Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully been able to install or have the dealer install OEM fog lamps on a Murano S?

OEM lamps with the wires and use the OEM signal stalk with the fog lamp switch? A dealer is saying that you 'Might' need to replace the BCM in addition to the lamps and the stalk. (Which would get expensive)

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
256 Posts
Might be better, easier, cheaper to have aftermarkets installed with their own switch. Then could use them as DRL's if wanted or as fogs are meant to be used...by themselves. I'm sure there is something out there that will come close to fitting the OEM nacels in the bumper.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem is the parts are already installed ( I like the clean OEM look of the factory fogs). I was hoping it would be as easy as the Altima kit. 2 lamps and a signal switch installed (Done)....

I can't be the first person to attempt this... Or am I?

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
midnitexpress said:
Might be better, easier, cheaper to have aftermarkets installed with their own switch. Then could use them as DRL's if wanted or as fogs are meant to be used...by themselves. I'm sure there is something out there that will come close to fitting the OEM nacels in the bumper.

Agreed.

I would prefer the fogs to be able to be operated on their own. That is, without needing to have the headlights on.

I would not fight to have the "factory" set up.

·
Registered
256 Posts
There has been quite a few posts concerning independant operation of the fogs from the headlights. Do a search and you'll find wiring diagrams or bypass.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There wasn't any outcome on that previous 'S' fog lamp thread. (No one had attempted it).

I've looked high and low for a lamp kit "SE","SL", and "S" for the Murano with no luck. Please let me know where I can find one. ..(Maybe I'm missing something from the kit?).

All I want to achieve is the factory fog lamp configuration. No special wiring needed!

Thanks,
Kevin

We'll, I guess I am the first?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Usually installation of the Nissan fog light kit requires the installation of a relay under the hood as well (inside a relay box with the rest of the existing relays for things like ABS, the horn, etc...). Did you install the relay?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
k_garten said:
I've looked high and low for a lamp kit "SE","SL", and "S" for the Murano with no luck. Please let me know where I can find one. ..(Maybe I'm missing something from the kit?).
Sorry bad joke, the "kit" I was referring to was the model of the Murano... SE, SL since they come stanard with it.

Sorry man, I kicked you when you were down to benefit my own enterainment purposes and perhaps that of others on this board.

Sorry. :xnuts:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Believe me, I already had base 'S' model regrets!!!! Not much I can do about that now other then upgrade the features to a SL. Trading it in is not an option for another 4 or so years!

I D/L'ed the Nissan manual, which shows all the relays present. My only option is to ground the fog lamp relay to the headlamp relay (SO at least their on with the lights) or install a separate ground switch for the relay. If anyone hears or knows anything else different from their local Nissan service center, please let me know!!!!

Even the Nissan Consult computer doesn't show the option in the 'S' BCM. (Maybe a future update to the firmware?)

Thanks again for everyones input!!,
Kevin

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
You may wish to running the relay to the parking lights so if you like you can have them on without the need for head lights. I wish the OEMs did that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
SO.....did you ever get the fog lights installed?

I am now faced with the same problem.

Can anyone advise? I have a 05 Murano S.....and I want fog lights.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Until Nissan officially comes out with a fog lamp kit (Which will need a firmware update for the BCM or updated ability to configure it), you'll need to ground the fog lamp relay by other means to activate the lamps.
Since I was the Genie Pig on this one, here is my recommendation:

Purchase the 2002-05 Nissan Altima fog lamp kit.
*The lights are the same
You may also need to purchase 2 fog lamp harnesses (Which can be purchase online for ~$11 each * 2.)
* Although the kit may come with them.

Don't bother using the fog lamp stalk, you waste your time installing it.

Wire the signal ground for the head lamps to the signal ground for the fog lamps. Whenever the lights are on will cause the fog lamps to also come on. You can optionally wire a switch to control this.
* This signal ground is the wire from the CPU that triggers the relay to come on. d/l the complete manual from nissantech (I think) for $20.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I am quite surprised the S model does not come prewired for foglights. On every other high end Nissan, even if the model did come with foglights, the harnesses were usually there, and all one had to do was mount the foglights, install a factory relay, and swap out the factory turn signal stalk with one that had a switch on it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was hoping it would have been that easy!

The main electrical harness has the wiring; however there is a 1 foot harness that bridges the gap between the fog lamps and main harness plugs.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
k_garten said:
I was hoping it would have been that easy!

The main electrical harness has the wiring; however there is a 1 foot harness that bridges the gap between the fog lamps and main harness plugs.
That stinks - Nissan is so cheap!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Something interesting

I was looking at this link... http://www.mynissanparts.com/pc-49-23-fog-light-kit.aspx

And I noticed they had a kit for 2002-2004 and another for strictly 2005 (ALTIMA).....so I was wondering which might be better to try for my 2005 Murano. I mean technically I could be wired for 2002-2004 right???

I am thinking of adding leather also from katzkin....anybosy had any luck with them?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 2002-04 kit should be the same lights.

I purchased leather through the dealership as an aftermarket option. Paid $1100, which is pretty good. (Quality not the same as OEM but close). If your going to do it, make sure you get all seating surfaces in leather (including the rear bench).
I purchased a kit from autoleathers.com for a Lexus IS300 to replace wanabee suede which was a very good quality leather. Also, make sure the seatback side is stiched for the airbags.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
k_garden,

Did you use the altima stalk that came with the kit? That may have been your problem, because the Murano stalk is different based on the dealer I spoke to. They also said that a relay would be required. I wonder if these could have been the issue?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts