Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this comparison on Murano's resale with other vehicles on Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/nissan/murano/100196155/cto.html?step=2&setzip=93065&tid=edmunds.n.cto.cto.2.2.Nissan*#compare

Surprisingly Murano is listed at the high end of depreciation. Even Chevy Trialblazer holds its value better than Murano (as per Edmunds) and depreciation of Murano is on par with Ford explorer.

Do you believe any of these data are even closer to reality ?

I think Murano being a Nissan vehicle with it's award winning VQ engine should hold value much better than Explorer or Trial Blazer.

If Edmund's data are wrong, we should ask them to correct it.

Any comments ?

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
I dont know about the resale value, but i happened to be looking at edmunds site last night and doing a comparison between the MO and all the other vehicles they will compare it to. There is quite a bit of incorrect information there or information that they could easily obtain is listed as "researching". I guess you just have to take things lightly. If I remember correctly, one review had the transmission rated as a 4 out of 10. What a bunch of crackheads! :confused:

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a hard time figuring out how they're calculating their Murano depreciation figures. Wouldn't depreciation be a function of the used cars actual selling prices?

Re-sale data from the 2003 Murano has to be almost non-exsistent at this point in time (12 months on the market). I realize we're not all of the Murano owners but how many people on these boards have traded in or sold theirs yet (1-2?).

On the other hand, the Trailblazer has a (relatively) long sales history behind it and I'm sure fairly high resale units over the last few years that would make it pretty easy to "guess-estimate" the depreciation.

Not something I would be concerned about YET.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would assume they use lease residual values as guidelines to estimate depreciation for new models.

What are the residual value for those who leased? Care to share?

·
Registered
43 Posts
A loaded SL AWD w/ nav and 12K miles reigns in at $27,795 (or around that) on KBB.com. I believe it costs $34K for all that new?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think next year, we will get a much clearer picture with more data available.

Also Edmund's ridiculous review this year against the Murano's CVT will scare away people from buying the Murano. On the contrary, CVT is extremely good to drive on city streets, since we don't have to endure upshifts and downshifts a hundred times in half a mile.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You are right Randy. When the Murano first came out Nissan Set the depreciation extremely high thus making it more expensive to lease a Murano. They did not want to be stuck with a low depreciation number and then lose money when all the Murano's came off lease. It was a crap shoot for them. I feel that they really set it too high. And that is what Edmund's.com is using. Resale of used Murano's to the public will really set the new depreciation figure. Those of us that leased the Murano might see a gain when the lease is up. In other words if the lease contract shows you can purchase your Murano with 36,000 miles at $17,500 or 1$6,500 at the end of 36 months and the Dealer Trade in value is $21,000 then you have actually have Equity in a lease. This may very well happen. It has happen to me once before with an SUV and I received a $3,500 credit toward a New car simply by treating it as a trade-in. One would be a fool just to turn the M-O in because then your giving Nissan extra money. But time will tell. Im not too concerned about it. I just want to drive my M-O for at least another 3 years. Then maybe trade it in on the New 2006 V-8 supercharged Murano Roadster with 25" rims Sat radio standard with a Posi-CVT transmission.

:2:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
About that supercharger.
I regret to inform you that Nissan has not fabricated the mounting for the charger and we don't expect them to do so during the 2006 model year.

Homer

(There are rumours however that Grubbs Infiniti has modified the F35 bracket for use in the Murano.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts