Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought used murano 2009, it has check engine on and high fuel consumption, also noisy starting in morning, they diagnosed multi missfire then colis fualty, but that didn't turned check engine off, then I have been told it may has sludge oil causing problem, or wrong timing chain set. As old owner replace timing chain,
So can any one advise me what to do, rather than nissan dealer as they are in stage of daignosing asking huge fees.

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
You need to separate the problems.

The LEAST likely things to be a problem are: (1) Timing chain (that's extremely unlikely) and (2) "sludge oil." Any time you hear sludge as a cause, be cautious because it's a frequently used excuse to charge you money when the mechanic has no idea what's going on. If you actually have that problem, do 2-3 oil and filter changes close together and it will be gone.

Pull the codes. You can't tell what that check engine light is until you do so. Most auto parts stores will read the codes for you. (You didn't say where you are.) If not, buy an inexpensive code reader or go to a shop that will apply the cost of the diagnostic to the cost of the repair.

How many miles on it? Since it's 11 years old, you're probably due to change all the spark plugs and coils. Don't buy them from a dealer, get them from independent parts sources. It's not a difficult procedure to replace them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to separate the problems.

The LEAST likely things to be a problem are: (1) Timing chain (that's extremely unlikely) and (2) "sludge oil." Any time you hear sludge as a cause, be cautious because it's a frequently used excuse to charge you money when the mechanic has no idea what's going on. If you actually have that problem, do 2-3 oil and filter changes close together and it will be gone.

Pull the codes. You can't tell what that check engine light is until you do so. Most auto parts stores will read the codes for you. (You didn't say where you are.) If not, buy an inexpensive code reader or go to a shop that will apply the cost of the diagnostic to the cost of the repair.

How many miles on it? Since it's 11 years old, you're probably due to change all the spark plugs and coils. Don't buy them from a dealer, get them from independent parts sources. It's not a difficult procedure to replace them.
  1. Thanks a lot Pilgrim for your value replay, I will realy do that.
  2. A put sludge oil do you reccomend flush oil, last michanich advise to put special oil have detergent provided by Shell, he to be change each 500 km.

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
I presume he means there is a buildup of sludge in the oil. That indicates two things: 1) the previous owner didn't change oil often enough, and 2) the car hasn't been driven enough to completely warm up. Sludge tends to form when the owner does a lot of short trips and moisture from combustion builds up.

Any good synthetic oil is highly detergent; in fact, ALL major brands of oil, both synthetic and standard, now are very detergent. I think that two or three oil changes in quick succession will clean up most of the sludge, but it will really help if you make some extended trips (500 miles or more) during each oil fill to heat up the engine thoroughly.

You can also add an engine cleaner (like Seafoam) to the oil, then run the engine according to the label directions and change the oil. That will clean it up more quickly. Just don't put the engine under stress while that stuff is in your oil and thinning it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I presume he means there is a buildup of sludge in the oil. That indicates two things: 1) the previous owner didn't change oil often enough, and 2) the car hasn't been driven enough to completely warm up. Sludge tends to form when the owner does a lot of short trips and moisture from combustion builds up.

Any good synthetic oil is highly detergent; in fact, ALL major brands of oil, both synthetic and standard, now are very detergent. I think that two or three oil changes in quick succession will clean up most of the sludge, but it will really help if you make some extended trips (500 miles or more) during each oil fill to heat up the engine thoroughly.

You can also add an engine cleaner (like Seafoam) to the oil, then run the engine according to the label directions and change the oil. That will clean it up more quickly. Just don't put the engine under stress while that stuff is in your oil and thinning it.
Hello Pilgrim, I take the car to mechanich, he did test, the results was no issues with spark plugs, coils, injectors, o2 sensor, crank & camshaft sensors have voltages, peston presure.
Then he sayd there is different in injection pulse between bank 1 and 2, what do you think reason behind?

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
I don't know what that statement means. I can't see how there would be a different in "injection pulse". Normally there either is one of there's not. I can't help you with that, based on the information provided.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know what that statement means. I can't see how there would be a different in "injection pulse". Normally there either is one of there's not. I can't help you with that, based on the information provided.
He is asuming that wrong position of one of the camshaft by one teeth could give information to ECU to let injector on in wrong time?

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
If so, that would be a problem with the camshaft sensor, which makes some sense.

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
I'm not very familiar with the camshaft sensor, but my understanding is that each one installs in only one position.

Your timing should be correct unless your timing chain jumped a tooth, which is highly unlikely.

I can't help much more with this one...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My car has noisy start in the morning which is last couple second, which is mean timing chain tensioner is not functioning in the beginning of cold start, do you thing it has a relation with missfire? Or fix the tensioner could fix missfire?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought used murano 2009, it has check engine on and high fuel consumption, also noisy starting in morning, they diagnosed multi missfire then colis fualty, but that didn't turned check engine off, then I have been told it may has sludge oil causing problem, or wrong timing chain set. As old owner replace timing chain,
So can any one advise me what to do, rather than nissan dealer as they are in stage of daignosing asking huge fees.
Misfiring is of two issues in any car these days after 2000, 1 the ignition coil over sparkplug coils or the ignition module. My exp says 1st it requires new coils, no other reason exists.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Costs per coil are from 59.99 - 99.00 each, installation extra, if you need to replace these, you might as well do a tune up by replacing the throttlebody gasket, and sparkplugs and pcv valve.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Misfiring is of two issues in any car these days after 2000, 1 the ignition coil over sparkplug coils or the ignition module. My exp says 1st it requires new coils, no other reason exists.
Faulty ignition coils were the initial diagnosis of the OP's mechanic, but new coils did not fix the problem as indicated in his initial post.

·
Registered
139 Posts
if previous owner replaced the timing chain, something must've been pretty amiss with the engine or they seriously mis-diagnosed problem. i'm not sure what would necessitate a timing chain replacement on a vq short of super high mileage.

as to ignition coils, if crap Chinese sweatshop coils were the replacements, they could be garbage bad right from the counterfeit box.

sounds like the op bought a problem vehicle that someone messed up while trying to "fix it."

if you're sure that the timing chain was replaced by the previous owner, it seems a good start to verify that that work was done correctly (and you can replace the timing chain tensioner while you're at it). after that, you can proceed accordingly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts