• 1 not reliable

Votes: 8 7.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would you rate the reliability of a murano?
1 = not reliable
5 = very reliable

many of these problems listed scare people; so come to the nissan murano forum and see how we rate our muranos.

Dom:7:

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Internet forums are probably the worst way to evaluate the reliability of anything!

Fortunately, most people realize that. Otherwise, anyone doing research via forums like this one wouldn't buy a thing.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Dom-

I hope you do not mind, but I reversed the order of your poll. I put the favorable choice (5) at the top and the least desirable (1) at the bottom, so that it now resembles the typical poll format.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Reliability is a relative term. Everything breaks down. Question is how much does it cost to fix it back up???

I voted "very reliable" because that is what my MO has been. Am I scared of it breaking down more than the CRV I used to have? Absolutely yes because it will cost me a lot more to fix it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a problem njjoe.
guys i realize the fact that if research was done on a forum than no one would buy anything. It seems that everything and anything goes wrong with them on a forum.
i was just giving the thought of "hey lets see what they actually think about their truck",
i hope this poll is fine.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I literally do not know how to answer that question.

I found the Murano to be a tremendous let down.
After buying nothing but American Cars since 1977 when I bought a Datsun 810, I finally broke down and bought a japanese car. Everybody said they were much better than those junky american cars....
Everybody lied.
My Chrysler T&C broke exactly once in seven years.
My Murano was back to the dealer 6 times in 6 months!
Had a couple of problems each time!
And....the CD player that is in there is the fourth one.

So it would seem that I should just check #1 and go on.........

Except for one tiny little detail.
Nothing else has broken in the last 5 1/2 years......!

I need to be able to check #1 AND #5. ;)

Homer

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hfelknor said:
I literally do not know how to answer that question.

I found the Murano to be a tremendous let down.
After buying nothing but American Cars since 1977 when I bought a Datsun 810, I finally broke down and bought a japanese car. Everybody said they were much better than those junky american cars....
Everybody lied.
My Chrysler T&C broke exactly once in seven years.
My Murano was back to the dealer 6 times in 6 months!
Had a couple of problems each time!
And....the CD player that is in there is the fourth one.

So it would seem that I should just check #1 and go on.........

Except for one tiny little detail.
Nothing else has broken in the last 5 1/2 years......!

I need to be able to check #1 AND #5. ;)

Homer
so once you replaced everything, there was nothing else to go wrong; since it was all new:8:
haha sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
dom08 said:
i was just giving the thought of "hey lets see what they actually think about their truck"
My truck?? :confused: I thought this was a poll about my car. You did mean the Murano, didn't you? ;)

-njjoe

·
Registered
87 Posts
Now that I've replaced all the suspension components in the frontend it's been ok minus the broken front seat, rusty fuel filler etc etc that you have to live with. My same age BMW has been a way more reliable vehicle and has had way less problems then my Murano, and most people complain about BMW reliability. To be quite honest I'm very disappointed with Murano and with the Nissan dealer in general, but now I've spent too much fixing the Murano to justify getting rid of it so I guess I'll be keeping it for a while longer

·
Registered
18 Posts
I voted for very reliable. However, "reliable" is a relative term. I've been tracking repairs for my MO for a few years now and this is what I've spent on repairs not covered under the warranty (I bought the car new in 2003 and now it has 103xxx miles):

fuel dampers - $500 (dealer)
tail light - $6 (self change)
wheel bearings, belt, oil plan gasket, and tire balance - $1,135 (dealer)

I've also started tracking my significant maintenance costs:
transmission fluid change - $252 (dealer)
tires - $550 (indy shop)
battery - $100 (self change)
rear pads - $90 (indy shop)
front pads - $162 (indy shop)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Prob8
Although those are some expensive bills, when you look at the cost of the repairs over 8 years it might not sound too bad. Not counting the maintenance items and the light bulb, you spent just north of $200 per year on unexpected repairs. In relative terms, I don't think that's too bad... I voted very reliable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Agreed. The repair costs suck when you have to pay them but the car has been pretty cheap over its life so far. Far cheaper than the monthly cost of paying for a new one. Plus, the car still looks and feels close to new!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Plus, the car still looks and feels close to new!
Same here at 87K miles - though garaging DOES help maintain that new car look and feel. But I've had ZERO repair (non-maintenance) costs in almost 6 1/2 years since my 04 SE was new. Maintenance costs (including a set of tires, new brake pads, every oil and filter change, an Optima battery, accessory belts, and a couple minor things like antifreeze, wiper blades and a couple bulbs) have averaged $230/year for me. That's way less than a monthly car payment for an entire year!

Best car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Here is Consumer Reports' take on the reliability of a used Murano:

Here is a broader, apples-to-apples comparison between manufacturers. This is Consumer Reports' predicted overall reliability of used SUVs based on their comprehensive survey. From left to right, 2001-2010. It's a bit sobering when comparing Nissan to Toyota.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my Murano new in the summer of 2003. It now has just over 100,000 miles (160,000 kms) on it.

under warranty I had three (3) front plastic "chrome" grills replaced, the fake chrome just wrinkled up and peeled off. I bought a fourth one myself, outside of warranty, when it did the same thing I have just left it looking like that.

the dash squeaks and rattles, spraying in silicone spray quiets it down for a while, then it starts up again. Annoying.

Drivers side sun visor has been replaced twice, and is broken again. Expensive piece of crap.

the rear pop out cup holder has broken twice, and is broken again. Annoying.

The drivers side power seat frame broke while I was far away from home on a long trip. Dangerous and annoying, and out of warranty. When I got home I removed and dis assembled the seat, and welded and braced the seat frame myself, stupid design and too thin materials, as well as a safety hazard. Has been fine since I welded and braced it, so far. As the seat belt anchors to the seat, I would say that is a major safety hazard.

the Murano is tough on brakes and tires. I have warped three sets of front discs, so am on my fourth full set of discs, now heavy duty cross drilled aftermarket.

when the Murano would no longer hold an alignment, I investigated. The so called fluid filled lower control arm bushings were junk, as were the ball joints and the tie rod ends and the front wheel bearings. I replaced everything myself with aftermarket parts, heavier duty and better quality than the Nissan junk, at about 90,000 miles. I was apalled at the parts prices quoted by the Nissan dealer, especialy the replacement lower control arms. I obtained from after market sources equal or better quality replacement parts at LESS THAN ONE THIRD the cost demanded by the Nissan dealer. Ridiculous.

changing the front wheel bearings involved having to remove the seized in ABS wheel sensors, had to destroy both to get them out, common problem, stupid stupid design, and a signifcant unnecessary cost. Annoying.

the hatch release has broken twice,. First time under warranty, the second time about 6months ago. Easy to change out, but annoying. The fuel filler is rusting and needs constant lubrication to keep it working.

to get at the sparkplugs to change them out involves removing the intake manifold/fuel injection, and replacing pricey gaskets as well as a ton of labour. Really really dumb design.

the exhaust system now needs major repairs or replacement. At 100,000 miles. For a 1960 Chevy pickup that would have been astounding durability. For a 2003 model in an era of essentially lifetime stainless steel exhausts, this is ridiculous and a significant annoyance as well as an unnecessary expense.

in 1992 I bought a brand new 92 Jaguar Sovereign. I still have it, nearly 20 years later. It hasn't had any of the Murano's issues, easy to maintain, no issues. With the old supposedly cantankerous Jag as a yardstick, the Murano fails miserably by comparison.

however, the Murano has been reliable as a stone in the sense of basic reliability. Always starts, no matter the weather, has never stranded me, just the stupid things breaking and the ridiculous cost of Nissan parts as compared to even Jaguar parts has pissed me off so badly that once this one dies finally, whatever replaces it will not be another Nissan. I mean, come on, Nissan, surely designing a sun visor that stays where it is supposed to, and doesn't cost a small fortune to replace with another one of the same crappy design, or a drivers seat frame that could survive normal use, or a front grill that would retain its coating, or a cup holder, can't be beyond corporate resources, surely........

Paul

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 03 now has 100,300 miles on it. The only non-routine maintenance required was front hub replacement on both sides. By far, the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

·
Registered
146 Posts
We initially loved our Murano...then we absolutely hated it. It was the worst vehicle I have ever owned, period. I still gave it a 3 just because of the joy we had for about 35k...

When we went to buy our Murano, the one thing we kept thinking "this is gonna last a long time"...and then the problems started and never stopped. We will never buy another Assan (Nissan) product again.

As I've said many times before, I warn everyone that owns a Murano...it's just a matter of time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had nissan all my life and I think they are reliable cars and trucks. I had my Mo for about two month now and they change CVT @ 78k and I still think its a reliable car to own. Its More reliable then the Mercedes Benz that my sister has. That for sure!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts