and booked 2-3 months prior. Which precludes the Murano from making the cut for that issue.

Car sales are down right now, so Nissan is probably smart to hold off on spending a tremendous amount of new $$$ on marketing today. Plus all that marketing would be for a vehicle they don't have on the floor and haven't fully trained the salesfolks on yet.

It would be best to have everything in place with the training and sellable units primed in the market prior to a big kickoff.

Something else did just occur to me, perhaps the longshoremen's lockout had something to do with the lack of press. Perhaps they just didn't have many vehicles on the ground here, and didn't know when or if they could have them in the showrooms this year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Stealth SUV

Good points but they face some stiff competition. They are not concerned about the cost since they won't even provide adequate information on their existing web site. Why is all the info coming out on the internet? Seems it would be better to let everyone see what they have built.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts