Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the Canadians have Daytime Running Lights. The fog lights are on during the day...

But not in the USA, at least not in Georgia anyway.

Is this difference a matter of a simple setting, turning a screw, flipping a hidden switch, a different part?

Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm guessing there is a drl module or the headlight module is different than the non drl module. Chances are it could just be a plug n play, but you gotta figure out what to plug in. Check the nissan dealer and see if they will let you look through the service manual, or go to the parts deparment and see if they have a drl module. If you're luckly, he'll have a diagram showing the module and where it plugs in on the vehicle. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Yeah...hey this thing reads like a VCR manual. :D

FOG LAMP OPERATION
The fog lamp switch is built into the combination switch. The lighting switch must be in the 2ND position or AUTO position (LOW beam is ON) and the fog lamp switch must be ON for fog lamp operation. With the fog lamp switch in the ON position, the CPU (central processing unit) of the IPDM E/R (intelligent power distribution module engine room) grounds the coil side of the fog lamp relay. The fog lamp relay then directs power

through IPDM E/R terminal 32
 to front fog lamp LH terminal 1
 through IPDM E/R terminal 29
 to front fog lamp RH terminal 1

Ground is supplied
 to front fog lamp LH terminal 2
 through grounds E13, E26 and E28, and
 to front fog lamp RH terminal 2
 through grounds E13, E26 and E28.

With power and grounds supplied, the front fog lamps illuminate.

DAYTIME LIGHT OPERATION
With the engine running, the lighting switch in the OFF or 1ST position and parking brake released, power is supplied

through IPDM E/R terminal 32
 to front fog lamp LH terminal 1
 through IPDM E/R terminal 29
 to front fog lamp RH terminal 1.

Ground is supplied

to front fog lamp LH terminal 2
 through grounds E13, E26 and E28, and
 to front fog lamp RH terminal 2
 through grounds E13, E26 and E28.

With power and grounds supplied, the front fog lamps illuminate.

System Description
During a ran, when the engine which makes fog lamp turn on has started and parking brake is detached, foglamp turns do daytime light system for the Canada vehicle, and the light is put out at the of operating parking brake, and the of lighting switch 2ND position or the lighting switch AUTO (at the time of headlamp lighting). ON/OFF of fog lamp switch is followed at the time of lighting switch 2ND position, and it is turned on and switched off.
An parking brake signal and engine ran or stop signal are sent to BCM (body control module) by CAN communication line, and control daytime light system.

CAUTION:
If an ignition switch is turned ON within several seconds in OFF from the ignition switch ON in the state of daytime light system lighting, daytime light system which put out the light once OFF form the ignition switch ON will relight up for about 2 seconds. In the state where the parking brake is not operated, if cranking time is extremely short daytime light system will light up for about 2 seconds.

OUTLINE
Power is supplied at all times
 through 15A fuse [No. 72, located in the IPDM E/R (intelligent power distribution module engine room)]

to front fog lamp relay, located in the IPDM E/R (intelligent power distribution module engine room), and

through 15A fuse [No. 73, located in the IPDM E/R (intelligent power distribution module engine room)]

to CPU (central processing unit) in the IPDM E/R (intelligent power distribution module engine room)

etc etc...will look at schematics next.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
The relay for the fogs is built into the Intelligent Power Distribution Module (IPDM). And the IPDM is connected to the CAN. It's possible the IPDM is different for Canada but more likely either the BCM or ECU determines it. An easy way to do this isn't jumping out at me right now and the only reference in the lighting section to Canada is the one posted above.

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
It's probably just a software option somewhere, or a jumper in a board. Just like having the Odometer in Km...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Thanks Enforc - I was hoping for something in English, like jump switch 1&2 or flash the module with.........

Oh well I guess I have to do them the old fashion way with the switch.
I just wish our MO had an auto off function like my Spyder.
Then you can leave the switch on & have them go off without touching it again.:cool:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
LOL!

Well...yeah I know the feeling. There just doesn't appear to be an easy way to do it. Like Jaak says, probably just a trace or jumper on a board, I just don't feel like tearing it apart...assuming it can be, and shorting something out on my brand news $30K+ baby.

But there is a way to do it. Would require the installation of a separate relay widely available at radio shack and four wires.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Enforc - I may do what I saw over on the Spyder board.
Someone just cut the power leads to the fogs & then ran a new wire up to the parking light power lines & spliced into them.
Thus when you turned on the parking lights the fogs also come on. :cool:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anybody know how one would go about reversing the wires for OFF - AUTO settings on the light stalk? (Hopefully not in the stalk itself, but under the dash somewhere).

In my opinion the AUTO setting should be the first position, then OFF. Reason being the manual states that the HID's last longer if you don't switch on and off quickly.

If one elects not to use the AUTO lights feature, then one must go from OFF to AUTO (which turns the lights on if it's dark) to PARK (which will turn lights off again) to HEADLIGHTS (Lights back on again).

Doesn't make sense as to why the people at NISSAN did it this way.

·
4,664 Posts
What we need to do is get a Canadian and American to meet and try swapping the modules to see if the fogs change their characteristics.

If it works, you could just buy the Canadian version and plug it in. If it doesn't, then it's a controller elsewhere that's telling it what to do over the bus.

·
Registered
443 Posts
jetnbye said:

In my opinion the AUTO setting should be the first position, then OFF. Reason being the manual states that the HID's last longer if you don't switch on and off quickly.
I totally agree. HIDs should not be flipped on and off. The Auto switch therefore brings about 2 problems in this regard. The first is the one you mentioned. The second is that AUTO will toggle the HIDs when you go through a short tunnel or under a bridge or in your own garage.

I solved this problem by covering up the light sensor (subtly, with some charcoal colored packing tape) and use the 'auto' position as an on off. It still means that if I want low beams only, I have to go past 'auto' (so HIDs go on). But, honestly, how often do you need just low beams? You shouldn't really drive with only lows, and HIDs draw so little current you could leave them on for quite some time with the car parked.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

Has anyone played with the sensitivity setting for the auto setting? You have 3 settings to choose from, 1, 2 or 3. Which one needs more darkness to turn on the lights?

·
Registered
275 Posts
If I leave my lights in the "on" position, they go off a little bit after I leave the car and lock it...

Wouldn't that be like DRLs?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't believe the lights will turn off in the "ON" posistion. If you have it in "AUTO" they will turn off automatically, but I believe the ON stays on. It could have some battery run-down feature but I've never tried it. If you notice when you turn the ignition off and the lights are in the AUTO mode, no chime is present when the driver's door opens. However, in ON mode, the reminder chime starts when the driver's door opens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts