Votes: 8 7.4%
  • 1 not reliable

Votes: 8 7.4%

• Total voters
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Losing 10k on the car swap could have bought you a new CVT and a TC or a new engine and a TC if it was to ever fail on you.......just saying. What car did you get this time? Good luck.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
My question is if this was going to be your "last car" why didn't w one. I certainly wouldn't buy a used car, especially one with 48,000 miles, as my "last car." That doesn't even make sense to me. It would have probably taken you 4 years to get 48,000 on a new one, and you would have known how those miles were driven.

I bought one used car in my life. It was a 1988 Cadillac Sedan DeVille that was a year old and had 11,000 miles on it. It was a beautiful car and I paid about 1/2 what I would have paid for a new one. But, I could never get the feeling of "used" out of my mind. I kept it for 5 years and then went back to buying new.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The first problem I encountered (being totally truthful...I bought a 48K previously owned but Nissan Premium Certified used car) because it was beautiful. White with chrome, all the bells and whistles, even TV monitors in the headrests and wireless headsets. My previous training for logic and research left me like a teenager on his first date. I fell in love...with design, accessories, presentation, color combos, leather, everything activated by voice....you get the picture.

I even spent almost $1600 on a premium Nissan extended warranty just to relieve my anxiety that I'd never have to worry about another thing for the rest of my life.

Now to the crux of the issue. I bought it at 48K miles...OK...I accepted the fact it had 48K...but it's the flagship of the fleet...it's the LE right? Well the flagship has some flaws...and they exist in the superstructure...not in the bling.
Sorry for your plight. But even you admit you were blinded by a car that obviously got a GREAT detail job to cover up the fact that it had been run into the ground in just 2 years! There is nothing normal about an 09 car bought in 11, that had already amassed 48K miles. That's a TON (IMHO, of course) of miles for a car only 2 years old. Our 04 Mo (a DD AND trip car bought new 10/04, and now performing almost flawlessly 7 1/2 years later with almost 100K miles on it) didn't hit 48K until it was 3 1/2 years old.

And wouldn't that costly warranty have covered the multitude of problems you started to encounter as soon as you bought this car? Plus, didn't this car come with a detailed maintenance record as part of its warranty?

While some might consider the LE to be the `flagship' model, personally, I reserve that label for SE's. Though even had you searched one of those out, an SE too could have likely been as big a lemon had it been driven as hard as your poor car was in it's short (2 year) life before it was dumped back on the market.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
There are no "SE" models any more. The models out now are the S, SV, SL, and LE. The LE is the top of the line model with all the bells and whistles. And I agree, a 2 year old car with 48,000 miles is driven a lot. Our company vehicles are run from 40,000 to 60,000 in 2 years, and they are on the road everyday doing a lot of driving. I put about 22,000 - 24,000/year on my company vehicle and I can tell you I drive a lot. My MO only averages 6,000 - 8,000/year depending on how much vacation driving we do, and how many trips I make to my daughter's house.

If I was buying a used 2 year old car, I would be looking for one with under 25K. Anything over that tells me the car has been used pretty hard in it's short life.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
There are no "SE" models any more.
I know. That's why my current (04 SE) Murano will be my last one of those, and Maximas (my last 2 of those were both SE's as well) were taken off my list of potential next cars long ago too. Since Mos are marketed to mostly an older demo, I understand why the sporty model of those was dropped. But Maximas? That makes zero sense to me. Unless, again due to the older demo that mostly buys those cars, there just wasn't enough demand for a sporty sedan.

With some trepidation, I recently traded in my last (95, with over 220K miles) Maxima on my first used car in many years - a 3 year old (one owner, just off lease) BMW 335xi. This car had impeccable maintenance records that showed it had almost no problems for the 3 years it had been on the road, and had 35K miles. Plus, I paid a little extra (bought it as a CPO from a BMW dealer) to get a 2 year extension on the BMW warranty that still had one year left any way. I would have stayed with a Nissan/Infiniti in a heartbeat, had I been able to get a sporty (MT, AWD, sport seats and suspension) sedan.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Nitely.... C'mon. Does that line of thought really make sense?

....yeah, just thinkin aloud I guess. See, from what I recall, he had the head gasket coolant leak fixed under warranty and the TC leak which he may have paid for to fix. And some other small stuff but thats about it. I don't blame him for loosing confidence in the car, but his fear that it will all fall apart cost him 10k in the end. He was anitcipating the worst will happen thats why he let go. But its just a guess. His MO could have held up after the repairs and he will still be driving the car that caught his eye to begin with. That is a big deal for me. Whenever I buy a car I make sure I like it alot. That way I will take care of it for many years even if at times it does not make sense. Thats why it takes me a long time to pick one cause I make sure I will never get tired of looking at it or driving/riding it for 10 + years. I'd rather stick to my first choice than getting the second choice and possibly having to deal with another set of issues which always seems to be the case on most cars. Thats just me though. Anyways, the deal is done and this is all academic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
.... Whenever I buy a car I make sure I like it alot. That way I will take care of it for many years even if at times it does not make sense...

You are so right. Always buy the car you like and makes you happy when you drive it. The most reliable car in the world is no good if you don't like it. In fact, it is worse because you suffer with it for a longer time because it is so "reliable" that it is difficult to rationalize getting rid of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 2004 SE
I made the purchase in 2006 with 15K on the odo. It now has 113K
Here is my rundown:
I have taken it on several 2 week road trips over the years. I may have second thoughts in the future.
I just experienced a Camshaft Position Sensor failure while in Lake Tahoe. Mo made it home OK
I use 10/30 Mobil 1 or Castrol Synthetic Oil and I change it at about every 5K miles. I have replaced brakes, tires and the Shocks of course. The unexpected issues have been: CVT tranny failure at 80K. Future Nissan of Roseville replaced the faulty valve under warranty. Later I had a cracked rear manifold, spark plug coil and now the camshaft position sensor. I tend to use Rockauto Parts and I am currently waiting for new Hitachi Sensors.
Despite this, it is the best vehicle I have owned. It is very comfortable on long trips. The leather seats are very comfortable. It can tow a trailer, I can pack it full of gear and kids and still go up the steep grades at 65MPH + , I love the power of the 3.5L V6 AND I can modestly offroad the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
The unexpected issues have been: CVT tranny failure at 80K. Future Nissan of Roseville replaced the faulty valve under warranty.
Did you have a transmission failure, just a failed valve, or both? Those are different things. Curious. I would consider a "transmission failure" to be a major breakdown requiring a transmission rebuild or replacement. Since yours is a first generation vehicle, it could have been a total failure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just got my first Murano (2010) this month and I really can't tell from history experience but from what I've seen - which may seem helpful to some or not - the CarFax report has been shown it has been regularly maintained well. Nothing wrong so far and I think it's great.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I voted Not Reliable. That's based on my 14 warranty claims within 18 months of ownership. Problems stemming all across the board. Mechanical, Electrical and everything in between. Never had this many issues with any other car I've ever owned.... combined. So that's my reason for the low score.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I voted reliable. The 07 we bought brand new is still running strong 11 yrs later, obviously with some repairs done and such. But nothing extremely major. I just got my own '18 a month ago and while it's a pure jewel, I can honestly say that I liked it better when the Japs had their hands on it. The 07 is firm, solid and sporty, while the '18 isn't that sporty but more so tuned for luxury and comfort. But I love both and will always be a fan of Mo!!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I still have the MO even though it may be too short in time and timelength to determine anything but however I never had any problem with mine.

Mine is a 2010, got it in aug 2017 with 70k miles. Now it have 91k miles on it, did the 90k maintaince as due, still not a problem. It probably too short but with proper document and history of maintaince done with it, I am sure it'll be fine over 200k.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts