Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experience this with 2nd gen
Not fixed yet! Thanks for any help

Recurring p2100/p2100 loss of throttle but will idle.

If shut off restart will run for short time.

Checked wires to throttle body OK

Replaced throttle body

Checked powers and grounds to ECM and checked wires from ECM to IPDM for throttle body relay circuit OK

Sent ECM to a rebuilder and when it was returned had immediate #6 cylinder misfire and code.

Moved plug and coil still #6 misfire

Checked coil power and grounds OK checked signal wire to ECM OK

Called ECM rebuilder and advised I did not want to drive car with misfire and they said to send it back.

Got ECM back and installed. Drove once and next trip quit and gat original p2100/2101 codes and would now not clear if key was shut off. Clear codes and they came back with no throttle activity.

Rechecked all related wires and all OK

Called rebuilder and expressed my frustration. They said send it back.

Got a call that they found same problem as original problem and suspect IPDM is taking out the computer.

As much as I question this I have acquired a known good one and am awaiting my ECM. Return.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Any experience this with 2nd gen
Not fixed yet! Thanks for any help

Recurring p2100/p2100 loss of throttle but will idle.

If shut off restart will run for short time.

Checked wires to throttle body OK

Replaced throttle body

Checked powers and grounds to ECM and checked wires from ECM to IPDM for throttle body relay circuit OK

Sent ECM to a rebuilder and when it was returned had immediate #6 cylinder misfire and code.

Moved plug and coil still #6 misfire

Checked coil power and grounds OK checked signal wire to ECM OK

Called ECM rebuilder and advised I did not want to drive car with misfire and they said to send it back.

Got ECM back and installed. Drove once and next trip quit and gat original p2100/2101 codes and would now not clear if key was shut off. Clear codes and they came back with no throttle activity.

Rechecked all related wires and all OK

Called rebuilder and expressed my frustration. They said send it back.

Got a call that they found same problem as original problem and suspect IPDM is taking out the computer.

As much as I question this I have acquired a known good one and am awaiting my ECM. Return.

P2100 - Throttle Control Motor Relay Circuit Open
ECM detects that the voltage of power source for throttle control motor is excessively low.

P2101 - Electric Throttle Control Performance
Electric throttle control function does not operate properly.

When you checked the control and power circuits for the throttle body relay, did you just check for continuity or did you also check for short to power/ground? Also, did the company tell you which terminal on the ECM corresponds to whatever they say keeps getting fried inside the PCM (e.g. so you can confirm that it's the same circuit that's the problem)?

If the wiring checks out and the ECM is working properly then it could very well be a fault in the IPDM/ER itself. In fact, replacement of the IPDM/ER is the last step in the service manual procedure for the P2100. Good luck and let us know what the fix ends up being.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ECM detects that the voltage of power source for throttle control motor is excessively low.

When you checked the control and power circuits for the throttle body relay, did you just check for continuity or did you also check for short to power/ground? Also, did the company tell you which terminal on the ECM corresponds to whatever they say keeps getting fried inside the PCM (e.g. so you can confirm that it's the same circuit that's the problem)?

If the wiring checks out and the ECM is working properly then it could very well be a fault in the IPDM/ER itself. In fact, replacement of the IPDM/ER is the last step in the service manual procedure for the P2100. Good luck and let us know what the fix ends up being.

Thanks for the quick response. I have a used IPDM out of a running Murano. Without proper IPDM diagnostic tree I’m taking no chances. Shipping it back and forth is getting pricy. I have a very detailed wire diagram that help with checking ECM and Throttle Body but have no info on IPDM testing. I did check power and ground for Throttle Body Relay and until a code is set the ECM grounds the relay as it should. Once the code is set it does not ground the relay. If I clear the codes and trigger the relay the car runs as it should. But it sets a relay stuck code after two cycles. I expect the ECM does a check after shutdown and my timing does not fall in the perimeter. It would be nice to have a theory and operation of the throttle body action inside the ECM. As soon as the ECM get back I am going to install it and the known good IPDM ans see what happens.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I have a used IPDM out of a running Murano. Without proper IPDM diagnostic tree I’m taking no chances. Shipping it back and forth is getting pricy. I have a very detailed wire diagram that help with checking ECM and Throttle Body but have no info on IPDM testing. I did check power and ground for Throttle Body Relay and until a code is set the ECM grounds the relay as it should. Once the code is set it does not ground the relay. If I clear the codes and trigger the relay the car runs as it should. But it sets a relay stuck code after two cycles. I expect the ECM does a check after shutdown and my timing does not fall in the perimeter. It would be nice to have a theory and operation of the throttle body action inside the ECM. As soon as the ECM get back I am going to install it and the known good IPDM ans see what happens.
Info on the IPDM and wiring diagrams are in the "Power Control System" section of the service manual that MuranoSL2003 linked before although you probably already have the schematics. There is an Auto Active test in the service manual that you can run (if you haven't already) that basically tests all the components that the IPDM controls directly.

For the throttle body motor, the control signal comes from the ECM (terminal 15) and energizes the throttle control motor relay through terminal 70 of the IPDM and then power flows out of terminal 54 of the IPDM and back into the ECM (terminal 2) to power the throttle control motor. The fuse for that circuit and the relay are in the IPDM, but the ECM controls it (and receives the power) so if there is a problem internal to the IPDM then my guess is it's probably the relay itself (or an issue with internal wiring).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To: I Need Coffee, Your link to the Nissan manuals was very helpful. I call the ECM re-builder and he stated that the transistor relay for the throttle body relay ground in the IPDM was the area of the problem. He said to check the IPDM closely. Because the problem came on immediately I did not want to take a chance of putting the ECM and starting to power things up to test and risk another computer failure I did all wire harness checks and found them to be OK. At that time I decided to acquire a known good IPDM and put it in. I have driven the car three time since and have had no problems. This is encouraging. I prefer to know what happened to cause a problem but not knowing what the ECM does with information from the IPDM I guess is going to leave me in the dark. At least I am up and running for now. Thanks Much< Joe O

·
Registered
627 Posts
To: I Need Coffee, Your link to the Nissan manuals was very helpful. I call the ECM re-builder and he stated that the transistor relay for the throttle body relay ground in the IPDM was the area of the problem. He said to check the IPDM closely. Because the problem came on immediately I did not want to take a chance of putting the ECM and starting to power things up to test and risk another computer failure I did all wire harness checks and found them to be OK. At that time I decided to acquire a known good IPDM and put it in. I have driven the car three time since and have had no problems. This is encouraging. I prefer to know what happened to cause a problem but not knowing what the ECM does with information from the IPDM I guess is going to leave me in the dark. At least I am up and running for now. Thanks Much< Joe O
Good to hear the "new" IPDM seems to have fixed the problem. Unfortunately, the IPDM itself is more or less a "black box" as everything is integrated and nothing is serviceable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts