Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the car at 124K miles and didn’t know its maintenance history, and it’s 138K now. Since a year ago, I noticed it has been slow in accelerating, and kind of jerky at 15-25 MPH (mostly when speeding up from idle). The jerking almost disappeared if I used manual gears, instead of D.

Last week, check engine light came up, and the code (don’t remember the exact one) asked for a new camshaft sensor - bank 1. I thought I would just replace both, and also replace spark plugs since I wasn’t sure if they were ever changed.

So while waiting for the spark plugs, sockets and the intake manifold gasket from Amazon, it started removing stuffs to get access to all old spark plugs (progress 40% so far). But today sockets came and I was able to take out spark plugs 2 4 6 (the easy ones). I realized the Bosch ones were put in in the past, and they are still in good shape to me.

So should I continue with replacing the spark plugs (bought NGK Iridium ones already) along with the camshaft sensors?

Cost is not an issie here since the spark plugs + gasket are only $55, but being able to save the work and avoid screwing up others would be nice.

Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
There is sticky for 1st gen plugs replacement. The ngk number is there and its platinum. I think 100k is good enough to use the same plugs. Maybe exchange you iridiums.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is sticky for 1st gen plugs replacement. The ngk number is there and its platinum. I think 100k is good enough to use the same plugs. Maybe exchange you iridiums.
Yes I can return/exchange for the platinum, but my research so far says iridium spark plugs are better than platinum on all aspects. Did I miss anything here?

And for some reason a set of 6 platinum is now $55 on Amazon (Link), but same set of iridium is only $37 (link)

·
Super Moderator
1,375 Posts
Yes I can return/exchange for the platinum, but my research so far says iridium spark plugs are better than platinum on all aspects. Did I miss anything here?

And for some reason a set of 6 platinum is now $55 on Amazon (Link), but same set of iridium is only $37 (link)
Your electronics (Coils) expect platinum plugs. Nissan is very peculiar with their electronics, even the brand of plug matters.

From personal experience, using non-OEM plugs will cause issues within 500 miles.

Platinum and iridium have different resistances, with the coils designed with this difference in mind.

Have a good day.

Reactions: Tronghieu1987

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your electronics (Coils) expect platinum plugs. Nissan is very peculiar with their electronics, even the brand of plug matters.

From personal experience, using non-OEM plugs will cause issues within 500 miles.

Platinum and iridium have different resistances, with the coils designed with this difference in mind.

Have a good day.
Thank you for the explanation! Makes a lot of sense to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts