Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas!

A new Viper VX791 Remote starter, installed!

The only gift for me to open, but the one that keeps on giving! Can't wait to see how it was installed and what works (and possibly doesn't work).

My 20 year old son and wife "borrowed" the Murano for alleged Christmas shopping on Thursday (all day long too) and had it installed then.

I didn't have a clue, until I opened the box last night.

No more cold seats!:2:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Keep us informed how it works. Also do you know where they got it from? Just wondering. Merry Christmas!!!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Now that is Love what a LUcky Fellow. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
36 Posts
The installs I have seen get a key programmed and then either wire tie the entire key up on the steering column or break the key open and do the same with the chip. Kinda defeats the purpose of the immobilizer...but congrats!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They take the valet key and cut the chip out of it. This is placed in a "transponder box" and buried up in the steering column so that it's close enough to the receiver to allow the car to be started if the key is also in the ignition.

Additional security is provided in that you can't drive the car without the key in the ignition, regardless of the trqansponder chip being present. Additionally, if you touch the brake pedal (like you'd have to to take it out of park) without the key in the ignition and it turned all the way to start/on, the engine dies immediately.

I guess you couold leave it unlocked, running, and without the key, no one can go anywhere (not that I'd try this)!

Only negative I noticed so far are that I still have to carry the original key fob in order to get the memory seats to function properly on exit and entry. Kind of makes the old key ring a bit on the BIG size. Not a problem in the winter with plenty of pockets but by summer I may have to try and figure out something else.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
dklanecky1 said:

Additional security is provided in that you can't drive the car without the key in the ignition, regardless of the trqansponder chip being present. Additionally, if you touch the brake pedal (like you'd have to to take it out of park) without the key in the ignition and it turned all the way to start/on, the engine dies immediately.

With the remote start, you've effectively eliminated any ignition security. The thieves have many ways to start a car without a key by using a lockpick set or a screwdriver.

That said, I could have used remote start tonight, had a very chilly drive.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
grkmpower said:
what does the keyfob have to do with the power seats? (memory seats)??
Properly programmed, when you hit the unlock button on the keyfob, your memory seats will return to your preset position. The other fob can be set in another seat position. Check your manual.

·
5,244 Posts
I guess last thing we read are manuals..............;)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
My wife wants one for her car but I refuse. I know her and she will start the car and let it idle for 15 mintues before she gets out there. Not so good for a cold engine to sit an idle.

I know most will turn the car off after a period of time but that is equally bad... starting up a cold engine, it never warms, fills with moisture and then shuts off. Yeach!

Besides she has seat warmers in her RX300... she can get warm in like 2 minutes.

·
4,994 Posts
Gonzo you are too logical, what a great chance to make points!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I know I know... I could just spend $100 and have it installed and my wife would love me... but deep inside it would be chewing me up.

AARRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

·
4,994 Posts
Remember, In these temps tht old song "But Baby it's cold outside":2:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eric L. said:

With the remote start, you've effectively eliminated any ignition security. The thieves have many ways to start a car without a key by using a lockpick set or a screwdriver.
Kris, with the Viper system (and I suspect others as well) this just isn't an issue as they can't get in the vehicle without opening a door or breaking a window if the alarm is active.

The system can be programmed (as mine is) so that the engine kill switch immediately kills the engine if any door is opened in any way other than by using the remote or if the glass breakage sensor is activated.

Maybe I'm missing something here but how would they steal the car with this system?

I thought I had significantly upgraded the factory security with the addition of the Viper system.

·
4,994 Posts
Can I buy that level of Viper protection without the remote start. with All the Goodies I am worked so hard to put in I would Hate to lose Moreen. Also a source if you bought it on the net. Thanks Don

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don, The Viper I have came from a local auto electronic shop. They are also available in my area from Best Buy. An awful lot of alarms are manufactured by Directed Electronics. Here's the viper index:

http://www.directed.com/security/viper/default.asp

The various brands they make are shown in the menu. I'm sure they can install something without the remote starter. The neat thing about the Viper system is you (the dealer) can customize your installation in just about any fashion you can imagine.

Here's a link to their basic security only sytems.

http://www.directed.com/security/viper/viper_esp.asp

Here's a link to the one I have (791VX):

http://www.directed.com/security/viper/viper_responder.asp

1 - 20 of 22 Posts