Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened twice in the past month. Each time I would get in, put the key in, turn and nothing. I would see a flash on the LCD screen but nothing more after. No cranking, no power to any of the devices.

Both times I popped the hood to see if the battery connector was knocked off or something stupid. After that both times I could at least start using the remote to lock/unlock the doors. Both times I had to do this 2x and then I could start the car again.

After I start the car the clock, trip computer, mileage thing and radio presets would all be gone.

I called the dealership and they told me it would be like finding a needle in a hay stack. They told me to have it towed to their dealership next time it happens. Anyone see this problem before? Any ideas what could be causing this? An intermittent short? It's completely stock, no after market electronics.

Thanks,
Peter

-------------------------------
2004 SL

·
Registered
842 Posts
It certainley sounds like a short in your electrical system and I agree with what your dealership told you that it is like searching for a needle in a hay stack. With electrical shorts, unless it stays on it, will not show up on a meter.

I have one question though, do you notice that this happens after a rain shower or high that normal humidity. If it does it could be something in the engine bay. It also could be a pinched wire or a crack in your printed circuits at the solder points. Hope that you can find that gremlin soon.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Odd.... maybe someone will prove me wrong but I don't recall hearing about anything like that previously in this forum. Perhaps check all fuses including the master fuses to ensure that are properly seated and contacts do not have corrision.

Good luck and keep us posted on your hopeful solution.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
sampeeko
How does the car crank when it finally decides to do so? Does it seem like it is low on juice (slower crank than usual) or it feels normal?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first time it happened I think it was a little warm, but I don't remember it being humid. It had been parked for about 30 mins. Got in the car and nothing.

The second time was this Saturday evening. It was drizzling and perhaps a little humid. I remember I pulled up to the gas station, left the key in the car with the radio on for the others in the car. The A/C and fan was probably on too as I was using it to defog the windows a bit. I got back in and tried starting it and everything died.

Maybe the act of popping the hood "shook" something back in place.

Funny, I just want the thing to die so I can get to the bottom of it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zebelkhan said:
sampeeko
How does the car crank when it finally decides to do so? Does it seem like it is low on juice (slower crank than usual) or it feels normal?

Car just cranks up normal....no delays and no extra cranks or anything like that. If it weren't for the fact I have to set the clock and radio presets again you wouldn't even know something went wrong.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
There is only a couple of different ways the car can lose total power, and that seems to be the case here because you lose preset memories consistant with such power loss. The only two places it could happen would be through the battery terminal (including the fusable link), and/or low battery protection module.

What do you excatly do when you pop the hood? Do you just look at the battery terminal to see if it is off, or do you actually grab them both (+ and -) and try to move them?

Did you have any recent work done on your car when they might have removed your ground battery strap? Did you install anything that took power from the positive side of the battery?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Remove your battery terminals and clean them.
If you lost all your settings, that indicates that the battery voltage dropped below about 8 volts.
Could very well be your battery going...
When it is dead, checking on the battery post and on the terminal clamp with a voltmeter will probably aswer the question

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought the car last september brand new so the batt is only 9 months old. When I popped the hood I just looked. Everything looks tight though.

I did my first oil change at the dealer back in April. Had the first problem in May sometime. They did try and fix some rattles from the A-pillar and replaced the passenger front window seal (window rattle - which it still does :-(). They also were trying to fix a a loud creak from the driver's seat. The mechanic said he took the seat apart and sprayed it with lubricant - creak was still there though. Possible a wire was pinched inside the A-pillar?? Something shorted in the power seat?

Thanks,
Peter

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
It sounds like a loose battery cable. The fact you lose your radio presets shows that you are losing your connection to the battery. Its possible its a short, but lets try the easy fixes first. I would remove and clean both terminals and connectors and apply a coat of anticorrosive lithium grease before reinstalling.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Eric L. said:
It sounds like a loose battery cable. The fact you lose your radio presets shows that you are losing your connection to the battery. Its possible its a short, but lets try the easy fixes first. I would remove and clean both terminals and connectors and apply a coat of anticorrosive lithium grease before reinstalling.
I totally agree. My guess is the negative (ground) battery terminal which they might have removed when they did the work on the seat.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Basic electricity: A "short" would drain your battery, blow a fuse, or start a fire. Since none of those happened. it is more likely an "open circuit", probably around the battery connections as discussed above.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool! Thanks to all for some ideas on where to start looking. I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

If it is a loose connector...maybe I better look for a new dealership to service at. At least they got the oil change right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Checked the batt last night. The + terminal was loose. I could wiggle the connector all over the place. I could turn the nut with my fingers if I wanted to so it looks like it wasn't tightened probably after my last service. I tightened it up and now it doesn't move at all.

Keeping my fingers crossed that's what was causing the problem!

Thanks,
Peter

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
sampeeko said:
Checked the batt last night. The + terminal was loose. I could wiggle the connector all over the place. I could turn the nut with my fingers if I wanted to so it looks like it wasn't tightened probably after my last service. I tightened it up and now it doesn't move at all.

Keeping my fingers crossed that's what was causing the problem!

Thanks,
Peter
The loose battery terminal and the symptoms you had described did go hand in hand. So I am sure the problem is solved. It would have been a good idea to clean (brush) the inside of the terminal to get rid of possible corrosion due to arcing. But as long as it works, you are good to go. :)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Great to hear. Sounds like you found the problem and fixed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
See thread regarding alternator failure

Be careful. Loaned my car to a friend a few months ago. The car wouldn't start up. After waiting a while it did start. Just yesterday my mom was driving and the car slowed down and then cut off. The problem is the alternator. If you keep driving it the alternator may drain your battery. Alternator failure is a common problem (as I quickly learned) in all Murano model years.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: See thread regarding alternator failure

ceejaynoles said:
Be careful. Loaned my car to a friend a few months ago. The car wouldn't start up. After waiting a while it did start. Just yesterday my mom was driving and the car slowed down and then cut off. The problem is the alternator. If you keep driving it the alternator may drain your battery. Alternator failure is a common problem (as I quickly learned) in all Murano model years.
See the alternator posts on the Problems section of this message board for more details. Yes, the alternator is a major problem. Did your warning lights (battery and brake) come on prior to failure?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: See thread regarding alternator failure

Eric L. said:

See the alternator posts on the Problems section of this message board for more details. Yes, the alternator is a major problem. Did your warning lights (battery and brake) come on prior to failure?

No lights came on. Each time the car was parked when this happened. I would get in, try and start the car and nothing. I have not had it die on the road (which is not a comforting thought).

I'm hoping it's the batt connection!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Re: Re: See thread regarding alternator failure

sampeeko said:

No lights came on. Each time the car was parked when this happened. I would get in, try and start the car and nothing. I have not had it die on the road (which is not a comforting thought).

I'm hoping it's the batt connection!
I'm pretty certain you fixed your problem and it wasn't the alternator. I was replying to the other post here about the battery running down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts