Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since buying my 2020 Murano I have been reading and listening to reviews on car buying websites and various YouTube channels. The consensus among all of them seem to focus on three areas where the car is behind the competition, steering feel, CVT, and styling. Now, owners reviews are a different story.

I've been driving since 1973 and have owned a wide range of vehicles, many of which were high performance or sports cars. I drove manual transmissions and steering exclusively until about 1994 and still own a total manual car today. When I read the negative reviews about the steering feel I almost laughed. The Murano steering is accurate, you point it where you want and it goes there. Compared to a manual most all power steering cars lacks feedback INHO. I owned a 2017 Maxima before the Murano so I was used to the CVT. It was an adjustment just like when I went to an automatic. The CVT is necessary to get the gas mileage that is mandated by the government. The increase in the arbitrary CAFE standards are challenging for auto manufacturers. I applaud Nissan for sticking with a V6 instead of a turbo I4.

Which brings me to styling. With all the jellybean shaped cars and cookie cutter SUVs to say that the Murano looks bulky is a joke. I know shouldn't get excited about subjective reviews but I thought I'd add some perspective.

As far as the future of Nissan, I see a ton of Nissan cars and trucks on the road where I live. I am not concerned with the future. If the government regulations can be brought back to reality I think future of the automobile with an internal combustion engine will be intact for quite a while.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The 20 inch wheels provide very quick and accurate steering response IMO. I test drove a couple of 3rd gens with 18 inch wheels and found the steering response fairly vague when compared to the 20s, and my '03 with 18s... However, the ride is much smoother with the 18s. I really like the 20s, and think the loss of smooth ride trade-off is worth it.

I also like the light power steering response of the 3rd gens at parking speeds to be a dream compared to my '03 which was much had much heavier steering response @ parking speeds. Sometimes the power steering pump on my '03 couldn't keep up if the wheel was turned suddenly, it would lose power assist for a second or two. This was a known problem that Nissan never addressed with a recall, luckily it didn't occur to often. But when it did, it was quite disconcerting...

·
Registered
504 Posts
I dont have any issues with the steering feel at speed. Seems spot on.

As for parking lot steering, I wouldnt say my 2017 is light at all. If anything, it's probably one of the heaviest I've driven.

Now I've heard some people say they've test driven 2018 and up and the steering seems much lighter. So maybe Nissan improved that.

As for styling. Meh. I'm not thrilled about the exterior. I really like the interior. I bought the car for myself to enjoy and not others on the road.

As for the CVT, I like its acceleration habit of being nice and smooth. Hate its downceleration torque converter unlock feel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't get the steering comments. I have the 18 inch tires and I can drive this car like a motocross bike. Are people trying to race this like an Indy car or something? I just don't get it. I can haul ass in this car and the steering feels absolutely great to me. I've never driven a race car but my 2019 Murano SV all wheel drive does everything I need. My brother has a Tesla with three times the acceleration that I was in just a couple days ago and it became clear to me that I simply don't need it. If I need to pass somebody I can pass somebody as I have plenty of power.

·
Registered
851 Posts

As for parking lot steering, I wouldnt say my 2017 is light at all. If anything, it's probably one of the heaviest I've driven.
Seeing that the Murano has an electric/hydraulic hybrid power steering system, I'm wondering if you have some kind of issue with the running speed of the electric motor. Wondering how the electric motor is speed controlled and can the speed be adjusted? It just might be an issue of the electric motor not spinning fast enough for the required power steering pump pressure to be maintained.

Also, you might want to investigate to see if Nissan made any kind of power steering pump change to bring up the hydraulic pressure al little to make slow speed turning easier after the 2017 model.

Just some thoughts to investigate.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
664 Posts

Now I've heard some people say they've test driven 2018 and up and the steering seems much lighter. So maybe Nissan improved that.
Maybe it has changed, because I couldn't imagine the steering in my '19 being any lighter at parking lot speeds, I probably can turn the steering wheel with just one finger if I wanted too.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't get the steering comments. I have the 18 inch tires and I can drive this car like a motocross bike. Are people trying to race this like an Indy car or something? I just don't get it. I can haul ass in this car and the steering feels absolutely great to me. I've never driven a race car but my 2019 Murano SV all wheel drive does everything I need. My brother has a Tesla with three times the acceleration that I was in just a couple days ago and it became clear to me that I simply don't need it. If I need to pass somebody I can pass somebody as I have plenty of power.
Yeah, I consider the Murano to have all the power I could ever reasonable use. I have never had an issue merging with traffic or passing during my 17 years of Murano ownership.

I once owned a Yamaha FJ1200 for several years. It was so fast that that I could quickly exceed the space needed to slow it down if I wasn't careful, so I know what stupid fast is like...

·
Registered
37 Posts
When we bought our 18 Murano we looked at and drove the competition. We had owned 2 Ford Edges and thought we'd get a third. We drove a new one and hated the seats because of too much side and hip pressure. We stopped at the Nissan lot, my wife saw the Pearl White Midnight Edition, and the rest is history. I'd say the steering response is very good. Light enough but still with great road feel. While I worry about the durability of the cvt I am very impressed with its performance. I can't help but wonder if the cvt doesn't tend to have issues when driven hard but performs very well under normal driving. I don't need to feel shift points to enjoy smooth acceleration. We love the styling and the seat comfort is the best we've experienced. If Nissan prospers going forward I'm anxious to see the new Murano in a couple of years.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Seeing that the Murano has an electric/hydraulic hybrid power steering system, I'm wondering if you have some kind of issue with the running speed of the electric motor. Wondering how the electric motor is speed controlled and can the speed be adjusted? It just might be an issue of the electric motor not spinning fast enough for the required power steering pump pressure to be maintained.

Also, you might want to investigate to see if Nissan made any kind of power steering pump change to bring up the hydraulic pressure al little to make slow speed turning easier after the 2017 model.

Just some thoughts to investigate.

Have a good day.
You're probably right about the electric steering now getting proper voltage. I've been having a low idle vibration for a while now. Also when I turn the wheel o so slightly while stopped, my rpm drop to below 500 and then bounce back up, but with a vibration to the entire car.

Nissan had looked into it and said all appears fine.

Since it's only an intermittent issue.

Maybe I'll change out the battery and go from there hopefully not an alternator issue..

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm going to pickup a timing light to see if the power steering pully changes speed when the steering wheel is moved while the car is standing still.

I don't have any drop in engine RPM when moving the steering wheel while standing still.

I'll let you know any results.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 2015 awd platinum and the steering on this thing is really smooth and amazing. I went with the Murano because of the outside styling and interior styling. Also 87 octane and it has a good amount of power for a SUV. You can fit full size adults in the back of this thing and not have to move seats or anything. Its really comfortable sitting in the back. I would think this is cheaper to fix then a Cadillac.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm going to pickup a timing light to see if the power steering pully changes speed when the steering wheel is moved while the car is standing still.

I don't have any drop in engine RPM when moving the steering wheel while stand still.

I'll let you know any results.

Have a good day.
Thank you for looking into it.

My issue is intermittent. Some days its smooth as butter, with little to no RPM drop at stand still. Other days it drops to about 500RPM and the car vibrates, as if it wants to stall....

Anyway, sorry to hi-jack the thread.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have no issues with the steering, in fact, if anything I'd say its on the heavier side. On this gen I went with 18 inch wheels rather than 20inch. I prefer the better ride and don't feel like I gave up much in handling. It is a SUV and I drive it as such. I think the styling still holds up well and is distinctive. So distinctive in that Lexus copied many elements of it for the RX350. I sampled all the usual competitors before getting another one and am happy with my choice. Nothing compares to the seat comfort in the Murano IMO.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thank you for looking into it.

My issue is intermittent. Some days its smooth as butter, with little to no RPM drop at stand still. Other days it drops to about 500RPM and the car vibrates, as if it wants to stall....

Anyway, sorry to hi-jack the thread.
The upper steering system is pretty much sealed. I was hoping something rotating was exposed.

Going thru the FSM, section STC, pages 5 - 9 it seem that there could be several things causing the issue. After reading some, it seems the steering controller, mounted to the electric driven pump, determines hydraulic pressure needed base on feed back from steering angle, vehicle speed, heat, and steering resistance.

I would be first looking at the steering wheel clock spring, where the steering angle sensor is mounted for dirt or a slight/intermittent contact issue.

There's also a fail-safe mode if the unit gets too hot, cutting pump RPM, which might also be an issue to check into.

Looks like dealer is supposed to connect the Consult to the car and drive while monitoring and recording the steering system under various speed and road conditions for proper diagnostic. If that wasn't done, then they really haven't done their job according to the FSM for a correct diagnose.

Hope this help you out.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The upper steering system is pretty much sealed. I was hoping something rotating was exposed.

Going thru the FSM, section STC, pages 5 - 9 it seem that there could be several things causing the issue. After reading some, it seems the steering controller, mounted to the electric driven pump, determines hydraulic pressure needed base on feed back from steering angle, vehicle speed, heat, and steering resistance.

I would be first looking at the steering wheel clock spring, where the steering angle sensor is mounted for dirt or a slight/intermittent contact issue.

There's also a fail-safe mode if the unit gets too hot, cutting pump RPM, which might also be an issue to check into.

Looks like dealer is supposed to connect the Consult to the car and drive while monitoring and recording the steering system under various speed and road conditions for proper diagnostic. If that wasn't done, then they really haven't done their job according to the FSM for a correct diagnose.

Hope this help you out.

Have a good day.
Thank you! I'll look into all those suggestions. I really appreciate the info.

·
Registered
234 Posts
he steering does feel pretty vague, at least compared to my old Altima. It took me a little while to get used to it, but at first I was having to constantly make steering adjustments because I could never really tell which way the wheels were aiming. It didnt really give as much road feedback as my old car did.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the steering and styling are both fine. I came from a Rogue so was used to the CVT. My biggest complaint about the Murano...the glove box! I have never owned a vehicle with a more hard to access glove box than this Nissan. If I'm reaching over from the driver's side, it's OK. But sitting in the passenger seat and trying to get something out is pretty much impossible because of how low it is and how the dash juts out over the opening. I think I pulled a muscle in my neck trying to search for my wife's phone charger one time 🙃

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
It's a great car. My second Murano, as I had a 2012, as well. I chuckle when I read all the car enthusiasts bash the CVT. That's the reason I bought another Murano. It's so darn smooth and efficient. I'm getting 33+ mpg on the highway at 70+ mph. Let's see you do that in a Ford Edge or Chevy Blazer. Even a Hyundai Santa Fe can't come close.

Drive responsibly and you won't tear up the CVT.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It's a great car. My second Murano, as I had a 2012, as well. I chuckle when I read all the car enthusiasts bash the CVT. That's the reason I bought another Murano. It's so darn smooth and efficient. I'm getting 33+ mpg on the highway at 70+ mph. Let's see you do that in a Ford Edge or Chevy Blazer. Even a Hyundai Santa Fe can't come close.

Drive responsibly and you won't tear up the CVT.
I agree the CVT suits this car well. The acceleration and cruising is spot on. I just wish it was slightly better refined when coming to a stop. I hate that engine braking and nudge when the torque converter releases...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts