Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave up on the widndshield mount. It puts the unit too far foreward, can't easily reach controls.
Picture one of two. Prototype of final mount.
Removed center vent assembly. Permanently wired Roadmate cord to display wiring Pin 3 Green -ignition; pin 6 black - ground. Eliminates memory wipeouts caused by using power socket which is on accessory.
Metal bracket slipped betweein inner and outer vent shell- no drilling ot cutting

Attachments

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
is the unit easily removable or one need to..

remove some screws?

Becareful of thieves as well. Remove the unit when you are away :)

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All you have to do to remove it is press the release on the mount. Mount, wiring and bracket remain on the dash.
Not my only problem. I have a Valentine and a Kyocera 7135 there too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now that you have the process down...

...how much would you charge to make another mounting bracket? I am using a L joint right now that looks ugly and ain't workin' out. Jut need the bracket and not the dock or wiring.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Help please!

ekaxel said:
...Removed center vent assembly...
How did you remove the center vent? I am able to release the lower clips but the top ones don't want to come out. I read the service manual and it is not much help. I don't even understand what the "caution" sectiuon is trying to say. Any help is appreciated.

"(K) Center Ventilator
1. Insert a remover into lower space of center ventilator and
remove by lifting.
2. Insert a remover into upper space of center ventilator and the
upper clip is removed.
CAUTION:
When a central bench is detached alone, past the protection
tape to meter right side part.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After you get the lower clips released, pull the assembly to the rear. It takes a little force, but it wiill pop out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
ekaxel said:
I gave up on the widndshield mount. It puts the unit too far foreward, can't easily reach controls.
Picture one of two. Prototype of final mount.
Removed center vent assembly. Permanently wired Roadmate cord to display wiring Pin 3 Green -ignition; pin 6 black - ground. Eliminates memory wipeouts caused by using power socket which is on accessory.
Metal bracket slipped betweein inner and outer vent shell- no drilling ot cutting
Ekaxel:

What material did you use to make the bracket.
How has this solution work over time.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The one in the picture is not the one I have now. It has been reinvented. I am not all together from my trip yet, but I will take pictures of it. It is a little more complicated, 3 pieces and one pop rivet, but a better location (lower and closer to me). It has worked very well. Still no holes in the vehicle for mounting.
All made of sheet steel.

·
4,664 Posts
Re: Help please!

zebelkhan said:

How did you remove the center vent? I am able to release the lower clips but the top ones don't want to come out. I read the service manual and it is not much help. I don't even understand what the "caution" sectiuon is trying to say. Any help is appreciated.

"(K) Center Ventilator
1. Insert a remover into lower space of center ventilator and
remove by lifting.
2. Insert a remover into upper space of center ventilator and the
upper clip is removed.
CAUTION:
When a central bench is detached alone, past the protection
tape to meter right side part.
Stolen from my web site... If it helps others. I know you got it off, zebelkhan!

To remove the Central Ventilator cover use a plastic pry bar and gently lift at points A and A followed by points B, B and B. This may also be able to be done by hand, but it's not easy.

The cover is retained roughly where the blue X's are located.

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
I also find I can take it off by pulling down, and back towards me on the top. The downward force helps the bottom pop out after the top releases. The more you do it, the easier it is to remove.

When it's off it looks like this...

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks Jaak, I have a bookmark on your site, but this sure helps all.

I am waitng to see EKaxel new invention.

The key is to be able to easily remove GPS along with docking station. It is a wierd design, you can easily remove GPS, but just for storage, as power supply is thru cradle(docking station).

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still no picture, but FYI, the docking station stays. I just pop the unit off and use another docking station in the house or with my windshield mount in a rental or other vehicle.
I give up. I'll go out and take the pictures now!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK. New mount. 4 pictures, 4 replies
First one shows the unit in its new location. Compare to first post in this thread

Attachments

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Second one shows the mount and cradle from the front. There are two pieces here. The back half of the mount and vertical, and the front half of the mount (held together by a pop rivet)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Third view from the side, showing the third piece, which is just a stabilizer to cut down vibration. I just did it yesterday, so it;'s not finished or painted yet,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Last view, through the windshield (poor quality). Shows the stabilizer better, and how the mount clamps to the center vent. I am using a Northstar external antenna. Power is drawn from the display unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks, 1 pic here and 3 more to go.

(OK I see all pics, bytes must be in pipeline)

And what is that white car in your garage, is it FIAT ?

Can't help my curiousity :D

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I left it in because I knew someone would ask!
1969 Renault 16 440,000 miles, driven every day. Original paint!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts