Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nissan Murano 2020 whining-whistling noise when driving over 90 mph.
Noise is very loud it start at 85 mph depends if wind blow against you or side ways but constantly start at 90-95 mph. if you drive 100 mph and over noise is very loud.
I am not talking about wind noise it is whistling louder than set belt beeping but constantly.
I complain in the Nissan service but they said they can not help me bc they can not drive/test car faster than speed limit.
Is anyone experience something like that.?
Thank you

·
Administrator
9,174 Posts
Anything different about your car like roof racks, different mirrors or external accessories?

And why are you surprised that at 85-90 MPH there is more wind noise than at lower speeds? On the street, you should seldom be at that speed, and only for a few seconds for some kind of emergency.

And your sentence is confusing, but do you mean you're driving 90 MPH without wearing the seat belt, so there is beeping as well?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Maybe you've got mice nesting in the air canister and at that high speed there's just too much air rushing into their home, so they're whistling for you to slow down. :D

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Noise is very loud it start at 85 mph depends if wind blow against you or side ways but constantly start at 90-95 mph. if you drive 100 mph and over noise is very loud.
I am not talking about wind noise it is whistling louder than set belt beeping but constantly.
I complain in the Nissan service but they said they can not help me bc they can not drive/test car faster than speed limit.
Thank you
If you have a moonroof, check the alignment of the panels. My '19 had a misalignment, the moving panel sat lower in one corner when closed. This was due to a loose alignment adjustment screw, and caused a whistling type sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anything different about your car like roof racks, different mirrors or external accessories?

And why are you surprised that at 85-90 MPH there is more wind noise than at lower speeds? On the street, you should seldom be at that speed, and only for a few seconds for some kind of emergency.

And your sentence is confusing, but do you mean you're driving 90 MPH without wearing the seat belt, so there is beeping as well?
It was long ride on the highway and car suppose to run up to 130 mph without any problems, but at 95 mph it become very annoying whistling sound coming from the front of the car. Car is new only 9k miles.
I have Maxima and with that speed there is no other sound but the wind hissing. there is something in the front of the car that make that sound. I wish I know what is it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a moonroof, check the alignment of the panels. My '19 had a misalignment, the moving panel sat lower in one corner when closed. This was due to a loose alignment adjustment screw, and caused a whistling type sound.

Noise coming from the from of the car. I think this is design problem unless is something wrong just with my car.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Noise coming from the from of the car. I think this is design problem unless is something wrong just with my car.
Design problem? This car is not designed for people who like to drive more than 100mph. If you want an SUV that can drive comfortably at Autobahn speeds then you should have bought an SUV made to run on the Autobahn--for example, something from BMW or Audi.

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Administrator
9,174 Posts
Design problem? This car is not designed for people who like to drive more than 100mph. If you want an SUV that can drive comfortably at Autobahn speeds then you should have bought an SUV made to run on the Autobahn--for example, something from BMW or Audi.
Exactly. there's nowhere in the US that you can drive that speed legally, and Muranos are not designed for it.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
84 Posts
The Murano probably has its electronic speed limiter set under 118 mph because it's equipped with T rated tires at least on the 18" wheels. Where did Nissan ever advertise that it was rated to even go over 100 mph?

You could mount a GoPro camera on various spots on the front end (securely) and maybe narrow it down. I'll bet the grille and hood area likely have a tendency to whistle when you go that fast.

You could cover the front of the Murano with NASCAR tape/contact film and see if the noise goes away. If it does, just keep it covered. Make sure to leave room for air and don't cover your lights. It might tear off your paint. But it is rated to 200 mph :) ISC RACERS TAPE

·
Registered
2017.5 Nissan Murano SL
5 Posts
Thank you
I had a 2016 Altima that would have a whining like whistle noise at certain speeds. But I think it was from the transmission because I had issues with my transmission that I was told was “normal” 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you
Mine is a 2016 and when the temp drops below freezing I get a whistle coming from the front window at highway speed+. It only happens in the winter. Thinking the seal must shrink a bit when the temp goes down. Happens every winter since I bought it. Irritating but no way to fix it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You're never going to get accurate diagnosis to your issue, as many others allude to, as there are WAY too many variables and reasons for wind noise. Trim, rubber, wipers, mirrors, even leaves or a plastic bag can be pulled into the front. Don't pay anyone to diagnose it, as process of elimination to determine a nuisance cause can get expensive. I would say look around for loose or damaged/malformation trim, wipers...roof, bumper or just under the hood, especially towards or around radiator support where most of your wind channels...next would be undercarriage and removable panels not being properly replaced or seated [especially after an oil change]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you
Is the Murano shimmiying or are its' tires running roughly? It could out of balance tires. Have you had the Murano's front-end aligned recently? It also could be a flaw in the design of the Murano. It has so many different lines imbedded on its body that I'm surprised it doesn't start making noise at 30MPH. Ours blows all over the road starting at about 90mph. Nearly blew us off the road one time .. thankfully a semi truck passed us on the right going 95 and helped re-stabalized our instability. Whew. We stay under 87mph now on the hiway and have no issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you
What country are you in? Must be one of the countries with no speed limits.

·
Administrator
9,174 Posts
What country are you in? Must be one of the countries with no speed limits.
His country shows as USA. See the flag below his avatar.

Reactions: Nikola

·
Registered
672 Posts
I had this issue with my Murano at higher speeds with cross wind. I think it's the windshield cowl that's vibrating and making the sound. Sounds like someone is blowing a leaf in between their palms and making that loud buzzing noise.

Never looked into fixing it but if you have the same problem and fix it, let me know of the solution you found.

I find mine does the sound at about 280km/h. Kidding... but it starts usually at around 130km/h and only if there is strong wind from the side.

·
Registered
2019 Platinum 2WD White
31 Posts
I haven't done this on purpose but here in AZ mountain speed limits are 75mph. Most people drive 80 to 85. I found my Murano going 95 before I realized. The Nissan was rock solid. No wind noise. Maybe if the car had poor handling at that speed I would have noticed how fast I was going.🏜

·
Registered
114 Posts
I haven't done this on purpose but here in AZ mountain speed limits are 75mph. Most people drive 80 to 85. I found my Murano going 95 before I realized. The Nissan was rock solid. No wind noise. Maybe if the car had poor handling at that speed I would have noticed how fast I was going.🏜
Same here in southern CA. Going over the Grapevine a few times. Downhill speeds can get to 95 easy. At times I even gave some more gas when about to go uphill again ... no dramas.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts