Votes: 25 18.7%
  • > $110,000

Votes: 62 46.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be interesting to see what is the household income distribution for Murano buyers. Hence the poll....I do not ask anybody to actually post his income ;) but just vote.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think $50k's should be enough to get a brand new MO if you have a mortgage,w/o mortgage maybe $35k's should be enough.

·
Registered
19 Posts
enamurao said:
I think $50k's should be enough to get a brand new MO if you have a mortgage,w/o mortgage maybe $35k's should be enough.
Any kind of mortgage in the area I live, you need to make at least $75k/year to afford a new Murano. Even the tiniest, oldest townhomes are going for over $400,000! A regular single family is going for over $600,000

·
Registered
400 Posts
Vrrooom said:

Any kind of mortgage in the area I live, you need to make at least $75k/year to afford a new Murano. Even the tiniest, oldest townhomes are going for over $400,000! A regular single family is going for over $600,000
Ooooh... try Southern California! In the beach areas, a townhouse (albeit a fairly nice one, but not new) can cost $800K - $1.1MM.

Bob

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! I know is too early but somehow the results are skewed to..........over $110K! Interesting...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Before I retired I made $164K and my wife made $75K.

Today I get by on <> $80K.
But I own my house, buy my cars for cash and have zero debt.

Remember, you asked for Household income.

A factory worker with a bookkeeper wife can easily draw $125K yr.

There is a reason there are so many vehicles targeted between 30-40K.

Homer

·
Registered
295 Posts
Vrrooom said:

I know what do you mean,I lived in chicago for long time and single family houses prices there for houses are 450k's and up in `decent areas and a so so old houses ,Fl is a totally different deal with 280,000 you get 3000sqf brand new full brick houses in some parts of northeast fl,some part ofNE FL you'll see mobile homes falling apart and $40k cars in driveways,
i guess all depends where you live what you do for living and how you spend the money to see if a murano can be afforded.

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Homer,
yes I am surprised. Look at the US Census Bureau data. The median household income in 2005 was $46,326. I travel a lot and meet people from different industries and different levels. The $120k you quoted is most likely myth spread by "poor" CEO's.
To prove it look at the next post..

Attachments

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Number of households in different income brackets...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Don't let "median" mess you up.
What are you, an engineer? ;)
Get a marketing buddy to explain it to you.
The Murano is not a "median" car. You are thinking Hyundai.;)

I have it on good authority that if you divided every household up in groups, the two largest representations would be in the $50/$75K range and the OVER $100K range!
OH, that's right, your figures show that.

THAT's who the TARGET AUDIENCE is....along with the ones in the $75K/$100K.
The top range, over $100K per year equals 20 MILLION households. That's where many of your Nissan Murano owners will come from as your poll shows.

So don't expect a correlation between Median Incomes and Murano ownership.
That's called aintgonnahappen.com :)

Marketeers do NOT use Median anything.
After all what kind of car would you sell that was targeted at the bottom 3 categories?
And yet they pull the Median down.
How about the next two categories?
That's why there is a Versa. Or a Sentra.

As to the $120K, it's not just figures. It's people. People that I know.
Do you know what defense workers really make? Auto makers? Chip Fab workers?

FACT: Ford Factory worker Truck plant in Arlington Texas - Average income for the last three years?
Over $100,000 per year. Some make $125,000.
Look up "job bank" and see what these guys get paid to NOT work!
(Sure the "median" factory worker makes a lot less, but that's not who Nissan has targeted. There goes that median thing again.)

Bookeeper for a fortune 1000 company ? $30K .
Head Bookeeper? Add another $5000.

A 40 year old assy line guy with 15 years married to a 35 year old Bookkeeper can easily make $125K yr. Easily.
(I'm not saying the job is easy, and it does require some overtime in most cases. But hungry men at their physical peak usually look for overtime)

Maybe you know techs that don't make that number?
so do I.
I made $75K in 1996.
Then I got smart and moved into Marketing.
I didn't get any smarted about my job. I was still a premium SNA communications dude....but.......
Almost doubled my salary the first year.
Here's the bottom line on Salaries:
It ain't what you know that counts. ;)

And what's a "household"
It's entirely possible that the ones who posted a $30K/$50K household income have a household of "one".

Also where you live has a lot to do with it.
You will make a lot more in the rust belt and both coasts than you will in the deep south.
GA, FL , LA., Miss, are not where labor makes a lot.
Why do you suppose Nissan chose Mississippi? :)

Your poll shows that Nissan is hitting their target.
Glad that you posted it.

Homer

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Homer,
You are right with median – you have to understand it. As with every “average” you need to know what is behind…..that why I included the income brackets….it tells you much more.

Factory workers income – I was very surprised a few years ago when I visited Detroit. An auto plant assembly line “operator” could get up to $100k plus all sort of bonuses! So if you are talking about these factories you are perfectly right.

I do understand marketing as in my current job (yes, I am an engineer ;) ) I do market research as well.

Back to the topic – the poll surprised me as it was Mercedes who targeted household with income >$120k with their ML series SUV. So I thought Murano owners “profile” would be slightly different. I guess I was wrong…;)

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Now you know why Arizona is near the top in growth

Great houses for low prices. You can buy very nice homes fo less than $100 per square foot, Large garages, reasonable size lots, great climate. Low taxes (except license plates)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am 21 (still live with parents) but make several different payments a month, including a loan... and credit card. I was approved for a 2003 Murano "certified" at 7.5% interest. I only bring in 16,000/yr yet I have never missed a payment on anything ever... guess not everyone has to be 30+ making more than 50k/yr??

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
darrick04 said:
I am 21 (still live with parents) but make several different payments a month, including a loan... and credit card. I was approved for a 2003 Murano "certified" at 7.5% interest. I only bring in 16,000/yr yet I have never missed a payment on anything ever... guess not everyone has to be 30+ making more than 50k/yr??
You are my kind of guy! And I thought "responsibility" was a foreign word for young these days...I guess I was wrong!:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I appreciate that.... responsibility comes with life experiences... some people choose to turn them into reasons to be wild and crazy and do nothing with a conscience. fortunately i am not one of those!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Darrick04

Hope you are kind to your parents for the $800 / mo subsidy. (my low estimate of value of living at home) That raises you salary to almost double. They are wonderful for doing it and I am glad you are acting so responsible by spending wisely. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: Darrick04

GripperDon said:
Hope you are kind to your parents for the $800 / mo subsidy. (my low estimate of value of living at home) That raises you salary to almost double. They are wonderful for doing it and I am glad you are acting so responsible by spending wisely. :)
Well my college tuition is paid in full, thanks to scholarships, and I plan on living with the parents for as long as I can (yes the time will come when I NEED to move out).. but nonetheless I have a Murano which I love... and I am the one with my name on the payment. Thanks, have a good one!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I applaud you, I started making payments on cars (albeit cheaper ones) at the age of 15 and was out of the house by 18. But I love to hear of someone learning to have to pay for thier toys themselves.

......On the original subject, I moved from S. Fla some years ago to S. Alabama, it's AMAZING how much nicer of a house, car, etc. someone can enjoy making the same salary in a different area! (Didn't hurt that I also went from a single guy in S. Fla, to happily married to a professional woman here :D )

1 - 20 of 28 Posts