Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ö¿Ö
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in a car accident today. It as a light one but kinda sad to see the murano dented.

Here is the story.
I was at waiting at a long line to make a left turn. The left errow turns green. slowly car moves up. When i am aproaching the light the light turns yellow so i slow down and stop. Then the light turns red moment after. Sadly the car behind me thinks that i will run that yellow so the driver stepped on the gas. Here is the result of the incident. The dent isn't bad but the hassel of going through the insurance will be a pain. =(

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
At least the accident wasn't your fault (hopefully you do not live in one of those states where its 50/50 fault no matter who caused the accident). Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
iiiwabibitoiii-

That's not too bad, but it is damaged none the less.

If it happened to me I would be furious at the idiot behind me and would do my very best to convey my displeasure. :cursin: Many people forget that a yellow light means to slow down so you don't run the red light. Some believe it means "speed-up" to get through the light.

I am not sure about your location, but here in New Jersey if someone hits you from behind at a traffic signal they are 100% at fault.

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
iiiwabibitoiii said:
I just moved to california so i don't know what is the state policy is. I hope it is not a 50/50 state.
Lucky for you - it isn't. In CA - 99% in a collision like this, the car behind is at fault. The argument is that cars following behind need to maintain a safe following distance. The car behind you did not, and could not stop in time, so its at fault, not you.

This has happened to me a few times (in CA) and I was never at fault. In one odd accident (perhaps not so odd in hilly San Francisco) a stick shift vehicle driven by an inexperienced driver rolled back in front of me and hit my front bumper. This was the only time I was ever hit in the front, and not at fault.

·
Ö¿Ö
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem just got worst, Farmers insurance just gave me a call and say that they are still investigating this issue. There is a problem with the policy that the driver is excluded from the policy the car is under. They may or may not give me the money for the fix and i have to go through my own insurance. One question, isn't it illegal in CA to drive if you are not insured? Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
iiiwabibitoiii said:
The problem just got worst, Farmers insurance just gave me a call and say that they are still investigating this issue. There is a problem with the policy that the driver is excluded from the policy the car is under. They may or may not give me the money for the fix and i have to go through my own insurance. One question, isn't it illegal in CA to drive if you are not insured? Anyone know?
Yes its illegal to drive *a vehicle that is not insured.* Suppose you lend your car to a friend who does not own a car. Obviously this friend would not have car insurance - in this case if said friend crashed your car, it would fall on *your* insurance. Now if you have your own car insurance and crash your friend's car (insured separately) - it would fall on your insurance again. The latter scenario also applies for rental cars.

In the case of your accident, if the vehicle that hit you was not insured (and the driver not insured for another vehicle separately) then they'll have to go after the driver to pay out of pocket for your repairs. Chances are if they did not have insurance, they'll probably not have the money to pay for the repair! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Ö¿Ö
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the car is insured under the driver's family member. Some how the driver is excluded from the policy. Hopefully the they can go after the car owner since the car is insured.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Excluded from the policy normally means 'he is not suppost to drive the car'. Possibly serious traffic records in the past; DUI, compliance with the SR22, even license suspension. Use your insurance to take care of the repair and have your insurance to collect from the other party! Either way, the other guy is screwed big time!

NZM

·
Ö¿Ö
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Enforcer said:

Looks like that can be fixed easy. That doesn't mean it will be inexpensive though :(.

I went for an estimate this morning, they haven't estimate body structural damage yet. Just the surface estimate they quote me $1985. Lolz,

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I got jammed in the rear too (not my fault). At least you didn't get pushed in someone in front of your (like what happened to me.)

Sorry about that... the only thing I can recommend is to have the body shop do minimal. No matter how good they are it will not be like factory. So asside from $$$ avoid repainting large areas that have very small issues. I would guess all you need in the rear is a new bumper cover but who knows.

Good luck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
iiiwabibitoiii said:

I went for an estimate this morning, they haven't estimate body structural damage yet. Just the surface estimate they quote me $1985. Lolz,

Wow thats too much!I put a dent on my Fender,Went to get an estimate $940 for new OEM fender painted,went to my insurance they quote it for $995minus $500 deductible they wrote me a check for
$495,I went bought a fender and I'm having it painted all for $400 got another $95 to see if I can find someone to install.
if you insurance quote you for that amount or more grab it like a stolen banshee and go by the side you might end up with some cash on your pocket.
by the way check this ebay bumper cover:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISS...019QQitemZ290010526351QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Don't feel so bad about the accident. They to the best of us. I posted sometime about my run-away Mo at a gas station as it rolled away, not in Park with the engine off. Front bumper sustained a similar whack. It's all fixed as good as new and just a bad memory now. A new bumper skin with paint to match and it came out great. Pick a top notch shop to get the work done and you'll be OK.
Bob1

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Or take the $2K

Replace the chrome strip yourself, Take the previous advice and heat gun the plastic part. Add a spot of paint, rub out and have $1500+ left for neato accessories.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts