Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to see general school of thought if moving from Florida climate to Colorado climate with change in altitude. For a 2011 Murano LE... do I need to change oil from synthetic to something else thicker? Any other fluids that should be changed to adapt to higher and cooler climate? Local tire shop suggested spark plugs with current 114k odometer. New to this, please opine.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Your Murano will adapt to the altitude just fine. Keep using the specified oil weight, and use full synthetic for all circumstances because it's a better oil than conventional...

Make sure your coolant is fresh and the appropriate concentration to deal with the altitude, cold, and the mountainous driving.

Definitely replace your spark plugs, the service specification is to change them at 100k.

You probably should do a CVT drain and fill if you haven't done it in the last ~30-40k miles.

I assume as it's a Florida Murano it's not an AWD model. If it is AWD, then replace the transfer case and differential fluids.

Reactions: jaxmurano

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,259 Posts
Yeah, no need to do anything "special" because the car will be operating at a higher elevation although check the freeze protection of your windshield washer fluid as I believe some warm weather states sell formulations that might not protect as well in the cold weather you'll experience in CO.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Good point regarding the windshield washer fluid.

Colorado is not just altitude, you start at 5k in Denver then all the way up to +10k in the mountains. If you're spending a lot on time in the mountains things will be far more stressed than we encounter in the rest of the county. Huge elevation changes (very long stretches of climbing and descending) stressing the cooling system, CVT fluid, and brakes to name a few things...

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,259 Posts
Good point regarding the windshield washer fluid.

Colorado is not just altitude, you start at 5k in Denver then all the way up to +10k in the mountains. If you're spending a lot on time in the mountains things will be far more stressed than we encounter in the rest of the county. Huge elevation changes stressing the cooling system, CVT fluid, and brakes to name a few things...
I agree. When people experience overheating problems with the CVT, it often happens while they're driving in hills and mountainous areas. Interestingly, this is not listed as one of the criteria for "severe operating conditions" in the service schedule.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
I live in northern Colorado (Fort Collins, 60 miles north of Denver). All you need to take care of is the normal services for 100K miles. Plugs are due, and fluid changes would be a good idea before you move.

Aside from that, the car will adjust automatically - you don't need to change a thing.

If you're feeling concerned about the transmission, adding a tranny oil cooler could create peace of mind - but you don't need to do it for the move.

Once you get here, you'll notice the altitude change when you hit the second flight of stairs. If you visit the mountain areas this winter, hydrate and don't try to climb big hills until you've had a few weeks to acclimate.

And we DO sincerely apologize for the lack of humidity. We hope you don't suffer when you're not sticky and wet from head to toe every minute that you're outside. Comfort in the outdoors is one of those minor hardships we cheerfully put up with. Bring hand lotion, the best stuff for dry hands is O'Keeffe's Working Hands. I use the stuff every night before bed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your Murano will adapt to the altitude just fine. Keep using the specified oil weight, and use full synthetic for all circumstances because it's a better oil than conventional...

Make sure your coolant is fresh and the appropriate concentration to deal with the altitude, cold, and the mountainous driving.

Definitely replace your spark plugs, the service specification is to change them at 100k.

You probably should do a CVT drain and fill if you haven't done it in the last ~30-40k miles.

I assume as it's a Florida Murano it's not an AWD model. If it is AWD, then replace the transfer case and differential fluids.

Apologies for the late reply, but wanted to say I truly appreciate the help and guidance. Your assumption is correct as the vehicle is a 2011 Murano LE and has only 2WD. I bought the vehicle at CarMax and have one of the best warranties possible which protects me from any mechanical/electrical problems until September 2022 or until 150k miles. Gathering all feedback it appears that I need to bite the bullet and undertake the following service....
-Coolant flush ($150)
-Bleed brakes ($130) <replaced all 4 brakes and rotors in past 90 days>
-CVT drain ($tbd) <bought with 81k miles and now I am at 117k miles, I've never performed this service>
-Spark Plugs ($600)
-Several hoses replaced ($150) <preventative given the change in FL > CO climate>
-Windshield fluid ($15) <will add freeze protection>
If any other items are suggested, please let me know. I am not looking to spend alot, but also know if there is not proactive and preventive maintenance it can come back 10x to fix an issue.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
That's a pretty good list. Maybe consider replacing the CVT filters too.

If your battery is old, maybe replace it as well. Make sure the battery terminal posts are totally free of corrosion and snug.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts