Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having chrome rust issues. All body paint is fine, but the chrome paint looks terrible. Nissan central customer service claims they have never heard of it. Yet local dealer service departments say it's common, but Nissan doesn't want to do anything about it. Here is a picture. Has anyone seen similar issues? I have still under 3 year warranty and am disappointed with how it's handled.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
That's not rust. It's some kind of contaminant that has discolored the plastic trim. Where do you park? Are you near some kind of chemical plants?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I park in my garage, free of chemicals. It seems like there are posts are all sorts of chrome defects for Nissans, so I wondering who has seen this issue. Also, at the service department in at the dealership, I see similar problems on other Nissans.

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,286 Posts
Are you in a winter climate? Liquid deicer that they use on some roads can often discolor the plastic chrome trim. That may be it in your case. Is it more in the front?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do spend part of winter in snowy climate, so there is probably de-icer on the road. My last Nissan never had any chrome issues, and my driving/living patterns have not changed. The damage is on all chrome, including door handles and trims, not just the front.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would agree that something was sprayed, but the chrome is affected all over, like all the Nissan logos on the front and back of the car are rusting, but the silver body paint is fine. You would think all the paint would be affected equally unless the chrome was missing the top coat or something strange.

I am open to ideas on polishing compounds. I used a soft buffing wheel on a small spot with no effect. The polish seems to cover it but not take it off.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
There are enough other Nissan owners here that, if this was a `common problem,' it certainly would have been reported here before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At the Nissan service department, several cars parked next to mine had the same rust issues. The tech showed them to me and said it was a common issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just want some help with how to clean it off. Service tech says all Nissan vehicles have issues from salt in winter. Nissan claims any damage caused from the outdoor environment is not covered, so I should drive my car indoors? Even the Altimas and Rogues and Infinit G37 have it. My friends with Toyotas, BMW, and Chevys do not have this problem. I still call this warranty denial BS as all cars are driven in the elements of our environments outdoors. Nissan has defective chrome paint is too cheap to cover it under warranty.

Funny they called to ask me to pay to extend my warranty....I think not. I have been a loyal Nissan customer for 13 years. They used to use Michelin tires, now the factory tires are Goodyear. Factory battery used to last me 4 years, but it dies after 23 months. I think Nissan is going cheap.

Again, I would like suggestions on how to polish chrome.....chrome paint on plastic, not metal chrome.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I call BS on this.
I'm with you, Halwg. I've had a number of Nissans in my family for over 30 years (bought my first one - a Maxima - in 1984) and have never had, nor heard of this `problem.' And I, along with most of the rest of my Nissan owning family members, am in a relatively harsh environment.

Does anyone else here ever remember seeing this issue reported on this forum? Along with a couple others, I HAVE experienced the rusting along the inner rear door seams, but nothing on exterior surfaces.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the no help from this forum. It has forced me to look deeper into this common issue that has many car owners concerned. I am posting the below quote for all others having this issue.

"Complaints about the corrosive effects of the newer chloride treatments have flooded state and local departments of transportation almost from the start. Stories of widespread and unprecedented trouble abound: Chrome and painted surfaces are stained; aluminum is pitted, electrical wiring and fixtures dissolve; and large structural bolts and braces crumble."

from: Vehicle Corrosion Protection Colorado Springs CO - Vehicle Corrosion Protection

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,286 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
This post has been almost a month and was the issue ever resolved? If not look at the warranty info on page 2.

It obvious that Nissan changed to a different supplier, changed the formula or just pain contamination. Since it is not "safety" related it becomes a ping pong match. For Nissan to start replacing chrome on thousands of vehicles it is expensive so with Nissan claiming it's the environment contamination, that puts the ball on your side of the table.

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/common/2013/2013-nissan-warranty-booklet.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
  • I am having chrome rust issues. All body paint is fine, but the chrome paint looks terrible. Nissan central customer service claims they have never heard of it. Yet local dealer service departments say it's common, but Nissan doesn't want to do anything about it. Here is a picture. Has anyone seen similar issues? I have still under 3 year warranty and am disappointed with how it's handled.
I just purchased a used 2018 Murano. When I first saw the white spots on the chrome I wasn't concerned. I thought they were water spots and could be polished off with a microfiber cloth. However, when that didn't work I took a closer look and saw what appear to be pitting as would appear when metal rusts. I was confused as I thought all of the chrome trim was plastic. However, I noticed that the visible parts of the exhaust pipes have rust spots. I decided to do a Google search on the problem and came across this forum. So, from the description of the original posting, I would say I have the same problem. At least I know I'm not imaging the issue. However, it's disheartening to know that the trim replacement is not considered under warranty. I'll still check with my local dealer in case this has changed since this forum started.

This is my first Nissan purchase.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
8 Participants
JJG
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing