Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting around 29-30 mpg on the highway with best as 31.4 mpg. I got transmission replaced (within warranty) 2 months back . Now i am getting 22-24 mpg .

Same driver, same driving style and same route ( ~40 miles commute (M-F)) , only change is the transmission.

Any idea what could be wrong? car is driving smooth.

2015 Nissan Murano SV
32,000 miles

·
Registered
146 Posts
Possible that the transmission will "break in" over the next few months and the mileage will continue to improve. However, I'd suggest keeping a written record of fuel consumption/distance traveled/driving conditions as evidence against a claim with Nissan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possible that the transmission will "break in" over the next few months and the mileage will continue to improve. However, I'd suggest keeping a written record of fuel consumption/distance traveled/driving conditions as evidence against a claim with Nissan
Thanks KBrian.
When you say written record, do you mean fuel receipts along with the miles written manually on them ? or is there a good way to keep records?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can already tell you that Nissan will say that your mileage is within the acceptable range.
may be Yes Halwg, but i was pampered with excellent fuel economy earlier hence the whining;).. On a serious note , i am just worried that mpg won't deteriorate further.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
First gen only get 24 hiway tops. I am not sure if the newer MO is rated for more but it can't be too far from it.

I just swapped out my odyssey transmission with a reman at home and after 2 tank full of gas used, its mpg is the same as before. I don't know why you are getting less. How long have you been observing this since the replacement?

·
Registered
146 Posts
When you say written record, do you mean fuel receipts along with the miles written manually on them ? or is there a good way to keep records?
For most of my vehicle ownership life, I have kept a vehicle log. While it is arranged to record fuel fillups and distance driven, I include service and repairs as well. I do maintain the factory service booklet that came with my Murano (we have an included maintenance contract with the dealer) but I like having a record of all vehicle activity in one place.

I bought a bunch of cheap, small, bound, lined notebooks a while ago, and I made some columns to record date, location, amount and cost of fuel, distance on that fillup and total distance driven. I also keep track of tire changovers and rotations this way. I sell my vehicles privately usually, and this satisfies buyers' questions about service and repair as well as fuel economy/cost of operation.

I hate a junky glovebox, so this method of record keeping allows me to keep all the service/repair paperwork at home.

Going to your dealer with a history of fuel or oil consumption will mitigate any argument that "its within factory spec" if the record shows a noticeable change in performance over a small time period.

Hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
If your car is within the factory spec on mileage, your records don't matter. It simply IS within specs.

I think the situation is unusual, but you're getting good mileage as is.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yeah, sounds kind of weird that it would drop. On the other hand, thats about the same milage I get on the highway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You were right Brian, looks like the new transmission got matured and mileage is much improved now. I started getting close to 28-29 MPG on my same office route:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
Sumit Jain
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing