·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my MO, but....

I've about HAD IT!

3rd time in the shop in first 75 days. :3:

A quick history:

3 days after driving off the lot: Sunroof fails, front end shutter, and very, very poor gas milage.
TSB fix on the Sunroof. Shutter fixed by tightening the front end. Checked the fuel cell for leaks, checked the lines - all normal.

The very next week back in the shop for the sunroof again and a missing cap for the window washer fluid reservior.

Monday I called for an appointment to take my MO in today.
I made it clear during the call and again this morning (7 am) that I can not be without a car......if they can't fix it today, I need a loaner or rental.
Sure, o.k., they said. Oh, we'll be done before 5 pm. Not a problem they swear.

The problems this time:
1. Rattle / Clanking (like somethings about to fall off) during acceleration and slow downs.
2. Whine (like a turbocharger) during acceleration and slow down.
3. Burning Coolant smell from the engine.
4. A/C when on smells like sweaty feet and/or a musty smell that smells like marijuana.
5. Ticking sound from the driver side of the engine after turning engine off.

I get a call at 2pm telling that they'll need it over night.
Only if I get a rental or loaner.
Dealer says they gotta check with Nissan for permission to do that....WHAT?
NNA won't approve, unless the dealer says what's wrong, dealer doesn't know what's wrong....WHAT?
They have it since 7 am and don't a clue??
Why do I think that the dealer didn't even look at it?

I took the MO back home tonight and will take it back at 7am....AGAIN.

I can't believe I'm putting up with this crap on a new vehicle!
I have meetings at job sites nearly every day and I have small child to pick up by 6 pm and can not have a NEW car in the shop!

I Love my MO, but this crap keeps up.....I'm getting rid of it.
At $30,000 +, I expect better performance.
I've never had a car in the shop this often......much less in the first 75 days.

Anyone else having heartache like this?
OR is my MO "special"
:banghead:

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Unfortunately, I think your MO is special. Mine has had its little irritants, but nothing as bad as that. I hope that you either find a different car that is less troublesome or that your car decides to settle down after this round of issues.
-----------
On a similar note, is it customary for dealerships to give rental cars? I need to take mine in for service and with the TSBs and other work that they are going to do they will have it for a whole day. Like sincity here I will need some mode of transportation. I have the premium extended warranty, does this make a difference?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've had my share of minor irritants as well.

Your MO definitely sounds like a special case.
Lemon Law time, possibly?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
My Murano started life badly.
Especially since I was forced to listen to the Japanese propaganda for years. "Oh yes, they are much better than American cars you know.":rolleyes:

Well, anyway, my Murano was in the shop 3 times for 5 different problems, three of them twice, in the first 3 months.
One problem that took two trips to really fix was the loose steering rack. (And then the dealer tightened it while the steering wheel was off center) That completely destroyed the Japanese car myth in my mind. And the myth that if it was built in Japan, it was built better than slovenly Americans can build it. Right.

Anyway, I wasn't too happy.

But a funny thing has happened over the last 9 months.
Nothing.
Nothing has gone wrong. Nothing has broke. (Tho,of course I expect the Alternator to go bad. I realize that it is just waiting till I go on vacation and it will break in Mule Shoe Texas, at 2AM on a Sunday morning.)

So maybe, just maybe, if you fight your way through this period, your Murano will straighten up and fly right.
Mine has.

Homer

·
Registered
564 Posts
sincity - my sympathies. Sounds like you have an atypical Murano. With nearly four months of ownership under my belt, I've been to the shop once for a bad seal on the fuel filler cap causing an SES lamp and a rear seat DVD problem. The SES was diagnosed and fixed in half a day. I'm waiting on the new DVD player to come in.

Unfortunately, lemon laws only help if you bring a car back numerous times FOR THE SAME PROBLEM. The dealer has to be given a chance to diagnose and fix the problem. Once he's done that, if the problem reoccurs and is "fixed" and reoccurs again, then you start to get into lemon law territory. State laws differ, so you'll have to check your home jurisidiction.

Keep at the dealer and hopefully the problems will be all resolved soon. As for the bad gas mileage, mine was really crappy at first as well (15 mpg in mixed use). After 3,000 miles, its starting to improve (18 mpg in city, 20 plus highway). I'm hoping it keeps heading in the current directional path!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Certainly not unique

You are definitely not alone. Just went through the same kind of experience with another '04 Nissan vehicle. Company seems to be terribly challenged in terms of qualty standards, customer service, and willingness to admit to and correct known problems.(until the threat of negative publicity is impending).

Details of my experience would take a small book to describe, but, like you, I loved the vehicle. It was beautiful in concept and a real joy to drive. Regretably, a combination of product ignorance (deception?) at the dealership/corporate level, numerous defects, confrontational attitude in the service and customer relations departments, failure at NNA/NMAC to make the slightest effort to help me resolve the problems, combined with serious health concerns on my part, finally forced me to cut my losses and get rid of the car. In the past, I would have fought them to the bitter end. This time I couldn't. Obviously that's what they depend on when dealing with individual buyers, and, sadly, I had no choice but to let them get away with that kind of crap.

I subsequently went to another Nissan dealership (only place that was interested enough in my "specialty" vehicle to make a trade practical), got a new MO (which I firmly believe must have been built on another planet it's that much better), and now have access to a much improved service department. Unfortunately, I still have to contend with NNA/NMAC which remains the worst corporate entity I have ever had to deal with. I guess it may just boil down to the luck of the draw. Fortunately for me, the vehicle I had was sufficiently rare in this region to allow me to get out of it without too much damage. You may have to stand and fight with a MO.

If that turns out to be the case, this forum can certainly be a godsend for you. Good people. Lots of reinforcement in identifying and resolving specific problems, and just plain comfort in knowing that you are not alone. As a final thought, you may want to check out any other Nissan dealerships in your area. These are franchises with apparently little or no Corporate influence/concern placed on them in terms of quality, training, or service. So, there can be day and night differences in the way they treat you and their level of competence. Worth looking into for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
One of the reasons dealers tend to play a very low priority on warranty repairs is because it does not make money for them. They already sold you a $35,000 car for a hefty profit, what more obligation do they have to keep you happy? Now the ten year old Sentras that come in for $600 worth of misc repairs, its possible the owner will finally put the car out to pasture and buy a new Nissan.

On average, the warranty rate that the manufacturer pays the dealer for repairs is 50-70% of the normal dealers rate they would charge the customer for the same repair. So if you were the service manager with a packed repair bay, which would you repair first? Yes customer service comes into mind, but I'm sure greed comes into play for max profit at the expense of customer satisfaction.

That said, I've found great variability in dealer service. Some will take a car on a first come first serve basis, and in such a case, you will get your car looked at if you take it in early in the morning. For other dealerships, they'll keep your car for the whole day and never look at it (priority of non warranty over warranty repairs).

If you really want the dealer to diagnose your car immediately, ask for a service tech to ride with you, and he will listen for the noises you describe. Otherwise you'll get the "could not duplicate" on your repair order, which has spiked my blood pressure quite a few times! :mad:

Good luck with your dealer. Worse comes to worse, fill out all negatives in the survey they send you.

·
Canadian MO
56 Posts
I feel for you! but you are not alone

I have had the same problems, other than the sunroof which my Mo is not equiped. Poor mileage on the other end will get better as you stack up some more miles, I am getting low 20' in the highway.. not bad. I am seriously consdering upgrading to a 4 runner, way tighter and most likely less problems..

My MO still has some squeeks and rattles, i don't feel it's going to age very well, in regards to its durability. If i knew what i know now I would have bought something else.:confused:

·
Major Geek
638 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Service Results......

Thanks for the info everyone.
You're all great!
I'm so glad this forum is here....Thanks again.

I took the MO back in this morning and went on a drive along.
I don't think the drive along did any good as it was rather windy today and hampered hearing.

Here are the results:

1. Rattle/Clanking Noise = Tech says "engine ping" and prescribes additive. I doubt this diagnosis as I use 91 Octane and the sound is NOT an engine ping sound.....its a metal clanking sound. Additonally, on the way home I was now able to hear the sound with my windows up.....sounded like it came from the center to passenger side of the engine compartment.

2.Turbocharger-like Whine = They said this is a normal typical sound for this type of engine.

3. Burning Coolant Smell = They think some coolant was spilled during prep and is burning off.
Burning off for 2 1/2 months????? I Dunno about that.

4. A/C ordor = They Disinfected and Deordorized Evaporator through the Microfilter. (Now it kinda smells like baking soda was poured down the vents)

5.Ticking Sound = This is normal sound related to the heat shielding.

I'm going back over there tomarrow and request another ride along....the wind was too loud to get a good listen. Using 91 Octane, I shouldn't have a "ping". This noise has now become so loud that I can hear it in the cab with the windows up....anyone have a "ping" that loud?

This service department is so hungry for a good service survey that the guy handling the paperwork offered a free fill-up.
Noooooooooo Thanks. Not even if gas was $3 a gallon.
Do good work and ya get good grades.

When my first oil chance / scheduled maintance comes up (in a few weeks), I'm heading over to another dealership and have them check out these items and see what they come up with.

Anyone have experience with Planet Nissan in Las Vegas, NV?

I bought and serviced my MO at Desert Nissan.

Anyone have a GOOD experience at Desert Nissan?
Judging by the conversations I had with other customers waiting in line at 6:45 am.....Slim to None, I'd say.
Alot of P.O.'d people before 7 am (and some of them I've seen in line before) is not a good sign.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had several bad experiences at Desert Nissan. They repaired the damage they caused three different times, but it was a hassle. Another time the service rep tacked on a $60 tax to my bill, for what I don't recall. I made such a fuss about this they took it right off and were very happy to see me drive off. There was something else regarding a repair, but I need to ask my husband the details about the part. Anyway, what they said I needed to replace was not the case and my husband made the repair for a fraction of what they quoted. This all happened with my Maxima.

I've only been to the Planet Nissan parts department to purchase goodies for the MO. We did stop there when we were looking to buy the MO, but both the salespeople we spoke to didn't know much about the MO.

Please post any good experiences you have with the local dealers.
Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ooops,

I nearly forgot......the service guys did leave behind a little rememberence of this experience.

A nice scratch on my front passenger door panel.

Gee thanks.....so much for a flawless interior.

I also noticed something strange on or with the paint on the rear door at the joint near the fuel door. I hope it's not from the Nissan Heavy Duty Fuel Additive that the tech poured in. The guy tells me when I add the last half of the additive (3 tank fills from now) to be extra careful not to get any on the paint. I hope HE was careful.

Please don't tell me he got some on the MO. :1pat:
So, much for my flawless paint......
I'll be looking after that area REAL close for awhile.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ann,

Was that YOUR Glacier Pearl MO in front of me at Desert's Service Department this morning?

I'll check with a neighbor, I think his wife bought an Altima from Planet Nissan a week after I got my MO. (now he wants a MO)

I'll post my experience with Plantet Nissan in a few weeks when I go over there.

Have you dealt with Douglas Nissan or United Nissan?

One guy in line this morning said he has good service at United.
He came to Desert because it's closer to work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No, I wasn't at Desert Nissan this morning. When I gave up on Desert Nissan I began going out to Henderson before that dealership became Douglas. They weren't nearly as busy there and at first the service was great and I got to know one of the mechanics and he was excellent and honest. Eventually he left and the dealership became Douglas. When I would take the car in for an oil change they would do that and nothing else. They missed some problems with the Max that should have been detected on a regular service.

I've only been to United Nissan when I was searching for the MO. I do hope Planet Nissan is better than the others. I'll be anxious to read your, and your neighbor's, experience with Planet Nissan.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I agree with #5 - a ticking sound after you turn off the car is the sound of the exhaust components cooling off and the metal contracting. *Clink clink clink* - every car does that.

The other complaints - sounds like the classic "could not duplicate" again.

·
4,664 Posts
Re: Service Results......

sincityswany said:
1. Rattle/Clanking Noise = Tech says "engine ping" and prescribes additive. I doubt this diagnosis as I use 91 Octane and the sound is NOT an engine ping sound.....its a metal clanking sound. Additonally, on the way home I was now able to hear the sound with my windows up.....sounded like it came from the center to passenger side of the engine compartment.

I know this sound and you're the first one to mention it. I heard it driving through New Hampshire last summer and I said to my wife, what the heck is that? It was over some rough roads, but not extremely rough, just a little broken up. I heard it maybe 5 times and have not heard it since. (Which I find strange, in itself...)

2.Turbocharger-like Whine = They said this is a normal typical sound for this type of engine.
Or this type of transmission...

3. Burning Coolant Smell = They think some coolant was spilled during prep and is burning off.
Burning off for 2 1/2 months????? I Dunno about that.
Had this one for a few days, once. I asked about it, haven't had it since. Again about a year ago.

5.Ticking Sound = This is normal sound related to the heat shielding.
I agree with this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Ping" or not to "Ping"

The Rattle/Clanking noise only happens while driving.
If I'm in park and press down on the accelerator.....nothing.

If this sound was engine ping......would I not also hear it when giving it gas in park?

·
MOtivated!
50 Posts
That Ping

I started hearing the pinging sound, too. You know how vehicles make that metallic ping when you park them and they are cooling down? Same noise, only mine does that while it's driving. I can't imagine what is heating up or cooling down after 45 minutes on the road, but I can hear it. Dealer says its "normal operation." That's the same line I got about the power steering stiffness.

Whatever. :confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MO MAINTENCE MADDNESS

I tried Planet Nissan (Las Vegas) when I when in for the first Oil Change / Scheduled Maintance.

While there I had them look into two of my re-occurring issues:
1. The constant ticking during Acceleration and De-acceleration.

2. The A/C smell of sweaty feet.

These items I've had Desert Nissan (the dearship of purchase) look at before....without success.

Planet Nissan is the new kid on the block in Las Vegas Nissan Dealerships.

The Service drop-off area is nice with a 3-wide covered bay that is about 3 or 4 Vehicles deep with plenty of driveway before you are forced to line up in the street (unlike Desert Nissan)
The Service Rep was out to my MO's door and taking down what needs to be done before I had turned off the MO or undone my seatbealt. They have one of the best waiting areas that I've seen. There is a countertop with seating at a window that views the service bay so you can see the work being done (if your vehicle is in that half of the service bay), and they have a lounge-like seating area that has a 42" or 50" plasma screen TV with a dish connection (it is football season after all), 4 small sofas and two armchairs with tables. There is an enclosed Kids play room too.

The Results:
1. (rattle) The Tech took it out and did hear the noise (not with me), he also took out a similar MO from the lot and said that the noise happens on that one too.
They said sound is from a bracket for the exhaust near the engine and that there is NO FIX for it!

I asked about TSB's on the Murano and he said that Nissan does not have any TSB's on the Murano!

2. (A/C stink) They did the SAME thing that Desser Nissan did: Deordorized the A/C.

They did wash my dirty MO for me without killing the paint or leaving spots of dirt all over......one small plus.

While the atmosphere was far better than Desert Nissan and the personel was nicer....the quality in the service work was not much better than Desert Nissan.
I still have the ticking noise (that is driving me NUTS) and it looks like in 2 or 3 weeks I'll be smelling sweaty feet eveytime my A/C is turned on!
The crap from the Service Rep. about NO TSB's is VERY TROUBLESOME! If you go there.....go loaded with TSB info and info from this site as they will try to BS you.

STILL NO LUCK IN VEGAS FOR A GOOD SERVICE DEPT.
They are ALL idiots!

p.s.

On the A/C stink: My wife saw a notice yesterday at a Big O Tire Store that indicated if you need your A/C replaced if there are smells coming from it like what I'm experiencing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the update on the Planet Nissan service department. How discouraging that they would say there are no TSB's on the MO. I wonder how these people keep their jobs. Amazing!!!

I'm almost due for my second oil change so I guess I'll squeeze in a visit on my next trip to CA to the dealership where I purchased the MO, as I did for the first oil change.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts