Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove South on GA400 (all people from Atlanta knows it well). Passed I285 and reset computer mph readings. Stopped at the airport park & ride 21 miles later. Tried to keep up with traffic - 60 to 75 mph. A couple of stops and quick accelerations.

Computer readings - 27.5 mpg.:)

MO SL, FWD, 12k, Mobil1, K&N air filter.

I heard comment: it is insane! from a person driving FX with average mph around 15 mpg. Go MO! Just get rid of the last rattle and be happy!

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
wow, that is insane! I normally end up with 15.7 mpg at the end of a tank of gas (i reset it everytime). Initially when I first bought the car I had 22 and 23 mpg at the end of the first two tanks, but that is when i was easy on the MO. Now that her and I are comfortable we enjoy spirited driving. I don't get upset anymore because I know that I basically only drive in stop and go traffic everyday. But I do realize that she is meant for the highway, on my last 4 hour trip to DC I was getting 24 mpg loaded down with 3 husky friends and a hatch full of stuff doing 85.

For fun, sometimes I will reset the trip computer when I know a big hill is coming up and coast down the hill without pushing the gas. It's kind of fun to see how big of a number you can come up with!

:4:

I think I need a hobby!:rolleyes: Must be time to start the modifications on the MO.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I saw 29.1 after about 5 minutes of driving. It slowly dropped to about 24.5 and leveled off for the rest of the drive home at 65 mph.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Must be something about GA roads!

Mostly lack o' hills. Heh.

Before my MO turned over its first grand, we took it to Navarre to see my stepson. I didn't want to see the effect of driving up and down the hills in the Carolinas, so I reset the MPG when we crossed into GA on I85. Went straight through HotLanta, got on I65 and went through MonkeyTown and got off to go through Brewton.

Used the cruise and we had a tailwind. There was a big high sitting over east Tennessee.

Damage: 28.1mpg.

On another trip, I reset the MPG when we got on I485 around Charlotte. Still used the cruise. No tailwind. And there are some pretty decent hills in the Carolinas.

That trip yielded 26.3mpg.

So far, day-to-day driving is getting around 21 (20.8 to 21.2). And that's driving from about 12 miles east of the Charlotte city limits to the other side of Charlotte.
Here's a math problem for the real number crunchers:
UncaDanno drives 27 miles. For 10 miles, UncaDanno can keep the cruise set on 60. For 3 miles, UncaDanno can run at 50 to 55 without slowing or stopping. It takes one hour for the trip. NOT during rush hour.
(Two-part question)
1 - If that 27 miles is one-way, how long does UncaDanno get to stare at someone else's rear bumper every day?
2 - In the next twelve months, how many more traffic lights will the DOT install in Charlotte to further impede, er, to further enhance the safety of drivers?

Bonus question:
3 - When the DOT closes more roads in March to work on the "Independence Freeway", should UncaDanno take the detour that adds:
a - 2 miles and 20 minutes
b - 5 miles and 30 minutes (7 additional school zones)
c - 8 miles and 45 minutes

For extra credit: Making the trip during rush hour adds 50 to 75 percent to all drive times (the 10-mile stretch remains at 60, however). How many days until the next Mommymobile t-bones UncaDanno while he is waiting to take a left, with the turn signal on (in CHARLOTTE, no less!), because the Mommymobile driver decided to pass UncaDanno then decided to turn right? THROUGH UncaDanno's ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The answer to the original question is pi.

Bonus question: D - All of the above

I started to crunch numbers for the extra credit, but somehow got sidetracked and proved the existence of God...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
To answer the question:

"You can't do it unless the number is two."

Those who listen to Cartalk on NPR will know what I mean... hehe :D

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm glad somebody finally is happy with Murano mpg. So far people were beaching how bad is was...........Given the size and performance of this car I believe that mph is very good.

One cannot forget the driving techniques............if you frequently stop and accelerate quickly do not expect great fuel economy.......it is just plain pure physics...........you cannot get car moving quickly without energy..........

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I think part of the problem lies with expectation management.

Those who came to Murano via Ford Explorer and other SUVs are happy.
Or if they came from large cars they are satisfied.

But if you look at the thread about what cars they traded, you will see that a LOT of people came to Murano from really crappy, small motor cars.
When people gripe about 22MPG HWy (@80 MPH), and 15MPG City in a 4000 pound automatic transmissioned, 240 HP engined car, I wish they would go back to their Honda Civic.:rolleyes:

Homer

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fuel Economy..

My trip from PHX, AZ to SF, CA and back. 80-90mph, 5 tanks of gas 17.8mpg. I figure if it was 70-80mph I might have picked up a few MPG's.

My first tank of gas I got 14.1mpg and the MO was very sluggish, specially off the line. I could floor it, and it seemed to just be able to keep up with traffic (just off the line).

Now I have over 17k miles get about 17-18mpg in daily driving, and sluggish is no longer a problem. If I am not careful it will easily spin the tires. If I stab the throttle, it will spin them all the way across the intersection. Geesh! <evil grin>

I am liking my MO more each day, and I will rejoice when I get the infinately annoying drivers door creak fixed. Just haven't had time to do it yet. I did get a panel popper tool for it though.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Kris, I'm happy. my MO now closing in on two months and my average is 21.6 MPG. It keeps getting better as the break in period must be about 4000 miles. (just my guess).
My Altima with the same exact engine is a constant 27.5 MPG.
Yes it's lighter but the Mo's cvt may close the gap. I'll be surprised if I ever get a steady 27.5MPG but getting close to that will be all smiles for me.
The MO will be far better than the Jeep (Sherman tank) Grand Cherokee that I replaced. that was 18MPG on a good trip.
I know there is a gas debate thread around here but I go with the good stuff and this 1.79 per gallon is making me say OUCH.
We in the Atlanta area have it good as I hear we are the lowest gas price in the USA.
Bob1

·
Registered
16 Posts
You won't hear any complaints from me when it comes to MPG. I'm used to 14-15city and 17-18hwy in my 4Runner (93, 4x4, auto, 150hp V6). I get better gas mileage in my work vehicle (96 Blazer, V6 190hp 2wd) at about 18-20 city/hwy. But then again, I don't have to pay for that gas. I'll be extremely happy with the mileage even if I only get 20mpg hwy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Realize your wind resistance is going up exponentially as your speed increases, and the mpg is going to drop precipitously at higher speeds in a vehicle with a CD of 0.39. If you're going fast, but are cocooned in heavy traffic, you'll do much better than you might expect. If you're by your lonesome, doing 80-90, it's like driving a house down the highway, and your mpg will drop into the mid-teens. Especially with even the slightest headwind.

When I get my MO (any day now - the money's in the bank), I'll be curious to see how driving style affects it around town. With regular geared auto transmissions, on heavy vehicles the rule of thumb for best mpg is to accelerate fairly briskly to speed (say 45mph), and then be as smooth as you can be, avoiding braking where possible. The point is to avoid spending much time in the extremely inefficient lower gears.

With smaller cars, particularly manual transmission models, it's better to get up to speed at a more liesurely pace.

I'll be curious to see whether the MO w/CVT does better with the former or the latter approach (as it's two tons, I would expect the former approach to be best, but the CVT may tip the balance).

Also, many people 'surge' - impatiently run up on the car in front, tap the brakes (or just ease off the gas) to back off, run up again, etc. - this is absolutely the worst thing you can do WRT mpg. Many are not even aware they're doing it.

All of these things as well as other more subtle ones explain why one person gets good mpg and another one gets poor mpg with the same vehicle.

I've been obsessed with maximizing mpg since my teenage years, but then I lived (and drove) through the 'gas-crisis' of the late '70's and early '80's so I guess I'm scarred ;).

Neil

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought my MO from Birmingham Alabama 2 weeks ago.

2003, AWD SE

When we drove back, it was mild weather (in a midwest sort of way). We did between 80 and 85 on they way home and I got an average of 19.8mpg.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
That's actually pretty good.

AND it will get better.

That's an interesting breakin schedule:cool:

Homer

·
Registered
145 Posts
In So. Cal. there are every few open roads or chances to maintain a constant speed. I avg. 22-24 mpg on the freeways and 12-18 city (got to love teh Ds mode). Most of my driving is mixed city/freeway and I haul a few mt. bikes at least 2 times a week. My overall mpg is 19-20. Once will going down the Conejo Grade on the 101 freeway into Camarillo, I reset the the econ and got 99.9 mpg. It was great to see but it quickly returned to normal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts