Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents are in the market for a new / slightly used car. They were considering an '04 Maxima when they came accross the Murano. Now I think they are leaning towards getting a Murano and asked me what I thought since I am the car guy of the family :)

My main concern is how is the reliability of the Murano? I know there was an alternator recall but that's not a big deal if taken care of. Here are my questions:

1. I am really concerned about the CVT. Are the CVTs built to last 200,000+ miles? My parents are Nissan fans since they bought their '94 Maxima. It has nearly 200,000 miles on it and has been trouble free for the most part! I would be willing to recommend the Murano to them if it is comparable to a Maxima in reliablity. The Murano is a great SUV overall.

2. Would you recommend buying an '04 Murano over the '03? I know they probably fixed some issues in the second year but I don't know how significant that was. Is it worth it to pay a few thousand more for an '04?

Thanks for your support. I am a new member and hopefully I can get some insight into the Murano. I myself have considered the Murano and FX35 before but never ended up buying one yet :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi welcome to the site, iknow that you glean lots of good info. I bought my 2003 Mo used with 28Km on it(presently has 68000KM). I have had only two issues, 1 with the alternator and 2, with the transfer case. Both were replaced under warranty. Other that that I have had no trouble and plan on keeping it for the long haul. I researched the car and the CVT for almost a year and fill that I made the right decision in buying it. :29:

·
Registered
781 Posts
I don't think anyone has that many miles on a Murano yet (at least not here). We had one member who was around 100K. So I don't think anyone can predict the longevity of the CVT with any accuracy.

I'm scared from the aspect it can't be rebuilt (or that's the dealership rumor). The only option is a $5000 replacement. Yikes!

But...there haven't been many failures.

I love the Murano. It has been somewhat trouble-free. I'd have no problems buying another if my lifestyle required it.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
No major issues with my 03. As you may know the engine is pretty much bullet proof. As you point out and I share the same concerns is with the CVT.

I often wonder if I made a mistake. I have put great faith in Nissan and their testing (hopefully better than the alternator group).

I think 200,000 miles is a magic number for me too. Obviously you can tell what my final decission was but sometimes I do find myself wondering if I will regret it.

At any rate, now I don't and my 03 has been running great. I don't think there is much difference between an 03 and an 04 as I would have thought they might have addressed some of the interior noise issues but from reading this forrum it doesn't appear so.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for some good info. Any more is always appreciated.

Yes, the engine is spectacular. I have been a Nissan fan as well and almost bought a 350Z - instead of a Murano :) - but that didn't happen either. I need a sports car as well as a great car to cruise and travel with.

The Murano has almost everything I would want in a Crossover SUV....and this is in comparison to other SUVs:
Great Fuel Economy with CVT
Front Drive with AWD option (better than RWD with AWD...for snow)
Great Styling
Great Interior Room
Great Ride

So anyway, I really don't know what to tell my parents to get. It's either an '04 Maxima or an '04 Murano

By the way, the reason I asked about first year problems is because the 350Z had a huge problem with Tire Feathering in first year and half-way through second. The front tires are eaten up at about 10k miles which gets expensive to replace. Usually there are some more major glitches manufactures fix up by the second year. If this is not so in the Murano then I will tell them to consider '03 as well.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Kan-O-Z said:
Thanks for some good info. Any more is always appreciated.

Yes, the engine is spectacular. I have been a Nissan fan as well and almost bought a 350Z - instead of a Murano :) - but that didn't happen either. I need a sports car as well as a great car to cruise and travel with.

The Murano has almost everything I would want in a Crossover SUV....and this is in comparison to other SUVs:
Great Fuel Economy with CVT
Front Drive with AWD option (better than RWD with AWD...for snow)
Great Styling
Great Interior Room
Great Ride

So anyway, I really don't know what to tell my parents to get. It's either an '04 Maxima or an '04 Murano

By the way, the reason I asked about first year problems is because the 350Z had a huge problem with Tire Feathering in first year and half-way through second. The front tires are eaten up at about 10k miles which gets expensive to replace. Usually there are some more major glitches manufactures fix up by the second year. If this is not so in the Murano then I will tell them to consider '03 as well.
It was intersting to note that the used car bible in Canada called Lemon Aid actually recommended the 03 Murano which is high praise from Phil Edmonston for a 1st year car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Murano Vs. Maxima

I own a 03 Murano now and had a 1995 Maxima before the Mo. I put 250,000 miles on the Maxima with no major problems. Just Oil, Gas, tires and the usual maintenance. I can say the Maxima is a great car.
I have the Mo now and I amclose to 100,000 miles and have had great luck with it until the CVT went out. No warning just quit on the highway. Now I am sure that not every CVT will fail but, I would not say they won't either. It is a great SUV and I still enjoy her very much. Other than the CVT I have had no other problems except a weld on the AC broke. And the CD player ocassionally shorts the left channel. But I think they may have fixed that problem. Really they must decide whether they want a sedan or a SUV. The MO is quite nice and rather sporty also.

Randy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think they definitely like the seating position on the MO better than the Max.

I was looking at fuel economy and it's not too far off...about 2MPG less on the MO. I know it's rated like 24 on MO and 28 on Max but in consumer reports, they averaged 19 for mixed driving on the MO and 21 on the Max so not too different.

I do see now the Audi is also using a CVT on the A4. I think once these become more proven, they will catch on. I am still a little worried about the CVT for them but I think I will tell them to go with the MO anyway. I wonder what percentage of people here have over 100k miles and of them, what percentage have had no failures.

Kan-O-Z

·
Registered
982 Posts
Kan-O-Z said:
My parents are in the market for a new / slightly used car. They were considering an '04 Maxima when they came accross the Murano. Now I think they are leaning towards getting a Murano and asked me what I thought since I am the car guy of the family :)

My main concern is how is the reliability of the Murano? I know there was an alternator recall but that's not a big deal if taken care of. Here are my questions:

1. I am really concerned about the CVT. Are the CVTs built to last 200,000+ miles? My parents are Nissan fans since they bought their '94 Maxima. It has nearly 200,000 miles on it and has been trouble free for the most part! I would be willing to recommend the Murano to them if it is comparable to a Maxima in reliablity. The Murano is a great SUV overall.

2. Would you recommend buying an '04 Murano over the '03? I know they probably fixed some issues in the second year but I don't know how significant that was. Is it worth it to pay a few thousand more for an '04?

Thanks for your support. I am a new member and hopefully I can get some insight into the Murano. I myself have considered the Murano and FX35 before but never ended up buying one yet :)
I sold my 2003 Maxima SE with 11,000 miles on it in March... and bought a 2005 Murano. My opinion... they are both awesome. One is not better then the other... it comes down to what you prefer.

I wanted the space. I was very upset when I bought a BBQ at home depot and was in the parking lot taking it out of the box and putting the parts in the trunk, back seat and passenger seat because the box would not fit in the car/trunk. The trunk opening is not very large. I now keep my golf clubs and cart in my Murano trunk and still have a lot of room for other stuff.

The maxima drove great in the snow, I haven't driven the Murano in the snow.

The maxima had a lot more power. It was fast off the start or when needed while passing. The maxima had a lot smoother ride the Murano.

I had also had a Nissan 240sx before my Maxima.... so I'm also a Nissan fan. No one can probably tell you if the CVT will last to 200,000 miles since they are only 3 years old so far. I would say you can't go wrong with either, but it comes down to if they want a car that drives like a sports car or a SUV which drives like a car.

I hope that helps you some...

·
5,244 Posts
OK, you got me thinking. What CVT reliability data looks like? What is the failure distribution rate? Is this infant mortality? Random? Wear out? I would really be happy with infant one as one would expect relatively trouble free usage later on. So I took limited data we have on this site and this is what I got - infant mortality rate!

Before anyone one jump in – yes I know, it is not scientific, we do not have enough data. I did not run true Weibull analysis, but the pattern is there. See for yourself………

PS. I would love to see Nissan data!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Not to be critical, but I am confused.

You show the number of failures on the side........?

And it starts with 2.

So less than that must be 1.

But there are little 1s and big 1s?

Homer

·
5,244 Posts
hfelknor said:
Not to be critical, but I am confused.

You show the number of failures on the side........?

And it starts with 2.

So less than that must be 1.

But there are little 1s and big 1s?

Homer
The "big 1s" is 1, the "small 1s" is actually 0.5 filures per 10k/miles. I have elected to go with 10k miles "bins" so the bar hights represent faulire rates - number of failures/10k miles......I hope I am making sense out of it...

·
5,244 Posts
OK, let's try one more time..

Attachments

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Logical to me

Normal distribution curve of infantile and aged failures. Nothing else could be expected. As a percentage failure rate it's outstanding. Average Transmission should go 150,000 miles depending on driving style and AWD vs FWD. IMO

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks a lot for all your help. I feel more comfortable with the CVT. In theory it should be the ultimate transmission and once it's proven may be used very widely.

Another question since I am not familiar with the warranty. I know the warranty covers the CVT but how long is that for? If you get an extended warranty with Nissan, how much does that extend the CVT coverage?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Its part of the drive-train so that makes it 5 years or 60,000 miles - whichever come first.

As to an extended warranty depends on which option you purchase. In Canada you can extend to 84 months (2 years more) and 120,000 km which would be about 75,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
In the US you can get 7 years, 100,000 miles.

Homer

·
Registered
124 Posts
Buy something cheaper ?

Kan-O-Z - how old are your parents and how is their income - retired? I love my Murano and all but if your parents don't drive that much and don't have a huge chunk of money, why spend 37k ? Don't get me wrong, I hate GM, have had good luck with Ford, I'm not promoting them but they've got some good deals out there. I'm just mentioning it because I can identify with having older parents. If yours are young - 50's or whatever - and travel etc. then yes, maybe they need and can afford something at a higher level.

·
Registered
46 Posts
While I do love the MO, it'd have to have about 280hp (i.e.: FX35) for me to trade into it from a 5.5G Maxima.

That said, I kept my 02 Maxima and just leased my 05 MO.....Now I have a VQ35DE x 2 in garage. :2:

That said, I'm not worried in the least about the Mo's CVT but, I do wish it wasnt as sluggish off the line. (My Maxima BOLTS off the line under PT....WOT=Burnout display)

·
Registered
361 Posts
hfelknor said:
In the US you can get 7 years, 100,000 miles.

Homer
Now that I look back at the extended warranty brochure 160,000km (100,000 miles) is available, but only for 6 years.

So does that mean Nissan thinks Canadians drive more in less time? :2: :2:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts