Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evidently a mouse made a nest inside my 2015 Murano car hood inner panel when it was stored at my dad's, & now I'm trying to clean out the nest & urine smell from inside it. Removed & cleaned the insulation shield, but am having trouble accessing inside the hood's inner panel. OK to rinse inside of it with water, or not? Advice?

I removed the car hood's insulation liner & cleaned surfaces with glass cleaner, which helped. But strongest smell is coming from inside the hood's inner panel. Used forceps to pick out visible shredded insulation the mouse had dragged in via little drainage holes near the front latch.

I tried spraying the holes w/Lysol but that's not the same as a good clean. Help!

·
Super Moderator
1,282 Posts
Either cover the entire front end, with the hood open, using plastic sheeting to protect the engine bay from water, or remove the hood, so that you can use high pressure water on the openings.

The water from a standard hose nozzle set to a fine hard stream should do the trick. Keep spraying until you stop seeing debris coming out. Expect plenty of spray back. Dress accordingly.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

Reactions: Lama

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either cover the entire front end, with the hood open, using plastic sheeting to protect the engine bay from water, or remove the hood, so that you can use high pressure water on the openings.
Thank you, that makes sense. I've got plastic sheeting & painter's tape, will try that first today and see how it goes before moving on to hood removal. Project! Mostly I'm thankful it didn't die in there or appear to have chewed the wiring or hoses.

·
Registered
298 Posts

The water from a standard hose nozzle set to a fine hard stream should do the trick. Keep spraying until you stop seeing debris coming out. Expect plenty of spray back. Dress accordingly.

Good luck.

Have a good day.
I agree with Paul. If that happened to me, I would remove (or have a mechanic removes it) the hood and completely inspect and clean and inspect and until I am sure all is good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I spent a couple of hours on it today with the hood attached & plastic sheeting taped over the entire engine bay. A strong jet from the hose nozzle dislodged the nest so I could extract it slowly from the drainage holes with curved forceps & my hands. Kept at it with the hose & forceps, & got out about 4 CUPS of nest & mouse poop. Sprayed inside with kitchen cleaning spray & rinsed, then took it for a drive to heat up & air out.

Air & movement from the drive must have dislodged the last bit of the nest, so I did a final round with the forceps to get out the last. I was fortunate that the nest seemed to have been concentrated in one corner of the hood, not throughout. Water finally running free & clear, engine dry, insulation shield replaced. Will keep an eye on the drainage holes with a flashlight to see if anything else jiggles loose over the next weeks, but it looks & smells much better now. Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts