Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Near the rear tire on a 2016 Murano there are 2 mud flaps.
One near the rear of the tire and one near the front of the rear tire.
One screw fell out from the front mud flap (splash guard) of the rear tire.

Called the dealership and they only sell the complete package $62 and they have no idea of the screw size.

Searched online but couldn't find the required screw.

Anyone else lose one?
Did you just take out the other and go to Home Depot or Lowes to find a match?
Where you able to find on online?

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
I'd pull the matching screw from the other side, go to ACE hardware and find a stainless steel screw to match. Problem solved.

It holding on a mud guard, so you only need a non-rusting screw that's the same diameter and length. If you need a large head on it, you can add a stainless washer.

Evidently not a part to get at a dealer, especially when they won't break a pack of screws.

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
one is a screw, and the other is a plastic push pin...I believe the push pin is closer to you, the screw is the further away closer to the middle of the vehicle.

the push pins are about 2 bucks each, I just purchased a bunch from my local dealer, to put back in place the new plastic pan that runs the length of the car on the passenger side, after it got destroyed, it has about 6 screws and about 6 of the push pins...

if you need I can take a picture of the pins and possibly the part number

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
one is a screw, and the other is a plastic push pin...I believe the push pin is closer to you, the screw is the further away closer to the middle of the vehicle.

the push pins are about 2 bucks each, I just purchased a bunch from my local dealer, to put back in place the new plastic pan that runs the length of the car on the passenger side, after it got destroyed, it has about 6 screws and about 6 of the push pins...

if you need I can take a picture of the pins and possibly the part number

A picture and part number would be greatly appreciated.
The car is going in for regular service and hoping the dealership will provide the parts as the vehicle is still under warranty.
If they won't provide the part I can use your info as backup and order it myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The splash shield dorman pins are cheap and easy to install yourself, but it doesn't take much to knock them out and the splash shield is loose again.

The pins have 2 parts:
1. A flange with 4 "fingers" that expand to hold the pin in, and
2. A pin that inserts into the flange and expands the "fingers"

Problem is, the "fingers" don't expand much and the pins get yanked out by water from one good deep puddle.

Do this. Buy a small pack of heat shrink tubing, size 1/4" to 1/8" (electrical department)

Cut a short piece of heat shrink tube about 1/4" long and slide it over the narrowest part of the pin. Heat the tubing and pin with a blow dryer or a match until the tubing is snug around the pin.

Put the flange part of the pin thru the hole in the mud flap and into the underside of the car. Then push the pin into the flange.You may need to tap in the pin lighly with a hammer.

The heat shrink tubing makes the "fingers" expand a little more and the pin is more likely to survive a high speed blast of water. If the flap gets hit by something solid, it will still pop loose and not break, held on by the one steel screw in the assembly. Then, replace the 2 plastic dorman pins as described above.

This repair is very cheap and easy. No need to jack up the car. I'm no mechanic, I'm a musician. If I can do it, anybody can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Try going to Lowes before the headache of ordering/ shipping. I seem to recall finding what I needed in their specialty drawers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts