Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Two weeks ago my wife and I bought our Murano (Deep Bordeaux, Carbenet Cloth, Premium Package, Sunroof) and we were so happy. Shortly aterwards, the rear passenger side window started rattling, the lever to lower the rear seats stopped working and we experience steering vibrations indicating that the wheels need to be balanced.

Well today, the car broke down on us. It would start up but put it in drive and it goes nowhere. We can rev it as much as we want but no response in any gears (Reverse, Drive, Ds or L). So we had to get it towed to our house.

We have not even made the first payment on this car. We have only 1300 miles on the car. I know that this may be one in a million but it is still my problem. How can I trust that once fixed this will not happen again?

I called Nissan Roadside assistance but they could not help since I did not purchase the extended warranty. What luck!!!

I just wanted to share my experience with you all.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
194 Posts
I had the same steering vibration with nine miles on my car. They had to resurface the rotors. I know I am not the only person on this forum who has had this problem too. Bad machining I guess. Sorry to hear about the other problem though. Hope it works out. You should fight to get that tow bill reimbursed though. You have to be relentless...they will resist.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
In general, all the problems you mentioned are reparable and should not recur. This assumes of course your dealer service department is capable.

Call your dealer and start a calender of events.

As a side note, first time I've heard the seat lever doesn't work and no movement. And I've heard of front driver and passenger window rattle but not rear passenger. Anyone else?

Vibration can be tires, disks, wheels or bearings. No movement could be a lot of things, but would guess torque converter controller.

What year model is it? How many miles did it have on it at purchase?

Don't forget to add your problems to the database on the knowledge base page.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car had 550 miles on it when we bought it. It is a 2003. Even though it is reparable by the dealer, our faith in this car is a bit shaken. I believe that the major problem is with the transmission.

Will replacing the transmission decrease the value of the car?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
dageo said:
The car had 550 miles on it when we bought it. It is a 2003. Even though it is reparable by the dealer, our faith in this car is a bit shaken. I believe that the major problem is with the transmission.

Will replacing the transmission decrease the value of the car?
No, replacing the transmission will not affect the value of the car, since it was done by the dealer with factory OEM parts. Its unfortunate you received a lemon, and I hope your dealer shows how good their customer service is by paying for your tow as well. If you have not filled out the nissan customer survey yet (the one they tell you to put all excellents on, since apparently, anything but "excellent" counts "as a zero" :rolleyes:, use it to your advantage. Tell the dealer you will not give them high marks unless they repair the car to your satisfaction. I did that, when my car arrived with a scratch near the ignition. They said "they would fix it" but never contacted me with the trim repair appointment. Finally I told them you will get all "not satisfieds" on the survey unless you fix it...today! They do take the survey seriously, since its the way the manufacturer uses to guage how well the dealer is doing, and factors this into fulfilling high volume model requests. So for example, maybe the sunlit copper or silver Muranos are hot sellers, but the white model is not. Guess which models the dealers with poor customer surveys will end up getting! ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update.

My car has been at the dealer for the past 1-1/2 weeks. A new transmission has been shipped to the dealer and will be there any day now (in other words, they don't know when it will arrive). According to the service manager, they will have to ship the damaged transmission to Japan.

We have made the first payment for the car and don't even have it. It may be another couple weeks before we get it.

I need to write a letter to Nissan. Anyone have information about whom to address it to.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I have received the survey. Should I be aware of something before I fill out the survey? How can I use this to my best advantage?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"How can I use this to my best advantage?"

Don't fill it out.

THREATEN to fill it out.
With very poor marks "reflecting reality" as you see it.

But positively don't fill it out until that Murano is back in your possesion and you have put some miles on it.

Homer

·
Nissan Enthusiast
194 Posts
Just food for thought...

That very survey could be used against you in court if you have sue to get a replacement vehicle...Don't lie on the survey but tear 'em a new a**hole on the parts of the survey that pertain to your problem.

·
Registered
487 Posts
With the survey... it's your Excalibur. Tell your dealer that if you are not fully satisfied, and VERY quickly, you will fill out the survey to reflect your supreme dissatisfaction with their dealership, salesmen, manager and service department.

I'm surprised they haven't already fallen over backwards to serve you, considering they KNOW about that survey and how important it is. My salesman was almost willing to shine my shoes to get 'Excellent' across the board.

It's a weapon! Use it!

·
Registered
126 Posts
It seems the surveys donn't matter much up in Canada no one even followed up on it when it disappeared into my desk. The dealership where I leased the MO has not even called to see where I am getting my service work done (another dealer) I figured if they couldn't get an install on a trailer wiring harness done right I did not want them messing with anything else.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
LOL! Yeah, that would make me extremely reluctant.

They won't follow up on a survey that isn't sent (I'm saying this because I didn't send 2 of my Z surveys for 6 months) but they did follow up on a partialy complete survey (intentional on my part not a mistake). So I'm thinking it may not matter as much if you don't send one but it matters a lot more if you do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. We got back our Murano tonight. Two weeks after it first went in. It drove fine on the way home but the steering was tighter than normal (it seems). I tried to speak to the Sales Manager about an extended waranty for my wife's trust in this car has been affected. But they wanted us to pay $1,000 for the "glod preffered" warranty.
I am very upset over this. It is going to take some time before we can feel comfortable driving this car hoping that it does not break down on one of our trips from Houston to Dallas. We love the car but so far the experience has not been good. Too many little other problems for a new car (window rattle, wheel off-center, etc).
I am going to complain to Nissan's customer service but I am doubtful if this will help.
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I paid $980 for a gold preferred zero deductible on my 00 Maxima for 48 months 100,000 miles back in late 1999 and that was on a MSRP vehicle of about $30k.

If the price is $1,000 for the Nissan Gold Prefered, with zero deductible, then that's a great price (depending on the term and miles of course).

·
Registered
6 Posts
i've had my murano in the shop several times and every time they have not earned "excellents." my murano was a lemon from the day i bought it, but the dealer doesn't care. all i get (besides the alternator failure at 2400 miles) is "can't duplicate problem." even though there are TSB's on every one of them.

i'm never buying nissan or infiniti again. period.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My car is in the shop again. It seems that when they were changing out the transmission, the power steering was affected and now the steering is very stiff. Making turns at low speeds requires a lot of effort.
We have owned the car for about a month and a half but but half the time it has been in the shop.
The dealer has given us a loaner however but I would prefer to drive the car that we bought. I love the murano but I am beginning to wonder.
The dealer has offered to sell us the 7yr, 100000 miles extended waranty for $750. What do you think? My wife and I are thinking of taking him up on that offer just to be safe.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I don't doubt that figure.

I paid $1300 (down from list at $1600) for a 7 yr 70,000 mile.

Obviously, the one they are offering is better and the price is great.

I see no reason why "they" should give it to you.

I would jump on this deal but ONLY IF you are
1- going to keep the car
2- and especially if you are going to keep the car for an extended time (If you are not going to keep it for a long time, ask for the same deal (cost) on a shorter one)

Homer

1 - 20 of 29 Posts