Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
This has beem proven to be a piece of $h!t for a long time. But of course there are people who are more than willing to try anything for cheap horsepower.

The only way to trick the ECU would be to not trick it but actually have the ECU reprogramed. The only places I would go for a modified ECU would be Jim Wolf Technology or Nissan/NISMO. Of course I'm not sure if they are available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Re: Murano Performance Chip

WindsorFox said:

He's a lying sack. That's not a "chip" it's a resistor pack. Makes your engine run rich all the time, that's it. No one will ever get 19 HP out of it, if you do, you need miantenance bad.
Got a question. I thought that running an engine leaner would give it extra power. You try to have it run as lean as possible without pinging/predetonation. Is this true?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Murano Performance Chip

legokcen said:

Got a question. I thought that running an engine leaner would give it extra power. You try to have it run as lean as possible without pinging/predetonation. Is this true?
Not necessarily. I know someone with a supercharged engine who burned a hole in a piston because of a lean condition. It also changes with the power curve and is somewhat different for each vehicle. Some LS1's run very very rich, to the point that there is smut above the exhaust outlet and all of the ones I've seen like that are running mid to high 11's. Also most of these cars are not using cats so it doesn't matter, you can't run real rich or you will melt the guts.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I think there have been some mixing up of the terms rich and lean.

Lean is when there is more oxygen than fuel. This produces more power, but also a lot more heat, which can destroy the engine in several ways.

Rich is when there is more fuel than oxygen. With fuel injected engines, any situation other than cruising at a constant speed with the engine at operating temperature, the engine will be running rich. This is to keep the engine from overheating.

The "resistor mod" discussed in this thread would make the engine run leaner than normal, but with electronic fuel injection, the sensors will notice, the fuel maps will be updated, and the air-fuel ratio will return to what the computer has been programmed for. You'll notice a difference at first, leading you to believe it's working, then the computer will slowly adjust things back to the way they were.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Engines make power by burning fuel...the more fuel it can burn, the more power it will make, as long as there is sufficient oxygen to allow complete combustion...eg superchargers compress air putting more oxygen in the cylinder...more fuel can now be injected...bigger bang on the power stroke...more power...when more fuel is injected it has a "cooling" effect as the vaporization from liquid to gas absorbs heat....if an engine runs lean (not enough fuel) it is losing some of this cooling effect and runs hotter and will melt pistons in the extreme...

·
4,601 Posts
And then there's rich and too rich... If the fuel is vaporised well and mixes well with the air, then you have a better chance of full combustion to maximise power. Some engines need to run slightly richer than optimum to ensure that all the available oxygen is burned for the most power. Some of the fuel isn't burned as result, which means it's not as clean burning.

It's my understanding that good mixture and optimum ratio to keep emissions and fuel consumption down and power up, is what manufacturers strive for. When all you care about it power, then the rules shift slightly, as could the mixture....

That's my perception of reality, but I'm no expert...:cool:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
a member from my old santa fe forum tried this out and it actually mage his car stall. don't bother wasting your money. it's a 5 cent resistor that will screw up your engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts