Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK almost 12,000 miles and my first major problem today...

Stopped for gas on the way home from work and when I started it up again, the following lights stayed on: VDC Off, SLIP, Service Engine Soon. Not good. So I tried to pull away from the pump and nothing... no power. Not even a rev from stepping on the pedal. I roll the car away on idle power and pull to the side.

Start it back up, same thing. Shut it off.

Great. Before I call for roadside service I try again.

It starts up, but this time only the Service Engine Soon light stays on. The car seems to go so I hit it and drive home with the light on.

Once I get home, I shut it down and try to start again. Same nonsense. So I just brought it in to the dealer and left it.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Any ideas?

thanks
Charles

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Just a guess, but it could be a connector that came loose, since there was no "tramatizing" incident or the "long drive of death" that requires a reboot.

·
4,664 Posts
I agree, it's an intermittant problem. Could be thermal, could be connector, could be a bad connection e.g. solder joint, but it's electrical.

The SES stayed on because it's logged the error code(s). Tell your dealer you want to know what codes it recorded.

We can look them up in the service manual and tell you what it detected.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hrrrm OK I'll see if I can get that info. I hope this isn't one of those back-and-forth-to-the-dealer 10 times things.

BTW They got me a brand new Chrysler Pacifica for a rental car - man this thing sucks! I want the MO back!!! :(

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had the exact thing happen to me right after I bought my Murano. Slip, VDC Off and Service Engine Soon lights were all lit after a gas up, with only fail safe power allowing me to crawl forward. After I tightened the gas cap and restarted the engine, only the Service Engine Soon light remained on and power was restored.

Took it in for service and I was told the diagnotic had shown a throttle problem, but the tech could find nothing wrong. He said that the warning lights may have come on if I had pressed the gas pedal in the ACC mode before starting the engine after filling with gas. He thought the sensors could have then determined that gas was being sent to the engine but it did not accelerate, therefore a problem.

All they ended up doing was resetting the warning light and I have never had this happen again in the 26 months since. I'm much more cafeful now about the gas cap being tight and that the ignition switch is fully off before restarting the engine.

Here is a link to the 2/16/03 thread.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. The only thing that's different in my case is that after I drive it home (30 miles), I shut off the car and when I started it the same thing happened again. I had to restart it 3-4 times before it would move.

I checked the gas cap and it was plenty tight - I always listen for that clicking sound when it gets closed, so I'm sure it wasn't loose.

I'll post back once I hear from the dealer...

thanks
Charles

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yes, it didn't happen again like it did to you. Worried me a lot at the time, though.

Just to be sure, you weren't pressing on the gas pedal at all when starting the engine, right?

Curious to hear what the service department finds. Maybe it applies to mine as well.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I am willing to bet zovsuvs description of an identical problem is better than what I have, but I'll try too. On my 97 Maxima, I had a stalling problem. The engine would start but as soon as I shifted out of park, it would stall. Turned out to be a bad mass air flow sensor.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zofsuvs said:
Yes, it didn't happen again like it did to you. Worried me a lot at the time, though.

Just to be sure, you weren't pressing on the gas pedal at all when starting the engine, right?

Curious to hear what the service department finds. Maybe it applies to mine as well.
Definitely did NOT press the gas pedal while starting the engine. I always have my feet on the floor while starting.

Well anyway, I got somewhat of a vague description of the problem from the dealer. It sounds like they are replacing something to do with the throttle body? Some "flap" is intermittently sticking. $1800+ worth of parts. Glad it's under warranty!

I will try to get some more accurate information when I go to pick it up later....

Charles

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
sid6581 said:
...It sounds like they are replacing something to do with the throttle body? Some "flap" is intermittently sticking. .
Wow... I thought Eric's description of his problem was nothing like sid6581's but it sounds like he may have hit it right on the money...

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Wow... I thought Eric's description of his problem was nothing like sid6581's but it sounds like he may have hit it right on the money...
Well it was clearly related to the intake system, but I got the component wrong. This is what happens when you have finicky electronic throttle bodies instead of the old fashioned cable controlled ones.

·
Registered
593 Posts
sid6581 said:
Some "flap" is intermittently sticking. $1800+ worth of parts. Glad it's under warranty!
Man, that's one expensive flap!

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Using some throttle while starting will not cause problems, and is in fact recommended in the manual for difficult starts (like when really cold). I have tried it, and it works fine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok according to the receipt the following were replaced:

- EFI Throttle Chamber

- Throttle Position Sensor

I wonder if they just replaced everything that could have caused the problem? :)

Charles

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
As long as A) you didn't pay for any of it, and B) one of the parts they replaced was causing the problem, it's all good! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. Took it into the dealer this morning and they are replacing the throttle body. They're also going to replace the alternator again, this will be my third but the first of the "new upgraded" versions. It will be covered (the alternator) under the recall. Not the greatest of experiences owning this car so far, I'm only at 21,500 kms. I love it when it's running well but I'm starting to feel like I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for something else to go wrong. I'm seriously considering upgrading to a 2005 or 2006 if they've managed to work the bugs out. Another really irritating thing is the damn burning smell that no one seems to be able to find a cure for.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had same problem also

Car stalled twice, each time the VDC, Slip, and AWD drive lights came on. Turned ignition off, let it sit for a minute, the car then started, but the "service engine soon" light stayed on. They're fixing it right now and indicated that it was the throttle chamber. Not exactly sure which parts are getting replaced.

The car was problem free for 35k miles, but in the last month or so I've had a broken alternator bracket and now the throttle problem. I'm hoping this isn't the beginning of a bad run, but on the plus side I'm really glad I bought the extended warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
no power

I tought I was the only one something like this could happen too! The exact thing happened to me with my 2005 Nissan Murano with 105K miles.
Stopped for gas, tried to leave the pump and no power, lucky to get 5 MPH. Except in my case, I have no lights. Also no lights at all on the instrument cluster on the right. There was an AutoZone next door so I had them put the hand help device to checking engine on it...no power there either. Vehidle starts, and idles find.. but has no power.

What did the dealership determine was wrong with yours?

OK almost 12,000 miles and my first major problem today...

Stopped for gas on the way home from work and when I started it up again, the following lights stayed on: VDC Off, SLIP, Service Engine Soon. Not good. So I tried to pull away from the pump and nothing... no power. Not even a rev from stepping on the pedal. I roll the car away on idle power and pull to the side.

Start it back up, same thing. Shut it off.

Great. Before I call for roadside service I try again.

It starts up, but this time only the Service Engine Soon light stays on. The car seems to go so I hit it and drive home with the light on.

Once I get home, I shut it down and try to start again. Same nonsense. So I just brought it in to the dealer and left it.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Any ideas?

thanks
Charles

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
dlcindallas, from your description your problem maybe related to a loose BCM ground under the dash. You may need a service manual to locate all the under the dash ground points though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts