Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I am guilty of sleeping in the car by accident but after Sunday that will become a permanent at least at night to run the heater for heat at least. Is there anything I can do to improve this?? I'm fine with steal all the blankets I can before check out and court Monday and finally learn how to pray correctly.

馃槀馃槀馃お

Attachments

Registered
If I understand correctly, it appears that you mention you have been idling your Murano for extended an extended period of time... Your gas MPG will always be lower when you are consuming gas while not moving...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I understand correctly, it appears that you mention you have been idling your Murano for extended an extended period of time... Your gas MPG will always be lower when you are consuming gas while not moving...

Word. I think you are right. Blankets and prayer it is.

Registered
Hope things improve soon for you...

Registered
Blanket layering is fine, but I feel that even a cheap sleeping bag will be more comfortable and retain your body heat better. Believe it or not, those $1 emergency foil blankets at Walmart work incredibly well (they're found in the camping or hunting aisle). Place one beneath you and one on top and they should keep you pretty toasty. If you have an air mattress, fold down the rear seats and place it in back. If you run your car for heat, be careful of carbon monoxide fumes. If you're near an outlet somewhere, think about running an extension cord into your car to plug in a "safe" space heater. The oil-filled ones that radiate are great and have a thermostat that turns them off and on.

Reactions: mtzlplex

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blanket layering is fine, but I feel that even a cheap sleeping bag will be more comfortable and retain your body heat better. Believe it or not, those $1 emergency foil blankets at Walmart work incredibly well (they're found in the camping or hunting aisle). Place one beneath you and one on top and they should keep you pretty toasty. If you have an air mattress, fold down the rear seats and place it in back. If you run your car for heat, be careful of carbon monoxide fumes. If you're near an outlet somewhere, think about running an extension cord into your car to plug in a "safe" space heater. The oil-filled ones that radiate are great and have a thermostat that turns them off and on.
I

Yes the fumes do suck when running the car. I don't know how much time i have left on the credit cards. But a good survival list to get would be awesome. (Walmart is out) I have use NFC only been that way for 3 weeks now since the wife took them. Tried to get new ones sent but could only have time to order one and now that is not working.

What stores sell sleeping bags? I can look up if they take tap to pay/NFC. I will need a extension cord as well in case I come by power.

Please keep the suggestions coming. I have no experience living rough like that the only thing I really has is a physical credit card that does not work and a id with a old address that is valid until September.

And the MO of course I figure I can find some where to park in-between my rented mail box and the library where I can use the power and the internet. Try to hold down the job as long as I can at least.

Imhotep

Registered
If credit cards are going to be cancelled soon, I might rush over to Walmart and buy various gift cards to various places I might need/want to go (McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, gas stations, Walmart) and use the credit card to put $100, $500, $1,000 (or whatever) on those gift cards so I'd have something to use to survive until things hopefully got better. Once the "money" is placed on the gift cards via the credit card, there's nothing anyone can do to cancel them without the receipts. Most of the gift cards at Walmart are around the checkout stations.

Reactions: deeman and PaulDay

Registered
I'd get some basic things to keep in your car (water, easy-to-eat food and snacks [buying in bulk will be cheaper]), but it all depends on what's around you that's easy to access, such as any highway rest areas to use the bathrooms, any soup kitchens or shelters in your area that provide free meals and cots during the colder months. Be careful where you park if not hunkering down in a familiar neighborhood. Some Walmarts do still allow overnight parking, and some say that you have to get permission from the manager beforehand. For privacy, you might want to get some cheap black towels or sheets to place in the windows (open the window, then close it to hold the sheet in place) and maybe get a set of those round sunshades for a few bucks for the windshield. If it's too cold to get out of your car to take a leak (or if there's no discrete place to do it) I recommend buying a 101oz jug of any Ocean Spray juice and saving the jug. It's got a sturdy handle, tight cap, great capacity, and the opening is larger than the majority of plastic jugs out there, so using it shouldn't be a problem. I always keep an empty one in my car, for many reasons.

Check to see if there are any truck stops around you. Most have all-night restaurants/restrooms you can use, plus there's usually someplace for a car to park overnight. Just don't get in the way of the truckers. Since many trucks use diesel fuel warmers, there are usually outlets around that you could possibly tap into for power. Wherever you park, be sure it's not prohibited to be there at night, otherwise you'll constantly be pushed out by the police. Typically, you're allowed to park overnight at some government parking lots, such as a DMV or free State Park. But that sometimes depends on the time of year, since snow removal usually results in many places prohibiting overnight parking during Winter months in order for plows to clear snow. Sometimes hospitals have multi-level parking lots that will provide some protection. If you decide to park at such a place, I'd avoid covering the windows because it will only draw attention to your car.

If worse comes to worse, find a Telsa charging station and park your car there and police will simply think you're charging your car. :) Those charging stations are all over the place around where I am. Some are around hotels, gas stations, restaurants, etc. Even a highway-side restaurant like Howard Johnsons should be a decent place to park overnight and get a meal and use the restrooms, etc.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If credit cards are going to be cancelled soon, I might rush over to Walmart and buy various gift cards to various places I might need/want to go (McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, gas stations, Walmart) and use the credit card to put $100, $500, $1,000 (or whatever) on those gift cards so I'd have something to use to survive until things hopefully got better. Once the "money" is placed on the gift cards via the credit card, there's nothing anyone can do to cancel them without the receipts. Most of the gift cards at Walmart are around the checkout stations.
Great info on your next post as well. I can probably get the things you say to get. The thing is the only card I can do use by NFC/Tap to pay only. The bank card is at -110 before the penalty. So ya only card atm.

Google is do hit or miss trying to find out but can't remember does Target take NFC I want to say no for some reason.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd get some basic things to keep in your car (water, easy-to-eat food and snacks [buying in bulk will be cheaper]), but it all depends on what's around you that's easy to access, such as any highway rest areas to use the bathrooms, any soup kitchens or shelters in your area that provide free meals and cots during the colder months. Be careful where you park if not hunkering down in a familiar neighborhood. Some Walmarts do still allow overnight parking, and some say that you have to get permission from the manager beforehand. For privacy, you might want to get some cheap black towels or sheets to place in the windows (open the window, then close it to hold the sheet in place) and maybe get a set of those round sunshades for a few bucks for the windshield. If it's too cold to get out of your car to take a leak (or if there's no discrete place to do it) I recommend buying a 101oz jug of any Ocean Spray juice and saving the jug. It's got a sturdy handle, tight cap, great capacity, and the opening is larger than the majority of plastic jugs out there, so using it shouldn't be a problem. I always keep an empty one in my car, for many reasons.

Check to see if there are any truck stops around you. Most have all-night restaurants/restrooms you can use, plus there's usually someplace for a car to park overnight. Just don't get in the way of the truckers. Wherever you park, be sure it's not prohibited to be there at night, otherwise you'll constantly be pushed out by the police. Typically, you're allowed to park overnight at some government parking lots, such as a DMV or free State Park. But that sometimes depends on the time of year, since snow removal usually results in many places prohibiting overnight parking during Winter months in order for plows to clear snow and then sand and salt.

If worse comes to worse, find a Telsa charging station and park your car there and police will simply think you're charging your car. :) Those charging stations are all over the place around where I am. Some are around hotels, gas stations, restaurants, etc. Even a highway-side restaurant like Howard Johnsons should be a decent place to park overnight and get a meal and use the restrooms, etc.
Thanks! Tomorrow I will write it down because I lose access to this.

Dude it's going down!! I've only got 2.1 miles on this tank!!

Attachments

Registered
Removed the the quote of the post I was responding to at the request of the poster...

I spent a several frigid nights in the back of my '67 Cougar during my high school years running the engine for heat... It's no fun at all... I truly do hope things improve for you as soon as possible.

Registered
I places I choose were church parking lots and a business. No matter where I was, the police showed up a least once a night shining their light into my car. They never actually came up to the car for some reason thankfully... They seemed pretty efficient patrolling all the various locations in town, but that was half a century ago...

Registered
I places I choose were church parking lots and a business. No matter where I was, the police showed up a least once a night shining their light into my car. They never actually came up to the car for some reason thankfully... They seemed pretty efficient patrolling all the various locations in town, but that was half a century ago...
Since the police force has only increased in size over the years, I've noticed cruisers everywhere; there's really no place to relax anymore without a drive-by probing happening every 15 minutes, depending on where you are. They seem suspicious of every car that's in a parking lot for an extended period, even if it's the middle of the day. My hometown used to have something like four cruisers back in the 80s, and now they have in excess of 15 marked cars/SUVs and at least five unmarked ones, plus the speciality vehicles. Point being, try to blend in with other cars and not be the rogue car off by itself in a more empty part of the lot.

I was going to mention about churches and those other "new religion" assemblies that have buildings scattered everywhere. Sometimes at those places you can find a table outside with bags of free food that you can simply drive up to a take what you need. Haven't seen the tables out recently, probably due to the cold temps. At a local shopping mall, every week a large truck sets up in the parking lot and volunteers hand out food and supplies to anyone who needs them. Definitely check around your area to see what's available. You might also check with your Goodwill and Salvation Army stores for info about free shelters, supplies and services in your area for those in need.

I don't know what NFC/tap is. I thought NFC was short for "No F'ing Credit card."

Many stores sell sleeping bags. Sporting Goods and hunting stores, Target, Walmart (and Goodwill and Salvation Army outlets might have some used ones). Not that I'm saying to do this, but buying stuff at Walmart seems to be the way to go, since they have a fairly loose and easy return policy. I remember earlier this year I was waiting in the return line and the person in front of me was returning two shopping carts filled with camping equipment that was dirty and some wasn't even in a box, etc., and he got a refund.

Registered
The town I'm currently living in with 37k residents has 6 Dunkin Donuts, and only 3 cruisers on the road at night...

You'd think with all those DDs, as well as a bunch of other donut shops, there would be more police on the road at night... 馃榿

Registered
A couple of polices cruiser were burned recently while parked in the police station parking lot at night when the cameras and locking police station gate...were not installed like they was supposed to be (money had already been allocated years ago...)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since the police force has only increased in size over the years, I've noticed cruisers everywhere; there's really no place to relax anymore without a drive-by probing happening every 15 minutes, depending on where you are. They seem suspicious of every car that's in a parking lot for an extended period, even if it's the middle of the day. My hometown used to have something like four cruisers back in the 80s, and now they have in excess of 15 marked cars/SUVs and at least five unmarked ones, plus the speciality vehicles. Point being, try to blend in with other cars and not be the rogue car off by itself in a more empty part of the lot.

I was going to mention about churches and those other "new religion" assemblies that have buildings scattered everywhere. Sometimes at those places you can find a table outside with bags of free food that you can simply drive up to a take what you need. Haven't seen the tables out recently, probably due to the cold temps. At a local shopping mall, every week a large truck sets up in the parking lot and volunteers hand out food and supplies to anyone who needs them. Definitely check around your area to see what's available. You might also check with your Goodwill and Salvation Army stores for info about free shelters, supplies and services in your area for those in need.

I don't know what NFC/tap is. I thought NFC was short for "No F'ing Credit card."

Many stores sell sleeping bags. Sporting Goods and hunting stores, Target, Walmart (and Goodwill and Salvation Army outlets might have some used ones). Not that I'm saying to do this, but buying stuff at Walmart seems to be the way to go, since they have a fairly loose and easy return policy. I remember earlier this year I was waiting in the return line and the person in front of me was returning two shopping carts filled with camping equipment that was dirty and some wasn't even in a box, etc., and he got a refund.

Ok so NFC is going to be things like Google Pay and Apple pay.

Good news is that I found out the hotel has a NFC reader and I got myself 2 more weeks I am contemplating getting 2 more weeks just to be sure I have enough time to do what I need to do and get another place. Thanks for all your comments and help. More info on NFC and tap to pay below.

How Does Tap to Pay Work and How Do I Use It?

Registered
If you don't have a place to send mail to, you might hit up the local post office and just get the smallest box they offer. I think they're something like $50 for a year. You can still have large boxes shipped to the P.O. box...the post office will simply leave a slip in your box instructing you to go to the counter to pick up your over-sized item.

Glad you found a way out of sleeping in your car, since spending money on gas and wearing out your transportation faster probably weren't going to help you in the long run, to say nothing about messing around with your peace of mind and sanity when living out of your car and trying to figure things out.

Not sure how the divorce will affect your credit, but you might want to apply for several credit cards and use the motel as your physical/temporary address and use the P.O. Box as a mailing address to get the cards. They could come in handy later on.

I've never dealt with any of this, but if you have an Amazon account that you've shared with your ex, you might want to access it and add a few users to it so you can hopefully still have acess to any movies or whatever that you've bought through Amazon over the years. Just in case your ex changes the login username/password. Same with Netflix and other things. I realize movies aren't really important right now, but I'm merely suggesting to see if you can secure any of your online accounts so you can still access certain things.

Interesting that NFC tap thing. Thanks for the link.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts