Nissan Murano Forum banner

Murano Safety - Crash Testing and Real Crashes

15K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  Enforcer 
#1 ·
I noticed there wasn't a place for test results and real results to be posted of Murano crashes.

While I hope no one ever has to experience it, a few have already and I think what I've seen so far has made me feel pretty good about the Murano, in it's ability to protect the occupants in a crash.

So I'll make this a sticky. If you've experienced a crash, please post pictures. If you've seen one that's been crashed, please link to it, if possible.

So far on NissanMurano.org, here's some links:

Murano rollover and frontal crash test...
CNN Testing SUV in minor Crash!
Murano Saved Wife's Life-
I miss my MO!!
Murano crash test
Murano is defenseless!
Murano Crash Test
Crash tests - Murano scores a win

Added 7 March 05:
Failed seat belt and drivers airbag

Added 2 Dec 05:
Enforcers Crash

From Freshalloy...
FA: When it's good that you walked away!!!

Added 16 May 2006
big_daddy_mpd's Crash

Added 26 June 2006
princymisy crash
iiiwabibitoiii crash

Added 25 July 2006
PhongZ crash
milgrad crash

Added 2 Aug 2006
jmeitz crash

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow Nice work dude. :20:

Nizmo

#6 ·
#7 ·
Seat belts that think like airbags
Great, just what we need, know-it-all Seat Belts!

Oh, Oh, I see, Car Airbags... Silly me...:p

#8 ·
Teen in critical condition after highspeed chase ending in crash

by Mindy Fothergill, KUAM News
Wednesday, January 19, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 15-year-old teen is in critical condition at the Guam Memorial Hospital after he led police on a highspeed chase and then crashed on Route 16 in Dededo. This afternoon traffic was blocked off in front of Rustan's Foreign Exchange as police investigated a motorcycle/car crash. Highway Patrol Officer Jed Santo Tomas says a 15-year-old was first spotted in Yigo going at a high rate of speed.

Officers attempted to pull the motorcyclist over, however the teen refused and evaded police until he was seen on Route 16. Santo Tomas says the minor ran numerous red lights and drove in the oncoming lane several times while fleeing police. His joyride ended when he crashed into a 2004 Nissan Murano attempting to make a left turn off of Taitano Road. The motorcyclist slid at least 250 feet and sustained major damage to his legs. Police confirm he was not a licensed driver.

They cannot release his identity because he is a minor. The teen is still being treated at the Guam Memorial Hospital's Emergency Room.

Two thoughts on this:

1) No mention of the Murano occupants condition, so I can only assume, well protected and OK.

2) Guam. I wonder if it was Jon's Murano? (For those of you that have been around long enough to remember him...)

#9 ·
JAAK if you liked that here is what we are putting in COMMERCIAL Airliners in Europe. I call it the "Inflatabelt" It is totally self contained, crash detector, inflator and battery powered firing system, Battery good for over 10 years, clips right where the regulation seatbelt goes.

Attachments

#10 ·
This is during the crash, about 50 milliseconds later than before. Belive it or not I invented this 10 years ago and just now going to market. The big thrill was crashing a simulation of a 767. The FAA said that all would have lived. The whole thing is folded up within the seatbelt 1/2 inch wider and 1/2 thicker that regulation belt.

Just think of that in stead of a seatbelt, No shoulder harness and NO air bags, saves over a grand per vehicle. No kid injuries either.

Attachments

#11 ·
Sounds pretty neat Grip. I am guessing here the bag inflates with minimal force to prevent injury to the occupant, right?

Clever device, I hope it finds a way into cars and airlines here in the US.

#12 ·
I have sat behind it over a dozen times. Never a bruise. It inflates away from you and then fills back toward you. The bag is behind the seatbelt after the deployment and effectively pushes you back toward the seat. The pillows rest on your thighs and as your body rotates forward from the "G" forces you squeeze the bag between your chest and legs. Not dash is required. It's great for school buses, tour buses. Virgin Airways has already deployed.

These are two frames from a movie seperated by ablout 20 milliseconds. If you tell me how and I'll post a tiny movie here that shows it in effectively real time on this man ( My bosses boss) with sound. And you know we don't want to hurt the Executive VP. of a $7Billion buck company.

#13 ·
That's cool Don, but I really want to keep this thread focused on Murano crashes only. Especially for those visiting that are considering a Murano and want an idea of how safe it is.

Mind if we chop this off and move it to a new thread?

#14 ·
Well actually I think it would be great in a thread about the safety features of the vehicle and the technology in general. Hmm...

Now I'm starting to come full circle on this and thinking maybe this thread should develop into it, as that's the intent, really...

Thoughts? I'm just one guy...

(That's why I keep coming here... New ideas pop up all the time!):blahblah:

#15 ·
jaak said:
Now I'm starting to come full circle on this and thinking maybe this thread should develop into it, as that's the intent, really...
I agree. I don't really know of many threads that stay on the original topic after a while. They usually evolve into something else full of good info and usefull help, yet still related. I personally prefer it this way and welcome the expertise from those that can offer them. Otherwise I just read the manual!
:2:

#16 ·
OK, good enough for me!:D

Evolve, we shall....:1:

#17 ·
Just thot I would point out the obvious major drawback to "evolving" posts.

They are invisible to those who would search for them later.

I especially hate to see them in technical discussions of specific Murano merit.

Besides a new thread is cheap.......

Not that this thread doesn't have merit........ :)

Homer

#18 ·
Hey put it where it belongs. I also find it difficult when looking for info and can't find it on the right tread.

I know that this is not the place for all inflatable restraint discussions.

There are lots of thought that cross and the synergism is sometimes rewarding. Remember antidisestablishmentarianism is not always bad. (in this case it means not being opposed to the changing of the standard rule)

#19 ·
Also of value in this thread, and I'll edit the first post to add it as well, so it's not lost in visibility.

Failed seat belt and drivers airbag

And to comment on thread splitting, if the comments are long detailed and numerous and could stand well on their own as a thread, while improving the intent of the original thread's focus and clarity, then I believe it's appropriate to split them.

After all, why have that function available.

Also, don't depend on the moderators to make that decision only. If you see a thread that you think qualifies, let us know and if it's sensible to do so, it will be done.

Evolution is useful, but sometimes the children of topics need to strike out on their own and get a new house.

#20 ·
The IIHS website site details several midcycle changes to the Murano to improve crash safety.

All Muranos manufactured after 6/03 have additional structural reinforcement for better frontal crash protection. After 9/03, the drivers side floorboard was modified with padding for additional crash protection.

Too bad my Murano was built 4/03!

:(

#21 ·
Never mind that, mine was built 10/02!

#23 ·
My MO saved my life!

This past Friday, I was in a pretty bad car accident. I was making a left turn. I had the green light for a good 3 seconds. In the on-coming traffic lane, this girl in a blue minivan ran a red light and hit Lilly t-bone style at about 40 mph. Everyone involved came out relatively okay, including everyone in the van. The 3 of us in my MO suffered no major injuries. Only bumps and bruises.

I whole-heartedly believed the engineering behind the MO saved our lives. All the airbags activated. The MO automatically went into neutral. I'm not sure if that's a safety feature or if it just happened, but it's a lot better than being in gear and absorbing all the shock. None of the glass shattered. And the MO definitely gave more than it took.

Although I *HATE* Nissan as a company, the MO is a great piece of engineering. And I'm seriously considering the 2006 MO for my next car. If you drive a MO, you can have peace of mind that you'll be taken care of if you ever get in an accident!!

Here are some pics:

I got t-boned right on the front axle portion

All the airbags activated, to include the side curtain ones

#24 ·
mackdaddie12

good to see you are OK! And it is most important. The car can be replaced.....

Murano - once again it proved to be a safe car...

#25 ·
Re: My MO saved my life!

mackdaddie12 said:
This past Friday, I was in a pretty bad car accident. I was making a left turn. I had the green light for a good 3 seconds. In the on-coming traffic lane, this girl in a blue minivan ran a red light and hit Lilly t-bone style at about 40 mph. Everyone involved came out relatively okay, including everyone in the van. The 3 of us in my MO suffered no major injuries. Only bumps and bruises.
Glad you and the passangers are OK!
How old was the girl in the minivan? Another teen drivers?
Did her insurance pick up the repair/replacement bills? .....;)

#26 ·
mackdaddie12-

It's good to see that you were able to walk away from that one. It's also good to know that the Murano has proved to be a safe and protective car to drive.

Concerning the car going into neutral... It's doubtful that it is a safety feature. I think it can be attributed to something breaking under the hood. Though with today's electronics you never know. I heard somewhere that when the airbags deploy, the fuel pump will disconnect and the doors will unlock. Whether this is the case or not I haven't got a clue.

Anyway, it's good to know no one was hurt.

-njjoe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.