Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am afraid to say that I have firsthand experienced the crashworthiness of the Murano. Vehicle was about 9 months old, 20,000 miles. I was driving straight towards a light at about 15MPH when a full size 4x4 truck made a U-turn in front of me. I braked and steered away but he never saw me and drove right into my front corner. I didn't have enough speed to maneuver and I think I might of actually even come to a stop before impact. No airbags were deployed. Don't have an estimate on the damage yet. I got hit hard. My chest was bruised pretty bad (from the seat belt) and was sore for days. My neck was sore the following day and remains sore although the X-rays came back ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
:mad: :( :mad: :3:

That sucks!

I hope your MO can be restored to its former glory...

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Glad you are ok.... (more)

Better get those neck and chest-pain check again. X ray will say ok, but perhaps there is a blood cloths somewhere, visit an internist perhas? Does your chain hurt when you inhale/exhale deeply? Does it hurt when you drew breath?

Anyway, during a crash, murano is being said to 'sacrifice' itself. But 15MPH crash yielding such damages, that one heck of 'sacrifice'.

Keep us posted on the estimates from the insurance will you?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SugarRush,

>Better get those neck and chest-pain check again. X ray will
>say ok....

Once I get off the muscle relaxer & Ibuprofen, I'll give it a few days to be drug free and see how I feel. Will return for another check if pain persists.

Yes, my chest hurt very much when I took a deep breath in. Feels just about normal now though. The accident was at 4:15 PM on Thursday.

>Anyway, during a crash, murano is being said to 'sacrifice' itself.
>But 15MPH crash yielding such damages, that one heck
>of 'sacrifice'.

I was doing about 15 when I saw the truck. I was practically stopped when the truck hit me. I might have even been stopped - don't remember, it happened very quickly. I couldn't estimate the truck's speed on impact. Couldn't have been too high since he was making a 180.

>Keep us posted on the estimates from the insurance will you?

I absolutely will.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
thank goodness the impact wasnt about two feet further back on your car.....

you prolly have some deep bruising, or the like..... that will take time (seatbelts do work, i too know)

as far as the car goes.... im betting itsa loss (not sure you wanna hear that or not), but sometimes its better NOT to get the thing back (i had over 14K in damage to my 01 trooper 4x4, they fixed it!!....it was horrid ever since then, and took almost four months to repair)

best of luck in healing.....

was everyone else okay??

ES

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>thank goodness the impact wasnt about two feet further
>back on your car.....

That's exactly where it would have been had I not taken evasive action. Thank goodness for that emergency/defensive driving class I had to take through the fire department.

>as far as the car goes.... im betting itsa loss (not sure you
>wanna hear that or not), but sometimes its better NOT to
>get the thing back

That's exactly what I want to hear. I don't want it back. I'm afraid of a lousy paint job, alignment issues, hidden damage, etc. If it's not a loss, I will probably trade it in once it's fixed. Probably will get the same thing although I did look at the FX35 the other day. :)

>best of luck in healing.....

Thanks ES and thanks for the reminder - time for my medications.

>was everyone else okay??

No other occupants in my vehicle. The two guys in the truck walked/drove away with minimal damage. They were not hurt at all.

Jeff

·
5,268 Posts
Probably will get the same thing although I did look at the FX35 the other day. :)
look at my signature:D

·
4,664 Posts
Glad to hear you're relatively OK....

U Turns are not a good idea in traffic. I'm amazed at how many times I see people do them with no respect for other drivers. It's a often a result of being incredibly stupid, lazy and selfish. :3:

It really doesn't take much to just go around the block, most of the time....

I'm surprised the other driver didn't suffer from being slapped upside the head, but I suppose you can get your lawyer to assist there.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Re: Glad you are ok.... (more)

SugarRushMurano said:
Anyway, during a crash, murano is being said to 'sacrifice' itself. But 15MPH crash yielding such damages, that one heck of 'sacrifice'.
That is what lawsuits and crash tests have done to automobiles. Cars used to be like tanks, but people got hurt more. Now people don't get as hurt, but the repair costs are much higher. The car can't sue you, but the owner can.

The big thing now is that the Insurance companies want cars to keep people safe in offset crashes, but minimal car repair in low speed crashes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
ekaxel said:
Shouldn't the airbag have deployed?
Not always the case. If the impact if offset enough and the speed is low enough, then they won't deploy because they would do more harm than good. That is why it is important to wear your seatbelt.

I'm glad your OK jsturg.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update -

The insurance companies are still battling even though it seems like a no-brainer to me. Seems this would be addressed in a right-of-way 101 class. This is getting old. I did just get a call from Nissan. They are passing $6,000 now on their estimate. Probably won't go significantly higher (like not over 10 and it obviously won't be totalled). At least 2.5 weeks for the repair. I never looked at the passenger side but apparently the hood messed up the front quarter panel over there as it buckled.
So far:
All exterior metal/plastic forward of the front door replaced
headlight assembly
radiator support arm
air filter box
lower control arm
bunch of wiring harnesses
alignment

Frustrated...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts