Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought an '04 SL 2WD about a month ago. With our 50/50 highway/street driving we've been getting only 18 MPG. I verified this by calculting the gas mileage myself. It seems that the number the MO gives on the display is a little optimistic. Anyway, I was just wondering what kind of mileage you guys are getting. Some people here are reporting 20+ MPG in comined driving, and I am wondering why we're not getting it. The MO is no Hummer, but it is still one thirsty machine compared to my late VW Golf. TIA.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Well, it's no VW Golf either.
You need to compare it to Ford explorers, etc.
It weighs 4000 pounds and has the aerodynamics of a brick.
A nice looking brick, but a brick none the less.:p

It has a tight motor and won't be completely broken in until you have at least 8-10,000 miles. Most certainly the engine stays tight for the first 4-5000 miles.

Homer

·
Registered
40 Posts
My MO just turned 10,000 miles on the odometer. I average 18 mpg around town. Highway mileage seems to be very dependent on speed. If I use a light foot and keep the speed under 65 mph, I can usually average around 24 mpg. But bump the speed up over that, the mpg starts to drop fast.

We took a trip this week from North Idaho to Seattle and back. 700 miles round trip. I got 24 mpg going over running the speed limit, got 22 mph coming home pushing the limit by 10 mph most of the way home. Pulling up Snoqualmie pass out of Seattle really kills the mpg. I usually run mid grade gas.

I came from an Audi A4 that got 30+ mpg. Though I miss that gas mileage, I love the MO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. We haven't gone any long trips yet, so I'll have to wait and see what kind of mileage we can get that way. It isn't too broken in yet either (only 700 miles on the odo.) I read in another thread that using synthetic oil greatly improves mileage. Is this true?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
buttfish77 said:
Thanks guys. We haven't gone any long trips yet, so I'll have to wait and see what kind of mileage we can get that way. It isn't too broken in yet either (only 700 miles on the odo.) I read in another thread that using synthetic oil greatly improves mileage. Is this true?
From what I understand you are not supposed to switch to synthetic oil untill your motor is completely broken in, around 10k miles. That is the schedule I am following.

I have 7k miles on mine and I do mostly high speed highway driving (80+ mph). I have just started to get a consistenet 23 mpg. I used to get 22 mpg when I had only 5k miles.

Two days ago due to an accident I was stuck on the freeway and travelled a distance of 15 miles in a bit more than one and half hours, that is just shy of 10 mph. According to my computer when the road opened I had averaged 21.3 mpg. Needless to say I am very happy.

I use premium gas. I feel the higher price at the pump is justified by the better mpg I am getting at the freeway speeds.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
19.2 now at 8k miles

....and I drive the hell out of it, like it wants to be.

:22:

·
Registered
781 Posts
18 is actually pretty good with 700 miles on the odometer. Our has gotten better with time - 28K on it right now and get 18 in Chicago traffic - when we first got it we were getting 16.

We've got a road trip coming this weekend driving from Chicago to Omaha. I think we got around 22 when we drove to Florida last winter - average speed was around 74 according to the computer.

We drove 140 miles to Iowa with a headwind and the cruise set at 77-78 and got around 19. I was upset until I got outside and realized how strong the wind was.

I'd rather get 20MPG in the Murano than 50MPG in a Hybrid. :)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
16mpg? 18mpg?

I wish I got that. My daily commute is 5-6 miles each way of city driving, and I average around 15.5mpg. I got 16.3 on a tank last week because I did not use the AC. Not great, but oh well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Altitude makes a huge difference too. I am at sea level, which will result in the worst mileage. If you drive at a few thousand feet regularly you can increase your mileage by around 5 MPG I'm willing to bet.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Eric L. said:
16mpg? 18mpg?

I wish I got that. My daily commute is 5-6 miles each way of city driving, and I average around 15.5mpg. I got 16.3 on a tank last week because I did not use the AC. Not great, but oh well.
Don't feel bad. You must be driving through heavy stop and go traffic and I think that mpg is normal in that case. I get a very good gas mileage overall. But whenever I fill up at my favorite gas station, which is about two miles away from the freeway, I have to go through 6 or 7 traffic lights that are usually red when I get to them and have to stop. My gas mileage is not more than 14 or 15 mpg for that distance. It picks up a bit if I do not have to make too many stops, and gets much better on the freeway.

·
Registered
485 Posts
GripperDon, the reason high altitude or hot weather increases MPG is *because* the motor has less power. At partial throttle it must run at larger throttle openeings to get the needed O2 which reduces pumping losses.

18 BTW ain't bad at all, I get 18-19 usuallly in my daily driving, and 22-24 on freeway only trips. Mobil1 synthetic definitly added 1MPG, and 265 Kumhos definitly removed 1MPG. I'm at 30K miles now so I'm thinking about using Redline to flush the diff fluids, that might give me another bump up.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I went to Mobil1 at 10K.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Okay, you got me on BMEP, what is that??? :p

Just generally speaking, the closer a gasoline engine runs to WOT the more efficient it is. That's why small engined cars which struggle mightily to maintain 70MPH get great mileage while cars like the Mo which has lots of power in reserve get relatively poor mileage. It's also one of the reasons Diesels are so darn efficient, they have no throttle bodies at all.

Please Nissan, give me a diesel hybrid Murano, gas prices over here are killing me... :4:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Average of 18.55 MPG on last tank of gas. Just coming up to 3000 miles. With each tank of gas the mileage has increased by about 1 - 1.5 MPG. I expect this tank to average out at around 20 or so. Mostly freeway driving at 80+ MPH. Was told with breaking the Murano in with freeway driving and continuing to do mostly freeway driving can expect close to 30 or even more MPG. ( I don't know if I beleive that.) I'll let you all know.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hm, I've always heard the opposite, you want nothing consistant in your break-in like freeway driving. First 1K miles I did on surface streets, literally, and didn't touch the cruise until the first oil change at 3K'ish miles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
MightyMo said:
Hm, I've always heard the opposite, you want nothing consistant in your break-in like freeway driving. First 1K miles I did on surface streets, literally, and didn't touch the cruise until the first oil change at 3K'ish miles.
Would be unavoidable anyways. I drive to another city for work. I'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I remember reading in the Murano owner's manual to not do extended freeway driving at the same RPM. I make sure on every road trip to vary the speed and RPM whenever the opportunity is given :) I love toll booths aka mini drag strip.

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
GMTURBO, are you saying you STILL vary your speed on road trips? I read that same statement, but it was only pertaining to the break-in period, IIRC. Driving an '03, I think you're safe now :) For the folks who know Jersey, I used to take Route 1 from Newark to Pennsylvania instead of the turnpike during break-in just to vary the speed. No better road than that for going 80 from red light to red light ;)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Hehe yeah varying engine speed is only for during the break in period.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts