Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 Murano SL has a leak. We had a really rainy day here and when I got out of work I had rain dripping out of one of the seatbelt. The drivers side rear had a water mark from above the window all the way back. the carpets in back seat are soaked. The problem now is that the dealership "can't find or duplicate the leak..... has anyone else had a similar problem??? I don't think a new car should leak as this one did!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Do you have a moon roof? If so, most likely a drain hose has become disconnected or clogged...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a moon roof? If so, most likely a drain hose has become disconnected or clogged...
They still have the vehicle. Yes it does have the full panoramic roof. The dealership is taking the headliner down to look around, I have a suspicion it might be the rear hatch window and that might be why they did not find it just running water over the roof. Wish me luck as I'm not impressed that a brand new vehicle would leak like this one has. If it is the drain hose that has become disconnected . . there seems to be a lot of reports of that and maybe Nissan needs to come up with a better design!

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
54 Posts
It's the moon roof. I have a 2018 SL without the moon roof, but a friend who winters in Florida has an '18 with a moon roof and in a hard rain, with the nose of the car angled up in the driveway, his rear area filled up with water. The dealer in Florida checked everything and did not find a problem, but removed the bug screens from the drain hoses to increase volume. Not sure if I think this is a good idea. The whole moonroof drainage system seems pretty flimsy to me and I'm glad I don't have a moonroof...

Moon roof drains seem to be a problem with many brands and models, with problems including plugged hoses, or hoses internally draining into closed body sections and causing rust.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It sounds like it's still under warranty. If the dealer can't fix it take it to another dealer. You don't have to take your car to where you bought it for warranty work. It's a Nissan warranty not a dealer warranty. If the drain hoses are plugged it's not a design problem as the hoses need to simply be cleaned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like it's still under warranty. If the dealer can't fix it take it to another dealer. You don't have to take your car to where you bought it for warranty work. It's a Nissan warranty not a dealer warranty. If the drain hoses are plugged it's not a design problem as the hoses need to simply be cleaned.
Yes if this dealer doesn't figure it out I will be taking it to another! I really liked the dealership I bought it at, but was frustrated when I left yesterday. They couldn't replicate the leak, so they just wanted to dry my carpets . . . . . I was not impressed. They still have the car and I'm waiting to hear about what they find when they drop the head liner.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
54 Posts
Good news that it was something as obvious as a disconnected tube. Thanks for reporting back on the resolution; make sure any other fabric that has water stains is either replaced or cleaned well enough that there is no evidence of the water damage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What was the final fix??? Or did you just get rid of your vehicle?
Mine is doing the same thing except the water keeps coming days after the rain. We’ve blown out the sunroof drains and it still does this. After reading this forum, despite my former love of my car, (not my dealer) I will never purchase another. I’ve owned 2 Ford Explorers with sunroofs and driven both for over ten years. Never has one leaked and that old 2005 is still kicking! Since I’ve had my murano, several friends and family have purchased one to include my 25 year old son. I’m shocked that this is a problem for so many. I’ve asked around and it appears to be more prominent than I ever imagined.

My 2020 Murano SL has a leak. We had a really rainy day here and when I got out of work I had rain dripping out of one of the seatbelt. The drivers side rear had a water mark from above the window all the way back. the carpets in back seat are soaked. The problem now is that the dealership "can't find or duplicate the leak..... has anyone else had a similar problem??? I don't think a new car should leak as this one did!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Is the moonroof/sunroof leaking from the glass seal on the perimeter, or the seal between glass panes? While getting my car washed, I can hear what seems to be water surging through the driver's front pillar area (which I've assumed was coming from the roof rack channels) but I feel that water would simply drain down over the windshield and not be diverted inside the metal framework of the car. Is there some kind of hole/port in the upper roof area that diverts from the roof into that pillar, or do you think it's water running along the seals around the top door edge that I'm really hearing?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
All the moonroof leaks I have read about were due to the drain tubes being clogged or disconnected. The seal around the glass movable panel is not perfect, presumably due to it having to move/pop into and out of position... So if the drain tubes that are designed to whisk this water away are compromised, water backs up and finds another path, usually into the vehicle...

The drains can become clogged due to debris coming into the moonroof area when it's opened. It's a good idea to check for this, and clean any debris found, especially if you park under trees...

·
Super Moderator
1,375 Posts
Mud wasps and other insects are know to build a nest at the bottom of the tube where it exits under the car, blocking water from draining.

From the open sunroof, feed a thin stiff, but flexible wire, or thick weed wacker string down the drains until you can see it coming out from the bottom of the car.

What I've done in the past is to add water to the channel to fill the tube with water and then use compressed air to force the water down, removing any blockages. I use an long thin air nozzle with a strip of duck tape wound around the end so it is the same size as the opening, forcing all the air down the drain tube. Do not use excessive air pressure. A solid blockage could force air pressure to pop the hose off of the drainage tube of the sunroof.

Flush with a cup of water to confirm the tube is clear.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
700 Posts
I watched a video a couple of months ago where a guy removed those drain screens to allow water to flow more freely without clogging. Sounds like a good idea in theory, but I feel doing so then allows smaller insects to crawl up into your vehicle and start nesting under the headliner. Who knows...one day a nest of 1000 cockroaches might just fall down on you while driving. I think a better solution would be to remove those small line screens and encase the drain opening with a large, basket-like screen that's more easily removable and allow more crud to buildup before things start to back up. I think I'd be likely to extend a line from the drain hole (with a basket screen thing where the drain hose would end) and into a different area under the hood that's more accessible and servicable so it can be monitored and cleaned with greater ease.

I wonder if a long, fuzzy, twisty-wire thing would be good for this application. Kind of like that plastic snake thing for sink drains. Or maybe even a length of lighter-gauge solid copper wire would work.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I watched a video a couple of months ago where a guy removed those drain screens to allow water to flow more freely without clogging. Sounds like a good idea in theory, but I feel doing so then allows smaller insects to crawl up into your vehicle and start nesting under the headliner. Who knows...one day a nest of 1000 cockroaches might just fall down on you while driving.
Some of your posts are mind-bending. You should write scripts for the SyFy Channel. The stuff you could put out would put Sharknado to shame. :):coffee:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The funny thing is, I believe he once mentioned something similar had actually happened to him, I think it was bees...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017.5 with panoramic sunroof with same issue - wet drivers carpet with water visibly splashing in during heavy rain.
With the vehicle dried and in the garage I filled the sunroof front channel with about a pint of water - flowed to the garage floor on the passenger side (exiting the body in multiple locations) but splashed into the driver side footwell.

I tried to find the drain holes using 14ga insulated wire - on the passenger side I pushed in a distance that equated to about 3” down the A pillar but on the driver side it stopped at a length equivalent to about where the A pillar meets the roof.
Does anyone know how I find if the drain hose has been disconnected behind the trim? (I am assuming if the hose was blocked all the water would go down the passenger side drain). Are there any drawings / photos / videos out there showing the components?

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL
54 Posts
I responded earlier in this thread about a friend of mine who had his '18 Murano leak during a Florida monsoon. I am thankful that my '18 SL has no sunroof :)

There are a lot of diagrams, images, and videos on the Internet if you do a search on "Nissan Murano sunroof drain tubes"...here's a diagram from this forum: https://www.nissanmurano.org/attachments/moonroof-jpg.48134/

·
Registered
700 Posts
So is that a formed/rigid nylon/plastic hose/tube they're using, or is it more flexible, like a rubber hose?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts