Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is me just dreaming right now, but... does anyone think Nissan would ever release a firmware upgrade to allow the 6 disc in the Murano to play mp3 CDs?

I don't understand why car manufacturers don't do this... It would cost them about $3 to allow mp3 playback. How many people have ever used their tape deck in the Murano? Nissan should save their money by removing the tape deck and giving me my mp3 playback! I deserve it! :D

Think how much cooler it would be to have 60 albums in the Murano instead of just 6... :18:

·
4,664 Posts
If anything, they'll do it on newer versions of the Murano, but it's highly unlikely they'll ever upgrade the existing radios.

However, the PhatNoise product should work. It works in the G35!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Personally I think the WORST thing about the Murano is that it is completely incompatible with MP3 playback. The deck is proprietary, so you can't even put an aftermarket deck in there, unless its a custom job. I would LOVE MP3 in the Murano, its way better than Satellite could ever offer.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The WORST thing is having a buddy find out about the NOSAT and THEN having him find out about NOMP3.
He drives a Saturn SUV and has both.
:3:

Homer

He also has between 40 and 50 accessories avail thru Saturn.

·
4,664 Posts
The only downside is he has a Saturn... ;)

I agree, I was hopeful that the Murano would support MP3's as they were available in other vehicles and the Murano being so "Cutting Edge" of a design, it would have made sense.

Today, the only way I know you can get MP3's in with direct audio connection is the PhatNoise product, or put on a SAT receiver and redirect the audio connection.

However, there's more to the SAT saga, as there's another connector on the SAT receiver that will accept another device. And part of that, I suspect, is audio inputs, as it appears the receiver has some relays to switch the audio. (Yes, I had mine apart, would you expect anything different?:p )

I only wish I wasn't so busy with work, I really would like to design an interface to fake out the radio into thinking it has SAT and do a direct audio connection.:12:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I was thinking of getting one of those portable hard drive MP3 players like a Dell Jukebox or Apple Ipod, and then using the FM transmitter to listen to it on over the stereo system in the Murano. Its not as good as a direct connection, but its way cheaper and more convenient. Any thoughts on that?

·
4,664 Posts
Well, if you have a decent FM modulator, you'll still be restricting your bandwidth to a little over 15 kHz and won't have the same dynamic range as a direct input, due to limitations in FM receiver design.

So it's up to you, if it sounds fine, then be happy with it! A direct input would give better sound.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The only thing I have to say is... BLITZSAFE

www.acuramdx.org

search there... seriously guys... any questions you have, or any problems you have, you will be able to find on the sister website, even though the cars are different, many of the wants and ideas are the same, and many have been solved there... check it out...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I just can't justify spending money for a dedicated hard wired MP3 system for the Murano when a portable player is so convenient you can take it anywhere. I am in school now, and spend much more time in the library than I do in my car. So, a portable player that can do double duty in the car is a big plus for me. I got sort of excited when I read about the Samsung Napster player with its built in FM transmitter but apparently it doesn't even work as claimed (range is anywhere from 1 to 4 feet, depending on review, thats pathetic). I guess I'll have to wait until either Dell adds more features onto its Dell Jukebox or Apple gets off its high horse and brings the Ipod down to reasonable prices.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
jaak, how does the Phatbox

physically connect to the Bose sys in the Murano?

Homer

·
4,664 Posts
It connects into the same connector as the SAT receiver. It emulates either a SAT or CD changer, depending on the firmware loaded.

I don't know anyone that has put one in a Murano, but considering the G35 uses the same SAT receiver, it should be pretty painless, as I know it works there!

When emulating the Changer in the G35, you have to press the CD button twice, to get it. It wouldn't be tough to build a harness to allow both to connect. It's just a pain getting the connectors. (Else I would have built the harness in June or maybe even May of this year.)

If anyone knows where to get the connectors.... that would be great. Maybe some accessory engineer that visits the site would speak up?:19:

(And I mean a real answer... I know where I can get some of the older Nissan radio connectors in Taiwan, already...)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
It would be great to just have the unused SAT button hooked up to auxilary jack where you plug in an outside source, like a portable MP3 player. That would be the ideal solution for MP3 in the Murano, since it would not require bulky cassette adaptor, or poor FM quality. I saw a link about Crutchfield's Blitzsafe, but there is no application for the Murano.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just curious if anyone has tried the cassette adapter or the FM reciever with an MP3 unit in their car? Does on give better reception/sound? Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not that it solves the MP3 issue, but I found that I can play CD-RWs. At least you can use the same cd over and over that way.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
jloebick said:
Not that it solves the MP3 issue, but I found that I can play CD-RWs. At least you can use the same cd over and over that way.
Yeah I have found that Clarion units (such as the ones Nissan uses) have no problem with CDRWs. The Mp3 solution would eliminate having to switch discs though. Ok so the 6 disc changer makes the music last longer, but it is so inconvenient to burn 6 CD's, when you can have an MP3 CD which is the equivalent of over 10 normal CD's.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think I figured out why Nissan did not offer this.

Think. Where are MP3 CD players most offered? In what vehicles?

I don't know of any BMW, Lexus or Infiniti vehicles that offer it. The HIGH END ones probably do. But the mid-luxury brands? I don't think so...

My own research shows that small SUVs such as Escape and Vue are offering it, and it is probably available in some of the more sporty two-door or sedans. Low-cost vehicles aimed at a youthful crowd.

My thinking is that Nissan wanted to gear this more towards adults, more sophisticated, while MP3 audio is more of a "kids" thing. Kids as in 18-28 or so bracket.

I guess they see the ideal Murano owner loading up their regular CDs for a drive out to the wineries, not burning tons of songs onto one CD. Personally, with the way technology is going, I see more and more "sophisticated" adults utilizing the MP3 format.. whether it is in burned CDs or iPod-like players.

Nissan needs to rethink what is luxury and what is "kids stuff"... but until they do...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts