Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I am Farid and new to this forum. Just bought a Murano in Kuwait 2 weeks ago and have some questions.
I did major damage to the LCD, namely I tried to remove a scratch using some stuff I use in car modelling to smooth clear plastic but it was a disaster as this removed the dark layer of the plastic cover of the screen. now it looks plain horrible. My questions:
- Is the screen easily replaced?
- Where can I compare prices on the internet as the dealer is asking 2,800 USD for the new one?
- What is the color screen I read about on the forum? And where can one get it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Farid-

My first suggestion is... DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!!

Yes, the display is easily replaced. See diagram below.

I doubt you will be able to source the display at anyplace other than NISSAN. Try a salvage yard (junk yard).

The color screen is not interchangeable with the orange display.

Good luck.

-njjoe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Farid,

First, welcome.

Second, at least on the non color displays of the pre 06 models, what you see is not the actual screen but a protective lens that has its own enclosure and the screen sits inside of it. It is therefore completely separate from the display and can be replaced without having to change the display. I am not sure if the color screens are touch-screens but if they are not then more than likely they will have the same protective lens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the info.
the dealer, since its a new car, has gone down to 2000 USD plus courier charges. Just before I order it is the protective lens available for purchase online?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
That is a lot of money....What year is your Murano? Do you have the orange screen?

If you can live with it for a bit longer, these screens will come on e-bay once in a while and you might be able to get one for a decent price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its brand new 2 weeks old. The screen is orange. The dealer says that the cover and screen come as one unit?
As you know there is a clear gap between the screen and the plastic frame around it. It would be great if a cover that just snaps in place is available. I am sure it would look really good.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Dealer is full of it.

When I moved my screen to under the radio I had to take it out of its housing to make it fit so belive me, the protective housing and lens are separate from the display. I will take a picture and post for you as soon as I get a chance. I will look for a part number as well.

If I did not plan on puttng the car back to its original state when I am ready to sell it in a few years I would consider selling the housing to you. Too bad you don't have access to a US junkyard where you could get a display that has been rained on (and no good) for next to nothing and use its parts.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I no longer have the repair manual

As i gave it away when I sold the Mod Mo. However I truly believe that the screen front protector even has a separate part number.

Get to know the parts manager. Get him to look it up on his computer. The dealer just wants to make a big sale and get the 75% margin profit.

Search the forum and see the process of removing the display, then take it apart and measure the screen cover exactly go to the computer store or the Internet and buy a really nice cover and DIY and be proud of what you did. It's not hard, just take your time and look in the repair manual, You can download it on line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry everyone I don't want to drag on the subject forever but I need to know how do I get to the screen i.e. which parts of the dash I need to take out and how.
I also need a contact E-mail, if there is one, of the parent company for the display cover protector as Nissan Middle East are no help.
It just does not make sense to pay so much and replace a perfectly working display unit because of a protector lens that costs a few bucks and has been damaged.
Farid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts