Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a photo of my very muddy Murano at the Arctic Circle Crossing on the Dempster Highway, Yukon Territory, Canada. Halfway through a 8000km(5000 mile) trip this summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cool pic!

Uh, may be this is a stupid question coming from a guy who lives in Hawaii (and the furthest North that I've ever traveled was S. Dakota in the summer), but where's the snow and ice that I would have expected at the arctic circle all year round?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Above the arctic circle, there is sun half the year (even at night) and darkness half the year (even during the day). During N.A. summer, the arctic circle is sunny, and at the lower latitudes, above freezing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hwn Murano, that isn't a stupid question at all! Arctic Summers are short in duration (May to August)but have very long hours of sunshine at high latitudes. This photo was taken about 12 days ago, the daytime temp (an overcast day) was about 72 degrees, dropping to around 40-45 degrees at night. Earlier this summer, they had long stretches of hot weather, 90+ during the day. For some reason (clearer air?) the sun is very intense. There is virtual 24 hour daylight for a few weeks around the summer solstice(June 21). In winter there is nearly 24 hour darkness for a few weeks on either side of Dec. 21. It will be cool and perhaps snowing early in Sept, snow to stay on the ground by the end of Sept., remaining until late April/early May.

This photo was taken about 500 kilometers from pavement. The Arctic Circle is about 70 kilometers from Fort MacPherson, in the tundra with the Richardson mountains in the background. The scenery is stark, colourful, wonderful and surreal. This highway is called the Dempster, it goes between Dawson City Yukon and Inuvik, Northwest Territories, is one of my favorite places on the planet. In about two weeks this area is the scene of a major annual caribou migration, an amazing sight if you ever get the chance.

·
4,664 Posts
Wow, that's pretty cool. Especially on Dec 21st... Looks like somewhere I need to go, on my list of places.

Did you carry a spare Alternator?;)

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Jaak, not the question is how difficult is it to

replace alternator while on the road, with no or minimum access to power tools. (Only hand tools like pliers, screwdrivers and some socket drivers). Is it doable?

·
4,664 Posts
Not a bad question, as I've seen posts that suggest otherwise.

Time to dig into the service manual again.

I'll do that before I go to the Artic Circle!

Bruno, if you have more pictures from up there, I'd love to see them! They don't even have to have a Murano in them!:D

·
Registered
746 Posts
Already checked this. According to my Nissan mechanic friend, this is not an easy job as the alternator is very well hidden with access only underneath.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jaak:No spare alternator on board!

But my Murano does have a full size spare, which is a prerequisite on this particular highway, which has a reputation for shredding tires. One stretch, which by coincidence is the area of the Arctic Circle, is surfaced with a black gravel/rock which can be very sharp. There is nowhere to buy 18" tires, they are hard enough to find in the cities much less way up North.

Here are a couple of non-Murano photos.

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
Wow, just stunning... And those are only pictures!

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Breathtaking....amazing scenery!

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Is it just me, or does the MO look even better with some dirt on it like in the first picture? Very cool. Makes it look like you were having some fun with it! :roadtrip:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Sorry to comment so late but WOW!
OUTSTANDING!
We appreciate the pics.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd like to drive over those rocks and park MO smack dab in the middle of that field...
Well, I really hope you wouldn't consider doing that Cryogenix. The terrain is tundra, very fragile ecosystem. The area in the pics is a major caribou migration path. Tire tracks create erosion to a remarkable degree on tundra, erosion destroys food sources , and.... the area in the pics is a major caribou migration path.
Ripping it up with 4x4s is really frowned on by the locals, the caribou are a food source for them. It's also illegal. Perhaps the Mo would look equally good in the middle of a field elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I spent some time at the end of the aleutian chain on a island that had lots of spooky construction going on...it is amazing to be able to pick up a chunk of permafrosted tundra 6 feet in diameter. We had fights with them--was crazy!

:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts