Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone noticing discrepancies on the MPG calculations done by the computer?

I just took the MO to the gas station for its first-even fill up, and by my calculations it got 18.9MPG, but the computer is reporting 16.8. I reset the measurement and will check again next time I fill 'er up, but was curious to see if anyone else was having similar issues.

-marius

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I h ave found that the computer underestimates mileage slightly. I guess that is good since it gives you some reserve gas left over even when DTE is zero (actually it becomes a *).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did a round trip between Texas and Florida over the hoiday. Did not reset the mileage computer at each fill-up, only once at each end. In general, the computer agreed with manual calculation within a MPG or two.

FWIW, at 80 MPH cruise, got 20 - 21 MPG. In stretches where speed was limited to 70 MPH or so (thankfully never a complete tankful run this slow), mileage indicator crept up to 23 MPG (which means I was probably getting higher, since computer was averaging all that 80 MPH driving).

·
Registered
792 Posts
Rick - our experience seems to be different. I got better mileage at 80 then I did at 70. I did reset the MPG at every fill up though.

I was in Sarasota for New Years. Where did you guys go?

·
Registered
126 Posts
My folks live in the Orlando area. Apopka.

Sure wish I had gotten better mileage at 80 vs. 70. Maybe THIS is where better gas pays off (sort of... I would have to get at least 25MPG to offset the higher gas cost). I was running cheap stuff. You?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I find that I get the best mileage in the Murano at slower speeds like 60mph. But who drives 60? The mileage really tanks when I go over 70 (it tends to drop under 20mpg).

·
Registered
792 Posts
It depending on where we stopped.

If I went to Amoco/BP - I'd use 89. If I we'd go somewhere that I was unsure of I'd get 93. Gas prices in KY/TN/GA were MUCH cheaper than Florida. Floriday was like 15 cents higher across the board. We'd get 450 miles per tank - give or take.

I found the southern drivers aren't as accustomed to people merging where there isn't a lot of room. I had a few people tell me I was number one :roadtrip: :30: A car length and a half is plenty of room.

·
Registered
104 Posts
my gas mileage in one word...SUCKS.

i'm getting about 250~300 miles per tank. tell me that thats normal. i do a lot of city driving. stop and go, but geez, one of the biggest sellers of the MO was its city mpg at 20 mpg. biggest bummer of the MO. so the computer tells me, i'm averaging about 12-13.7 mpg. :( when i drive highway though right after a fill up, and reset the computer, i get a good 24 mpg.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
quikkik said:
my gas mileage in one word...SUCKS.

i'm getting about 250~300 miles per tank. tell me that thats normal. i do a lot of city driving. stop and go, but geez, one of the biggest sellers of the MO was its city mpg at 20 mpg. biggest bummer of the MO. so the computer tells me, i'm averaging about 12-13.7 mpg. :( when i drive highway though right after a fill up, and reset the computer, i get a good 24 mpg.
That sounds normal to me. City driving kills gas mileage.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, there is going to be some variation from vehicle to vehicle. On the other hand, driving style is probably a more important variable. I know my wife needed a few months (and some very carefully worded feedback from me....) to adjust her style to get optimum mileage from the Murano. She went from under 15 MPG to right at 20MPG for city driving (that's all our MO does except for one 2500 mile road trip). Some of this was due to engine getting looser through break-in.

The key is a light and steady right foot. If you (not necessarily you, kwikkik, but if the shoe (or login name) fits......) consistently leave traffic behind at stoplights, guess what. You can outrun folks at stoplites OR get good mileage, but not both.

Try accelerating at a rate equal to the traffic around you ... unless you live in Miami, in which case your mileage will go DOWN, or you will get shot for going too slow:)

Keep your foot steady, so RPMs remain constant throughout the acceleration. Extend your vision horizon, so you don't accelerate to a higher speed, only to have to brake harder for that red light that was there all the time.

Your passengers will appreciate this as well. Smoothness is a virtue. Ask any great race driver, and they will tell you this is the most important thing, and the hardest to learn. I have prized smoothness and passenger comfort above everything (except safety) ever since I read an article by Stirling Moss which recalibrated my (then adolescent) priorities.

When I have passengers in the vehicle, I pretend I am a limo driver. I strive to drive so that they could sip champagne with nary a spill. A nice side benefit of this is I get pretty good mileage. FWIW, HTH, YMMV, etc.......

·
Registered
104 Posts
thanks turbodog...although i wouldn't of guessed slow and steady from your name ;) . i'll give it a shot. i have no need to blow anyone at stoplights. geez if anything, i'd want people to sit and stare at my nice ride.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, you'll notice I qualified that with 'when I have passengers in the vehicle'... when I'm alone in the Typhoon, I strive for smooth.... but fast. No one stays with me if I'm 1st in line at the stoplite... and I pay for it at the pump, but I consider it a good value in terms of smiles per gallon!

·
Registered
104 Posts
smiles per gallon. i like that. unfortuntaley its the miles per gallon that eat up my wallet. but i guess there's more to life than just the $$$.
:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't checked the manual yet but on my truck the average is done over the last 30 gallons. My computer is showing 26 mpg at 100 miles on the odo. Funny thing is, it started out at 25 mpg off the lot with 9 miles showing. They must preprogram from the factory.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts