Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just wanted to ask you all, and especially the New England owners about the Murano handling in the snow?

I live in Mass, and as you know that we get massive amounts of snow every year. So I was wondering how good does the Murano handles in these conditions? Is it a capable a car to drive with peace of mind in these conditions?

And what about the AWD that works as a front drive and only kicks in as a real AWD when detecting a slip? I mean I don't want the car to wait until it really slips and then the AWD kicks in!!

I know that it happens in a fraction of a second. However, I don't think that you get the stability of an AWD all the times, do you?

Regards,
Rabso

·
Registered
17 Posts
Haven't driven mine in the snow yet but was in the mountains last week and turned off the pavement on to some pretty bad wash board. Mo stuck to the road like glue with no lag in the AWD that I could tell

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinghemi, thanks for the reply.

Other owners, please help me with your inputs, it will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
278 Posts
A Front-Wheel Drive Winter

Has anyone taken a FWD model through a winter, through snow, etc.?

I have decided (subject to changing my mind): silver, SL, FWD, 2004.

·
4,664 Posts
It's great in the snow. Got mine in January '03 and had a lot of fun with it! Don't have the VDC (don't miss it) and don't have traction control (which I found to be useful two days of the year in my '00 Maxima, so why would I need it on an AWD???)

Don't get me wrong the VDC and TC are both useful, even if they only save your behind, once.:D

·
Registered
278 Posts
That's not snow!

That's Toronto snow: less than a foot.

We get Montreal-Ottawa snow!

I'm going to take a chance on front-wheel drive (like has been great in snow for decades).

They only booked about 14 FWDs for Canada, and I ordered mine today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all guys for your friendly and informative posts.

Jaak thanks a million for the photo, that what I really needed to see, the cute beast in the snow :2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not to compare the winters of Northeast with California but I've driven my SL AWD up to Lake Tahoe about a dozen times the past ski season. While other cars were on the side of the road putting on chains, I zipped right along w no worries. Definitely gives you a piece of mind.

I don't know if the AWD ever kicked in but I did see few cars spin out in front of me while I never lost traction.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sloppy winter driving, whether in CA or ME, is what it is... if others were spinning out and putting chains on, then it was winter driving.

It's what we get lots of here in Canada.

Great to hear that the MO did so well in the mountains.

·
4,664 Posts
Re: That's not snow!

rainbowfarm said:
That's Toronto snow: less than a foot.

We get Montreal-Ottawa snow!

I'm going to take a chance on front-wheel drive (like has been great in snow for decades).

They only booked about 14 FWDs for Canada, and I ordered mine today.
Yeah it's been that way recently, and as usual, gotta knock Toronto... (Toronto envy, I'm used to it. I've been watching everyone knock it, then move here for over 40 years... Well except for hi-tech, which only went to Ottawa because the federal government gave tax breaks to companies to move there, 'cause it was too small to really be called a city!)

But seriously, if you want to drive in deep snow, don't get a MO. Like anything else, the wheels just spin when the car's sitting on the deep stuff. But in places where the local government can afford to plow the roads, it's fine. I even took my MO offroading in the snow in a park 40 minutes west of Toronto.

Oh, and if you're going to get FWD (why?) get Traction Control. I don't have the TC, as I don't need it with AWD.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Re: Re: That's not snow!

jaak said:

...(Toronto envy, I'm used to it. I've been watching everyone knock it, then move here for over 40 years...

...But seriously, if you want to drive in deep snow, don't get a MO. Like anything else, the wheels just spin when the car's sitting on the deep stuff. But in places where the local government can afford to plow the roads, it's fine. I even took my MO offroading in the snow in a park 40 minutes west of Toronto...

Oh, and if you're going to get FWD (why?) get Traction Control. I don't have the TC, as I don't need it with AWD.
After I left T.O. in 1969 or so, I watched wave after wave of people move from Montreal to T.O. or other points west. This has left plenty of space for me (I'm claustrophobic). Toronto is now nothing like what I left, after they razed me there.

Deep snow is not something I'd have to drive in (no off-road, and if they haven't ploughed, I'm not driving!). I've made it through plenty of Canadian winters in less than a FWD MO (lower clearance, some rear-traction dogs).

Unless they change the Canadian model structure for 2004, TC only comes on an SE, which would put me into a FWD SE. In terms of dollars, SL AWD delivers more winter-worthy driving for $5,000 less, using:

SL FWD $37.5
SL AWD $39.5
SE FWD $44.5
SE AWD $46.5

Assuming that these will all be offered, and at roughly those prices. Nothing has indicated otherwise yet.

I forced myself to avoid buying when I was very excited about MO, and now I am waiting, waiting, waiting. Even if it takes until February, the "new" will wear off MO, the APR will drop, and there will be a period of incentives or rebates. The 03s have to be discounted, esp. with visible changes in 04 (manual shift, electric lumbar, whatever else) and with perceived or actual reliability improvement. So, I'm waiting (in my Olds-Mobile)... sung to the tune of... I forgot the tune.

I think Toronto is great by the way, to visit, and for many people who enjoy it there. I can no longer live in any city (not even tiny Ottawa)... the claustrophic thing, and the size of my garden. I'm just a country boy, so pls. take my Toronna ribbing with a grain of salt (organic sea salt harvested by Fair-Trade independent farmers). Take that with a grain of salt, too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
murano in upstate NY

I drove mine through the tail end off winter up here in Syracuse, and we get more snow than most. Handles the snow like a bear. I did switch into full time awd often, just for my own piece of mind.

·
4,664 Posts
That's OK, I'm used to it.

The funny thing is, when I hear the occasional complaint, it's usually about something that someone who has come to the city does, yet it's said about "people from Toronto".

But like any city that's over 2 million (5 if you count the surrounding areas) population density has changed it. Some good, some bad.

Now Buffalo, NY is where they really need AWD!

·
Registered
278 Posts
...yes, but...

How is front-wheel drive in the snow?

·
Registered
11 Posts
jaak said:
It's great in the snow. Got mine in January '03 and had a lot of fun with it! Don't have the VDC (don't miss it) and don't have traction control (which I found to be useful two days of the year in my '00 Maxima, so why would I need it on an AWD???)

Don't get me wrong the VDC and TC are both useful, even if they only save your behind, once.:D

I'm sorry: are you saying that having an AWD makes traction control less desirable? Won't you agree that losing traction on one wheel of AWD is about as bad the same on FWD?

·
4,664 Posts
I had traction control in my Maxima FWD for three years. There were a total of three days that I was happy to have it (but still didn't need it). On the opposite side, I swore at it and turned it off about 40 times at least. The worst offence is when it would detect slip on a slightly slick wet rainy road, while I was in the middle of a left turn with a Transport Truck bearing down on me from the opposite direction.

Not that I didn't have lot's of room, because I'm not suicidal, but when your engine get's the power reduced and you're trying to accelerate from a stop to make the turn, it's very unnerving.

If I was in a playful mood (read, let's gas it and have some fun) the TC would get turned off. Always.

So I wouldn't turn down TC, but I don't miss it. And if you have good driving skills, you won't "need" it, but it's always nice to have another toy. Like VDC, TC could give you that extra little help in some situation, that you'd appreciate. Although, I've been lucky enough to not be able to identify one.. That doesn't mean it never happened. I may have just not been aware of it.

So far, I've not missed it and I have driven my MO in snow. Both plowed and unplowed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts