Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of cars have issue with transmissions and I think I may have that as well. The only difference I noticed is that it gets weird after its warmed/heated up after driving in start/stop traffic. It happens at low rpm and steady rpm. Wondering if it could be anything other than TX. Its fine when it starts cold.

Its been happening recently and I have had the tx oil replaced earlier and topped up now. Did not help.
Other than that I had started hearing a whining noise at around 80k and that has gone. The car seems to brake harder than before when coming to a stop.

Anyone hopes and ideas ?

Plan to take it to aamco as its getting older now but sad part is i paid it off last year and was hoping to keep this for another 100k miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Could not find any fault codes and recommended to change the spark plugs. Its too expensive at $500. Anyone know any Diy.?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Did the OBD scanner you used have the ability to scan for Nissan TCM (transmission) codes? Not all do...

Your symptoms would lead me to believe it's your transmission... I wouldn't spend the money on changing your spark plugs until you're confident it's not the CVT. AAMCO should be able to scan it for TCM codes. Hopefully it's something "less" expensive, like the CVT valve body.

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,773 Posts
Replacing the spark plugs requires removing the intake manifold, but that quote is too high.

If you had a spark plug problem, you would have error codes. It is NOT the plugs, and don't do business with that repair shop.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did I just read $500 for spark plugs??
Yes thats the lowest quote !

Replacing the spark plugs requires removing the intake manifold, but that quote is too high.

If you had a spark plug problem, you would have error codes. It is NOT the plugs, and don't do business with that repair shop.
Thats good info. There are no error codes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did the OBD scanner you used have the ability to scan for Nissan TCM (transmission) codes? Not all do...

Your symptoms would lead me to believe it's your transmission... I wouldn't spend the money on changing your spark plugs until you're confident it's not the CVT. AAMCO should be able to scan it for TCM codes. Hopefully it's something "less" expensive, like the CVT valve body.
They did a free scan I am not sure they may have used TCM codes reader. But the aamco guy was certain its not the Transmission.

Without error codes everyone is asking just over $150 to diagnose it without guarantee they will find anything. Is the CVT valve body a cheaper fix ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also I got under the murano on the passenger side to see if there was any oil leakage and I see this oil soaked part. NOt sure what it is but i am sure it shouldn't be like this.
IMG_20191023_191200.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,773 Posts
They did a free scan I am not sure they may have used TCM codes reader. But the aamco guy was certain its not the Transmission.

Without error codes everyone is asking just over $150 to diagnose it without guarantee they will find anything. Is the CVT valve body a cheaper fix ?
AAMCO is not where you need to go for a diagnosis on a CVT. A dealer is the place - and I don't usually recommend dealers, but this is a special transmission. Unless my sister was married to the owner of the AAMCO shop, no one there would touch my Murano's CVT.

Given the situation, I think it's worth having a dealer check codes and the transmission. You're dealing with a potential $4,000 repair here, so spend the money to go to someone who presumably knows what they are doing. The photo doesn't show anything that I consider immediately important.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I know a lot of cars have issue with transmissions and I think I may have that as well. The only difference I noticed is that it gets weird after its warmed/heated up after driving in start/stop traffic. It happens at low rpm and steady rpm. Wondering if it could be anything other than TX. Its fine when it starts cold.
If the car runs fine at cold start then that's when the engine is operating in open loop. Before taking it somewhere to get the transmission torn apart, take 5 minutes to inspect the air intake tubing for tears to make sure the problem isn't a simple vacuum leak. Lean conditions can cause hesitation symptoms (could feel like jerking), which worn spark plugs would exacerbate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the car runs fine at cold start then that's when the engine is operating in open loop. Before taking it somewhere to get the transmission torn apart, take 5 minutes to inspect the air intake tubing for tears to make sure the problem isn't a simple vacuum leak. Lean conditions can cause hesitation symptoms (could feel like jerking), which worn spark plugs would exacerbate.
Thanks Could you guide me where to check ?

·
Registered
402 Posts
An open loop condition should trigger an ECM code, shouldn't it?

Good thing to check the air intake tubing though, great advice (as always!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tightened the air intake clips one of which was slightly loose(not much) , same symptons appeared when the car was in traffic stopping at every red light :( jerking really bad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also definitely does not seem to be the plugs as it revs without a hiccup.
I appreciate all this input and please keep sharing thoughts

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'd take it to a Nissan dealer ASAP to have it diagnosed. Driving with it jerking may further damage the CVT (if it is the CVT.) It's possible a less expensive repair, like a valve body replacement, can be done.

·
Registered
342 Posts
An open loop condition should trigger an ECM code, shouldn't it?

Good thing to check the air intake tubing though, great advice (as always!)
Every car starts in open loop when the engine is cold and the PCM monitors various sensors until they meet the conditions for going into closed loop (usually the main thing is the temperature of the A/F and O2 sensors). If there is a problem preventing the PCM from commanding closed loop then a code would be triggered. The engine will also enter open loop under some other conditions (e.g. deceleration and wide-open throttle), but here's the full list from the service manual:

Open Loop Control
The open loop system condition refers to when the ECM detects any of the following conditions. Feedback control stops in order to maintain stabilized fuel combustion.
  • Deceleration and acceleration
  • High-load, high-speed operation
  • Malfunction of A/F sensor 1 or its circuit
  • Insufficient activation of A/F sensor 1 at low engine coolant temperature
  • High engine coolant temperature
  • During warm-up
  • After shifting from N to D
  • When starting the engine

·
Registered
342 Posts
Tightened the air intake clips one of which was slightly loose(not much) , same symptons appeared when the car was in traffic stopping at every red light :( jerking really bad.
Do you mean the clips on the airbox? I meant the rubber hose connecting the engine with the airbox. You really need to remove it to properly inspect it. If there is a hole or tear in that hose then unmetered air will enter the engine, which can cause symptoms like hesitation and surging.

Also definitely does not seem to be the plugs as it revs without a hiccup.
I appreciate all this input and please keep sharing thoughts
This would actually be consistent with a vacuum leak.

Look, the problem may very well be with the CVT but before you start getting charged expensive diagnostic fees etc. at least try to make sure it's not something simple that you can fix yourself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i am going to try the carb cleaner spray technique to check for airleak tonight.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts