Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completeed a long trip on bad roads. The Mo handled it all with aplomb. I left with no rattles and came back with- no rattles after 8000 kilometers on substandard pavement, gravel, and a couple of goat tracks.

One 'problem ' I noticed was after a day of wet, muddy roads, I washed the Mo quickly, just to get major lumps of mud off. I did wash the wheels, but not thourghly enough I guess. The next day, on dry pavement, I had a major tire balance vibration at anything over 50 mph. I stopped and gave it another quick wash, which helped but didn't fix it. One wheel had a smallish amount of mud still stuck on the back inner surface of the wheel - there really wasn't much left stuck on but - bad vibration. I had to very carefully clean all visible mud off the wheels inner surfaces to get rid of the rumble. It's impossible to actually get all the mud off the inside of the spokes on the wheel since they have holowed out areas. I'm going to have to remove the wheels (time for rotation anyway) and carefully get it all out. That is a design issue, easily fixed if Nissan is interested - just close in the back of the spokes when they are cast.

JUst a note for those who drive their Muranos in the mud - clean the rims very carefully to avoid bad wheel balance problems. An alternative would be to not clean the wheels at all until you can do a thorough job. I think if you left the mud on, it will distribute itself evenly, at least for a while anyway.

Another 'poor condition ' design issue I noted was that on very dusty roads, the Muranos rear window collects a very deep layer of dust immediately. The wiper/washer can't begin to handle the depth that accumulates. Not a big deal, somehow the airflow brings a lot of air swirling onto this surface. You can't see out of window at all - but that's why they give us outside mirrors!

·
Registered
38 Posts
thanks for the heads up, will keep that in mind.

It reminds me of My Cousin Vinny the movie:
Town person: "got mud in your tires?"
Vinny: "let me ask a question, how do you get mud into the tires?"
Town person: "no, that's just a figure of speech. The mud gets around the inside of the wheels".

·
Registered
50 Posts
Same thing in the snow

I had exactly the same problem in the snow this winter. After driving through some deep snow the night before, I got out on the highway and the Mo was vibrating badly. I checked each wheel, and there was a clump of snow stuck on the inside of one of the rims. I cleared it off, and the problem was fixed.

Andy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: Same thing in the snow

adavid said:
I had exactly the same problem in the snow this winter. After driving through some deep snow the night before, I got out on the highway and the Mo was vibrating badly. I checked each wheel, and there was a clump of snow stuck on the inside of one of the rims. I cleared it off, and the problem was fixed.

Andy
Same here. Sticky snow = bad. I have found that a good coat of wax on the rims after a good cleaning helps keep the crap from building up too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts