Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every site for a particular vehicle needs a FAQ. Here is the start of one for the 2003 Nissan Murano. Please modify/add.

Q How much does it cost (US)?

A As of July 2003, the base model MSRP is $28,199 while the fully loaded (SE/AWD with all options less chrome wheels and GPS NAV) is $36,731. The GPS NAV is $1999 and the Chrome wheels are $1300. So the price range of a Murano is anywhere from $28,000-$40,000. Also, the difference between the Front Wheel Drive (FWD) and All Wheel Drive (AWD) is less than $2000. It is common at this time to get deals on the MO for less than invoice, even when the dealer adds a sticker next to the original window sticker that says + $695 Market Adjustment Value.

Q Are there any problems?

A There have been a few nuisance complaints about rattles and some people have reported hesitation after long drives but it corrects after turning off the ignition, cup holders are too big, there have been some short circuits in the BCM harness, alignment off from factory, etc. All in all, very few and minor quality problems. No problems that require design changes for 04 have surfaced. And there is cabin wind buffeting when the rear windows are down.

Q What are the changes for 2004 models?

A Changes for 04 include a 10-way power driver seat instead of the 8-way on 2003 models. The added two ways will be a power lumbar instead of manual lumbar. There will be an addition of a Touring package, contents unknown. The 2004 model will also have a +/- slide on the gear shift where the fixed positions of S and L are located.

Q Where is the Murano produced?

A The 2003 Murano is produced in Japan (Kyushu). The VIN decoder is listed below. There is a rumor that the 2004 Murano will be produced in Canton, Mississippi but this has not been confirmed. What has been confirmed from a Nissan Press release is that the Titan and Quest will be manufactured in Canton.

Murano VIN: JN8AZ08T*3WXXXXXX

JN8: Vehicle Type, in this case JN8=Multipurpose Vehicle

A: Engine Type, in this case A=VQ35DE

Z: Vehicle Line, in this case Z = Z50

0: Model Change, in this case zero

8: Body Type, in this case 8 = 4 door wagon

T: Wheel Drive, T=2 wheel drive, W=all wheel drive

*: Check digit

3: Model year, 3=2003

W: Manufacturing Plant, in this case W=Kyushu

XXXXXX: Serial Number

Q How reliable is the CVT?

A The Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) in the Mo is manufactured by JATCO. CVTs have been in use on commercial Nissan vehicles sold in other countries for several years. In addition, CVT technology have been used on other vehicles sold in the US for quite a while. The CVT uses special transmission fluid.

Q How does the CVT work?

A The CVT on the Murano uses a segmented reinforced steel belt and conical pulleys that provide smooth power transfer to the drive train without the abruptness of automatic transmissions that use gears. The best explanation is the Murano does not "gear-hunt" when driving up steep inclines such as mountain roads. The Nissandriven website has an interactive guide on how this technological marvel works. Nissan claims a 10% increase in fuel economy, presumably due to the absence of shifting gears. To many, the CVT is incredibly smooth. Once you drive one, you won't believe it. It is a totally different feeling.

Q What is the gas mileage?

A 20 City, 25(4 for AWD) Highway. This is on a broken-in engine (5000miles+) using premium 91 octane or higher fuel. Expect to get lower mileage until the engine is broken in.

Q Do you have to use Premium fuel?

A Technically no, the engine has a knock sensor that the computer monitors and will retard timing to prevent damage from knock. With that said, the best fuel economy and performance will be accomplished if you run 91 octane+. The engine is the same used in the 350Z, namely the VQ35DE and it has a Compression Ratio (CR) of 10.3 to 1. This is considered a high compression ratio engine which typically requires High Octane fuel.

Q The cupholders are too big, how do you solve this?

A There is a little flap attached to the bottom of the door that covers the front cupholders. Look closely and you will see it. Also, there is a removable tray in the cupholder closest to the driver. That removable tray is reversible. It allows for deeper cups and a cell phone. There is writing on it that explains what it is used for. IF these do not work, you can line the inside of the cupholders with foam or non-skid material.

Q Does the Murano come with a full sized spare tire?

A Only the vehicles sold in Canada have full sized spares. All others have a smaller spare tire. On models equipped with the Bose sound system, the woofer is located inside the spare tire.

Q Why does my audio volume go up and down when I drive?

A Models equipped with the Bose sound system have speed sensitive volume control.

Q Can the Murano really hold 60 CDs?

A This is a claim be some sales people. Purportedly, the center console under the armrest has a liner that can be removed. If you remove the liner, you can place 60 CD's in it. Vehicles equipped with the Bose sound system can hold 6 CD's in the dash.

Q How can I get the Service Manual for the Murano?

A The service manual is available from Nissan Technical Info website.

Q How is the Sun Roof wind noise?

A The buffeting inside the cab is pronouncedly reduced, even eliminated with the installation of the Nissan Sun Roof wind deflector. The Sun Roof has a position selector switch. The next to the last position is the last position before cabin buffeting significantly occurs with the Sun Roof wind deflector installed.

Q. How is the Window wind noise?

A Rolling down the front windows doesn't seem to provide a lot of buffeting inside the cabin. However rolling down the rear windows results in buffeting.

Q What is Scotch Cal or Clear Guard and how well does it work?

A Clear bra's do not harm the paint, help prevent paint chips from stones and other road debris and stay on permanently until removed. Some materials are better than others for anti-yellowing. Check out Xpel for solutions.

Q How does the All Wheel Drive (AWD) Lock button work?

A The AWD lock button enables a 50% front and 50% rear torque bias at speeds under 18mph. The AWD system is engaged all the time and typically has a 75% front and 25% rear torque bias (lock off). However, the AWD system adjusts the front rear torque bias as necessary anywhere from 100:0 to 50:50. The AWD lock button is intended for those occasions where very low speed 4 wheel drive is required.

Q What is VDC and TCS?

A Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System (TCS) uses seven sensors (including "g" sensors) to monitor the vehicles stability and adjusts engine power and modulates individual brakes through the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) during severe cornering conditions.

Q How do you turn off the horn when locking from the remote?

A Hold the unlock and lock buttons on the remote at the same time for a few seconds, the headlights will flash. Use the same procedure to turn the horn back on.

Q How do you lower the windows with the remote?

A Press and hold the unlock button on the remote. The windows can be rolled up by placing the key in the drivers door handle (only handle that has key hole) and turn and hold.

Q Will the doors lock automatically?

A The doors will lock automatically if you pres the unlock button on the remote and then do not open the door or stick the key in the ignition. The doors will not automatically lock when you start moving. There is a known problem and TSB from Nissan on certain MOs that need a wiring harness/connector replaced for intermittent window and door lock autonomous activity.

Q How does the driver seat memory work?

A On the driver door, there are three buttons labeled set, 1, and 2. The Murano has two seat memory positions. Turn the ignition on, then set the seat the way you want it, then press the set button and one of the number buttons. Press the unlock button on the remote within 5 seconds and that seat will be keyed to that remote (two remotes are supplied with the car). When you remove the key, the seat will slide all the way back to default position. When you insert the key, the seat will slide to what you programmed. If you did not link the seat setting to the key/remote, simply press the 1 or 2 button on the door.

Q What is the black plastic tray thingy with screws in the left storage compartment?

A Front license plate holder. You should also find a cargo net there.

Q Why does the Murano drag when I release the gas pedal?

A The CVT acts like a manual transmission under no throttle conditions. That is it acts as an engine brake if you let off the gas. Switching to S can increase the braking effect for downhill driving.

·
5,268 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!
Great job, Enforcer. You must have a lot of spare time........;)
Keep up the good job.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Good job, Enforcer. The only glitch I see is with the Bose Audio Pilot. The MO only has Speed Sensitive Volume control, which adjusts the volume (highe ror lower) as your speed changes (higher or lower) to compensate for engine and wind noise. Sophisticated, but not as sophisticated as a little man in your radio listening to your cabin noise.. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey, Enforcer!

While you're editing, Low Octane= faster burn, High Octane= Slower. (or longer burn)
Thus the need to "retard" ignition timing to prevent detonation from low octane fuel.

Great post though! :4:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Muranizer. My memory sucks sometimes. Here is what I think I remember, check me:

Detonation is a condition that exists in the combustion chamber when the fuel/air mixture is ignited by something other then the spark of the spark plug. This can be cause by hot spots in the combustion chamber like carbon that is glowing red and igniting the mixture. Detonation occurs when the mixture is ignited by something other then the spark plug.

Spark knock occurs when the spark of the spark plug ignites the fuel/air charge in the combustion chamber sooner then it should. If the ignition is too far advanced (early spark) spark knock occurs and you can hear the engine rattling like marbles in a coffee can.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Detonation, I believe covers either "Pre ignition" (fuel ignited before spark firing) or Spark knock. (fuel ignited by ignition too soon).

Since low octane fuels burn faster, they need to be ignited when the piston is closer to top dead center. Otherwise peak pressure occurs before the piston(s) start the "downward combustion stroke", thus trying to force the piston back against crankshaft rotation. Since flywheel momentum is the greater force, It is the only reason the engine does not reverse direction during detonation.

The major advantage of high octane, is that it burns longer.
High octane is ignited sooner, so peak pressure occurs on time. Then it continues to burn, so pressure during the combustion cycle lasts longer. (More power with same amount of fuel).
High octane racing fuels burn so long, that the still burning fuel can be seen at the exhaust outlets! That cool blue fire, coupled with the sound of a screaming race motor, kinda makes me feel warm & fuzzy inside.

:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Blue/latte SL MO. I can't get the seat programmed to move with the key fob. The seat postions work with the 1 - 2 buttons. I have disabled the horn nonk, does that matter? With the key in and turned to the second position where the dash lights come on -
1) set seat position
2) press 'set' and then the 1
3) immediately press the unlock button on key fob
Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
excerpt from the operators manual:

PROCEDURE FOR STORING MEMORY - Two positions can be stored in the automatic drive positioner memory. Follow these procedures to use the memory system.

1. Set the selector lever to the P (Park) position.

2. Turn the ignition ON.

3. Adjust the driver’s seat, outside mirrors and pedals to the desired positions by manually operating each adjusting switch.

4. Push the SET switch and, within 5 seconds, push the memory switch 1 or 2 fully for at least 1 second.

The indicator light for the pushed memory switch will come on and stay on for approximately 5 seconds after pushing the switch.

After the indicator light goes off, the selected positions are stored in the selected memory (1 or 2).

Pushing the unlock button on the keyfob within this 5 seconds, will link the selected memory to the keyfob. When the link is completed, the indicator light of the selected memory switch will blink for approximately 5 seconds.

When you unlock the door with the link completed keyfob, the driver’s seat will move back and move to the memorized position. If memory is stored in the same memory switch, the previous memory and the memory which is linked to the keyfob, will be deleted.

Confirming memory storage:
Turn the ignition ON and push the SET switch. If the main memory has not been stored, the indicator light will come on for approximately 0.5 seconds. When the memory has stored the position, the indicator light will stay on for approximately 5 seconds.

·
4,664 Posts
FINALLY someone started a FAQ! Good work, this should help reduce redundant posts!:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Enforcer, my own frequently asked question is "how the hell do you choose?". If I walked up my driveway and saw those two cars, I'd be paralyzed with indecision.

If it does become frequently asked, would you also consider a FAQ on the break in period? That info you posted on FA was great.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Its interesting an octane discussion should crop up on a sticky! Anyways, I've read that octane rating determines how well the fuel resists detonation. In other words, the danger of running low octane fuel is that the fuel can ignite due to high compression. High octane fuel ignites due to compression at a higher temperature, thereby permitting higher engine compression. The general rule of thumb is that 10.0 compression ratio or above requires high octane fuel. However, since engines are computer controlled nowadays, knock sensors can sense detonation and retard timing so that detonation due to compression alone does not occur.

I personally use premium because I want the maximum performance from my engine. However, I know for a fact that if your engine is in good shape and all the electronics and knock sensor are functioning correctly, you cannot damage the engine using regular. On the Maxima BBS there are 4th generation Maximas with 200,000 miles which used regular and had zero problems. I drove a V6 Camry for over 13 years and that recommended premium but I used regular. Engine still runs like a dream.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Point taken and FAQ altered Eric. BUT...knock has to occur first, then sensed, then prevented. The computer just keeps it from reoccuring at that time and prevents severe damage from continued knock...at that time. Don't know what the time averaging is, but say 20 minutes later it can happen again. There is no octane sensor. So how much damage is caused by a short duration knock multiple times over a long period of time? I don't know, maybe trivial, but I'm fairly sure it isn't zero. But, there is a lot more going on in the combustion process related to octane than just knock. See this thread. Plus, low octane fuel was a reason for white colored spark plugs and overheating in the old days, see this website. Now I know we have computers now that monitor the O2 sensor, engine temperature, knock and adjust mixture and timing, but there is no cylinder bore temperature sensor measuring peak bore temperatures. I'm just saying that running the recommended octane leaves no doubt you will get maximum engine longevity vice lower octane.

OTOH, I don't want to start an urban legend...well not about this anyways...:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
OCTANE

I live in Canada where we have access to Mohawk ethanol blended 90 octane gas for the price of regualr. Would this be sufficient enough to run in my new Murano? Or should I pay for the 91 octane premium? Regular fuel is 87 octane and mid grade is 89 octane. I am a bit confused.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
kzazula:

other then what is stated by the manufacturer, it's mostly a personal choice. as long as you meet the minimum..

I tend to "drive" my vehicles pretty hard, and I've noticed that the 94 (Sonoco) makes a lot of difference in the way the engine feels..

I always use the premimum in all my vehicles.. my last car (before the MO) was a 95 Dodge Avenger.. not a lick of engine problems, and I ran it hard.. always on premimum.. even after 8 years, it still sounded great.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts