Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
it looks painful but the website that is hosting it is a rock radio station in Florida, I would not put much credit to it....

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
A test??? Driver not wearing a seatbelt. I didn't see the airbag deploy (went back, maybe it did!). What were they testing - the driver or the car?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vehicle rolls over, you can see by the way his legs end up.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
That was a Murano? How can you tell?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Looks like the guy fell asleep at the wheel. Look closely and you'll see him shutting his eyes. Sounded like he hit something and was spun out of control. I also agree it looks like a rollover given the dynamics of his being tossed around the vehicle. Hard to tell if its a Murano. Doesn't look like the interior of one (i.e., rear seat head rests missing - front seat headrests appear too round - just a guess though).

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
There are 2 things I have to point out in the video:
That's definitely not a Murano, and that's definitely gotta hurt!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Ok I know it is definitely not a Murano. Look at the roof of the vehicle in the cargo area. No third seatbelt reel/retainer. At first I was fooled by the SUV-like interior and the large grab handles, but now I know its not a Murano. And yeah, its a rollover since you can see the passenger side cave in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It also looks like his head is outside the car, the side that is on the ground.:27:

I would have to say he is either dead or was very close to it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Something I find "phoney" about the video is when the driver opens his eyes to find out he is in some difficulty, he doesn't place his right hand on steering wheel....this would be a natural reaction to regain control??

·
Registered
33 Posts
To the best of my knowledge that video is real. Delivery vehicles have video cameras in them for crash investigations and such. It is not a murano, it may some kind of older station wagon type vehicle. Possibly one of the early minivan/station wagon crossovers which were out in the mid to late 80s. It does not have any 3-point seatbelts in the back, so it is doubtful that it has airbags. I base this that 3 point seatbelts for rear seat, outboard positions were in many cars before airbags were for the driver. Also, the airbag may not have gone if if equipped since airbag systems are linked to seatbelt sensors and some (not sure about all) will not go off if the seat belt is not on because those sensors will not be tripped by the accident. There a many sensors that work together for your airbag system.

If you pay attention, he is using his right arm to try to keep from falling out of the seat. Without a seat belt on, there was nothing to hold him to the seat so he couldn't have stayed in the seat at all if he was holding onto only the steering wheel since I would guess that he would not have had enough leverage. If he had been wearing his seatbelt, it would have locked up, holding him in place (as I'm sure most of your realize). This would have allowed him to remain in place with both hands on the wheel, possible allowing him to keep enough control to stay on the road and not roll over, but it looks like he also fell asleep so he shouldn't have been driving that day anyway.

Anyone actually listen to the radio station that posted this? Maybe they had talked about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
btw

The camera used in the video appear to be manufactured by Drive Cam (www.drivecam.com) which sells mirror mounted video and audio recorders with accelerometers. This video seems pretty valid from what I can find so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Baoh said:
Also, the airbag may not have gone if if equipped since airbag systems are linked to seatbelt sensors and some (not sure about all) will not go off if the seat belt is not on because those sensors will not be tripped by the accident. There a many sensors that work together for your airbag system.
I haven't actually watched the video- I didn't need to see somebody do something stupid (no, I don't watch those "home video" TV shows either).

However, airbags in US cars should deploy even if the seatbelt isn't fastened. Heck, the driver's side airbag in any car shouldn't be supressed at all. But back to US airbags- they're designed to protect even an unbelted occupant. That's why early airbags deployed so forcefully and probably caused quite a few injuries (yeah fewer than the number of lives saved) especially in relatively low-speed crashes.

No, given this example, airbags should not be and are not linked to the seatbelt sensor. If the manufacturer wants to supress the airbag deployment they have to find another way of determining if the seat is not occupied (weight sensor, IR, brainwaves, whatever) It cannot depend on the occupant to inform the car that he is there.

As a complete aside, remember back in the 70's, some cars were made so that they couldn't start unless the driver's seatbelt was used? My friend's didn't require that it be latched, but the belt at least had to be pulled out a foot or so. That ended quite abruptly when people trying to get away from an attacker either couldn't remember to fasten the belt or didn't have enough time to in such an emergency situation.

I believe that for this reason (or numerous others), New Mexico's proposed law for a breath analyzer on all new cars sold by 2008 will fail.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=4377328

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The airbag deploys when crash sensors mounted on the forward frame or front bumper detects an impact above a certain force. The force threshold is to prevent the airbag from deploying in a minor fender bender. So I tend to agree with the previous post that the airbag is not related to the seatbelt. In the Murano however, the front seatbelts have a pretensioner feature which automatically tightens the seatbelt (not just lock it) if a sudden decelleration is experienced.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Please note that I said some airbags will not go off if the seatbelt sensors are not tripped. I remember a car tech explaining the whole computer for one particular brand of cars and he stated that it was part of the system. It had to do with the airbags not actually doing their job if the seatbelt was not also worn and possibly being less safe. I have never heard that an airbag is designed to protect unbelted occupants in a crash and every owners manual I am familiar with states that you need to wear your seatbelt as the the airbag alone is not enough.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Another variable to allow air bag deployment is vehicle speed....speedometer must read minimum of 10mph before air bag "pops"...

·
Registered
13 Posts
senza said:
Another variable to allow air bag deployment is vehicle speed....speedometer must read minimum of 10mph before air bag "pops"...
I work with someone who used to work in the airbag industry and so I know more than I'd like about airbags and sensors. Airbags are (or were) relatively ignorant of speed. Okay, they record that information when they deploy, but since they cannot know how fast the vehicle crashing into you is going, they cannot assume that if the wheels are not turning that it's a slow speed crash- that's what the impact sensors are for.

Likewise, if you've locked up your wheels (assume no ABS- more cars have airbags than have ABS) and crashed, do you want your airbags to be speedometer dependent?

Regarding not wearing seatbelts and airbag deployment- from an early NHTSA standard,
A vehicle must meet specified injury criteria measured on a test dummy in a thirty mile per hour barrier crash test. The standard is based on protecting a 165-pound man of medium height who is not wearing a seatbelt and who is involved in a frontal collision.
Emphasis mine.
This is quote is found hidden a page or two down this document http://law.wustl.edu/WULQ/75-4/754-7.html Full links are in the article. Pretty interesting history from what I've read on the site.

So, older airbags deploy harder than they need to for a belted passenger. Newer dual stage bags can deploy softer at lighter impacts if the seatbelt is fastened, but it cannot assume just from the seatbelt whether or not to deploy the airbag, just how hard to deploy it.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Remember the standard was attempting to calculate the average occupant, not the average male.
Reckon they should have said so.

Homer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts