Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did do a search but I can't find a specific answer to this question. Is there a way to hook up an MP3 CD Changer (or even an iPod type player) to the Bose system AND be able to control the device using either the steering wheel audio controls or the head unit? I assume part of the solution is the PAC unit, but I am unsure if this also give complete control.

Thanks for any assistance!

·
4,601 Posts
Well you can use the Pac, but I'd also check out Phatnoise
The downside to Phatnoise, is it's pricey!

Phatnoise PDF

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the Pac let you control a changer using the car's own controls?

I like the idea of an MP3 CD changer since they are about half the price of a Phatnoise or iPod and I can easily fit all my music on 6 MP3 encoded CD's.

·
4,601 Posts
The pac does have an interface that can be added, but it's limited in what it can support. Best place to check up on this is at their site. www.pac-audio.com

"The AAI-NIS works with a Satellite ready Infiniti and Nissan factory radios. It allows audio from devices like Apple's iPod™, VCP, MP3 players, Portable CD players, DVD players or aftermarket satellite receivers to play through the stock stereo system. It has two auxiliary inputs which are selected by the SAT/Radio button on face of radio. The AAI-NIS is the first in the industry to use the steering wheel or radio buttons to send out commands to PAC's optional SWI-X which can be used to control an MP3 player, DVD, VCP or most devices that use an infrared remote. The AAI-NIS also comes with negative remote outputs when ever the radio is in Aux mode which can be used to turn on devices."

Which can be used with:

"The SWI-X is a learning remote which allows the customer to retain the use of their steering wheel or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit. The SWI-X will interface most aftermarket stereos into most vehicles with steering wheel or rear seat audio controls. Works with virtually all aftermarket radios with wireless infrared remote capability."

I'm sure there's lots of people here that can jump in with further knowledge.

Browse further in this section of the site and make sure you haven't limited how far back you can see in the posts. There's an option for that at the bottom of the listing.

One day, we hope there will be a "home grown" solution as I've decoded the interface and with a bit of luck, others with programming skill will be able to create a new one. There's a project thread here that dives into it.

But I've yet to see someone connect an MP3 CD changer. Great idea, but 6 or 10 CD's still don't hold as much as a loaded Ipod, so that's the path a lot of people want.

·
Registered
52 Posts
SWI-X don't work with MO.

I've got an iPod hooked up through an IceLink/PAC in my MO and all you can do is control the volume.

After extensive research on this, my conclusion was at this point, no, you cannot control the iPod through the steering wheel controls. However, using the right ProAudio clip puts the iPod within easy control of the driver.

Pics here.

·
4,601 Posts
The Ipod definately needs to be hacked... I'll never buy one, as I'm not interested in it, but that would be the best solution for most people.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Wasn't there a thread a while back about Nissan releasing some add-on module to support iPods "officially?"

I'll have to search around...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Actaully Apple announced a Nissan interface for the iPod, to be coming out late this spring.

I've recently received an email from Dennison saying they are actively working on the redo for IceLink and the Bose/Nissan system and it will be coming out again.

It's those two reasons that have kept me from buying the Pac unit.

I hope one of them comes through. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dennis: It's my understanding that it is the way the Bose system uses the A-B-C preset button on the radio...but that is the best I can tell you....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts