Nissan Murano Forum banner

Mud Flaps Useful?

6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Margatenj 
#1 ·
One thing I am getting tired of is the side effect of the gorgeous blue color....I have to wash the car every week...The top part of the car is still nice and clean but the bottom part is just covered in dust as is its booty....

The pattern suggests that it is comming purely from the wheels, the stock UK version doesn't have mud-flaps. I've read some reports that the Nissan ones don't make much of a difference, but what is the general concensus? I am not talking about full off-road driving, just the normal rubbish that is on the roads....

Money well went or a waste?

#2 ·
The stock mud flaps won't help much with the dust.

My driveway (gravel) is nearly a mile long. The sides and rear of all the rides stay dusty. And my MO has the stock flaps.

They do go a long way towards protecting from nasty bits, such as gravel and warm asphalt, that get thrown back by the tires.

#4 ·
dklanecky1 said:
California Duster, especially on a dark color, will work wonders! Pick them up at Wal-Mart and follow the directions about the newspaper!
Agreed.

Start with a clean, well waxed (Zainoed) MO.

I just dusted this morning. Never dust a car that's been baking in the sun.

It won't remove "dirt", but if dust is your issue, it's the way to go!

It will keep your MO shiny between washes. Once it rains though, fuggattaboutit!

#5 ·
Mr3Putt said:

It won't remove "dirt", but if dust is your issue, it's the way to go!

It will keep your MO shiny between washes. Once it rains though, fuggattaboutit!
Rain, that's about every other day for us in the United Kingdom of Great Brittain and Nothern Ireland (Feld like using the official name for once...)...

Sounds like they don't do much expect for protecting against gravel and the likes...Hmmm, shame but think I'll pass on this option...

#6 ·
I highly recommend the mud guards actually. Sure they are kind of small, but its better than nothing. Since no one here has complained out loud that the rocker panels of their Murano are getting pitted with rock dings, it seems they do work.

#7 ·
Eric L. said:
I highly recommend the mud guards actually. Sure they are kind of small, but its better than nothing. Since no one here has complained out loud that the rocker panels of their Murano are getting pitted with rock dings, it seems they do work.
I like the mud flaps too. I think they contribute some to keeping the car cleaner. They also look nice.

#8 ·
I agree that the benefit of the stock mud flaps is not having anywhere near as much cr*p thrown up from the front wheels onto the side of the vehicle - I added them within the week after purchase, with a noticeable (positive) difference.

#12 ·
Gravel damage

I was searching this forum for information on how to protect the sides of my 05 Murano, and saw that one of you was looking for some loud complaints about rock damage....I HAVE RUST ON MY NEW VEHICLE, I AM P!SSED OFF.

I have had my 05 for about six months, I do drive 75 percent of my kms on gravel, but my previous car, a Grand Prix GT, made 130,000 kms on the same roads, and not a sniff of rust.

Now, of course, my dealership won't do a thing for me except charge $1200.00 for repainting the doors, but what did I expect.

So, the point of my rant, have any of you heard of a good product to put on the lower doors, or a step bar or board that will look good? I already have the splash guards, and they certainly didn't help. If I can't find a solution, I will be switching back to GMC the next vehicle, as I know they make a "Country-folk's truck".

Thanks for any input!

#13 ·
Re: Gravel damage

If I recall, the Gran Prix has plastic cladding on the doors, that probably protected them.

Your best bet would be to get the thin plastic sheeting that can be applied to painted surfaces - a lot of people here have it as a bra/nosemask on the front surface of their vehicles - do a search for more info.

myshylo said:
I was searching this forum for information on how to protect the sides of my 05 Murano, and saw that one of you was looking for some loud complaints about rock damage....I HAVE RUST ON MY NEW VEHICLE, I AM P!SSED OFF.

I have had my 05 for about six months, I do drive 75 percent of my kms on gravel, but my previous car, a Grand Prix GT, made 130,000 kms on the same roads, and not a sniff of rust.

Now, of course, my dealership won't do a thing for me except charge $1200.00 for repainting the doors, but what did I expect.

So, the point of my rant, have any of you heard of a good product to put on the lower doors, or a step bar or board that will look good? I already have the splash guards, and they certainly didn't help. If I can't find a solution, I will be switching back to GMC the next vehicle, as I know they make a "Country-folk's truck".

Thanks for any input!

#14 ·
i'f i could i'd put the 3M on the entire car to prevent and rock or scratch damge occuring to the paint but you know, that's just not gonna happen.

about the mudflaps- the come standard in canada, front and rear. the do keep some of the chips down, but still a heck of a lot on the rear fender flare(that's why there is 3M there) and the bpillar door edges. so i ended up going out to canadian tire and purchasing some cheep 5 dollar plastic mud flaps to extend them a bit and can be easily chaned once they get to worn out of nasty. they did help a little bit but the best part is, they look stock(other than the fact that the are not as wide as the stock front flaps. i see a silver murano driving around the city with a z-grill once in a while and he's got those big red mudflaps that they put onto rally cars. they look like the work but look horrendous.

i'll put a picture up later today.

#15 ·
nissanlove said:
i'f i could i'd put the 3M on the entire car to prevent and rock or scratch damge occuring to the paint but you know, that's just not gonna happen.

about the mudflaps- the come standard in canada, front and rear. the do keep some of the chips down, but still a heck of a lot on the rear fender flare(that's why there is 3M there) and the bpillar door edges. so i ended up going out to canadian tire and purchasing some cheep 5 dollar plastic mud flaps to extend them a bit and can be easily chaned once they get to worn out of nasty. they did help a little bit but the best part is, they look stock(other than the fact that the are not as wide as the stock front flaps. i see a silver murano driving around the city with a z-grill once in a while and he's got those big red mudflaps that they put onto rally cars. they look like the work but look horrendous.

i'll put a picture up later today.
this reminds me - apparently the australian version Murano has these huge mudflaps - you might check to find out where to find them. They were kind of ugly though, but certainly not as bad looking as rust and paint nicks.

#16 ·
and another thing, i don't think he has rust problems, it may just be rusting rail dust that can be clay bared off.

#17 ·
here are the CDN TIRE mudflaps as promised.

as you can see, i attached them using the existing muflap screws.

#18 ·
Many of the US states you must have them ... its a law.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.